The Hardest Lesson

astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
I was departing ORD yesterday, through a reasonable haze layer, thinking back to my (never ending) PPL training. Of course, hanging out with all of your friends, each one of them whispering "finish the damn rating", has a way of getting the old gears churning.

--

The haze layer reminded me of what my CFI called "the hardest lesson". Every student has one, and that is one that they have, usually by themselves, where they have to apply every little aspect of their training, up to that point, and make a decision.

Sometime in late June, I arrived at the airport for my long XC. I had set a hard goal: PPL by 7/30, my birthday, that year. I had it all done, just a long XC and a few "141-ish" phase checks (I was part 61 at a 141 school) before I would be cleared to test. The Long XC was the biggest hurdle remaining.

Weather was 10SM, but PIREPS had a haze layer about with viz in the 8s. I knew better, but thought "the PIREPS look good, I want to finish this thing". Haze along the south NE coast in the summer is a bear.

Review plan with CFI, file plan, depart. Climbing out above 2500, I'm in "the haze. I swear, it was like flying in a grey colored cone. I could see about 4-5 miles around me, and that was it. I had to transit PVD's Charlie, two Deltas, and arrive at two Deltas. Who the hell was I kidding? However, I still climbed on. I remember calling flight service and trying to get an update on PIREPs and OBS, to see if there was something positive ahead of me. Nope, same stuff I heard 45 minutes before when I filed my flight plan. Crap.

At this point, I decided to return. I was, to be honest, scared. I was alone, I couldn't (very much), and the pattern was full of people flying in for breakfast. I'd be on a non standard entry if I arrived from the west, so I would need to either loop way to the south and join in, or fly over the field and decend into a 45. I hated the 45 on a busy day, but I felt it was my best option. I called up PVD, changed my routing, and PVD asked if I wanted any help getting back to PYM. I replied no; I knew where I was and where I was going, and I'd call him back if I had an issue. Oddly enough, I filed a PIREP from the air, as it gave me some sense of comfort to focus on the task.

Crossing over the field, I couldn't locate a particular airplane that called about a mile in front of me. Further freaked, I repeated my position, and we figured out where we both were. As you can probably tell, I made it back, safely, and had a lot of food for thought.

This was my hardest lesson because I had to be honest with myself -- everything else was saying "this is a bad idea to continue" -- but I wouldn't admit it. I kept on flying and could have, as a lowly student, put myself (and my CFI), in a lot of hot water, or even worse. I had to use the little bit of judgement I had left (the rest I was willingly ignoring), and do the right thing. So often, we are racing to finish the rating, to fly alone, to work on the next rating, to go flying with friends. But, the whole point of my training (in retrospect), wasn't just learning how to fly the plane, it was knowing when to fly the plane. I had an idea how bad the haze was, and when my personal forecast was true, I didn't immediately turn around. I let my desire to finish my rating override the judgement my CFI had been helping me learn.

--

To everyone working on their rating(s)... some day, you'll have your hardest lesson. Relax, focus on what you know, and keep honing your judgement.

Cheers,

-Andrew

This was my hardest lesson because I had to be honest with myself -- everything else was saying "this is a bad idea to continue" -- but I wouldn't admit it. I kept on flying and could have, as a lowly student, put myself (and my CFI), in a lot of hot water, or even worse. I had to use the little bit of judgement I had left (the rest I was willingly ignoring), and do the right thing. So often, we are racing to finish the rating, to fly alone, to work on the next rating, to go flying with friends. But, the whole point of my training (in retrospect), wasn't just learning how to fly the plane, it was knowing when to fly the plane. I had an idea how bad the haze was, and when my personal forecast was true, I didn't immediately turn around. I let my desire to finish my rating override the judgement my CFI had been helping me learn.
I wouldn't be that hard on yourself because you did turn around, eventually. It's always tempting to continue and it gets harder and harder to turn around the closer you get to your destination. I agree with your point about setting artificial time goals, though. Sometimes nature and other factors don't cooperate and it's not a good idea to force it.

A good and well-written lesson, Andrew.

But, as Mari said, don't be too hard on yourself. During primary training especially, one gets very eager to fly. It's a common error to ignore the feelings of "this is a bad idea" and go anyway. With time and experience, the judgement becomes easier. I actually got the plane off the ground for my attempted trip to Gaston's last year. Made it about as far as you, turned around, came back home.

Looking back, I was brutal on myself at the time. I had been a hardcore weather geek and I knew this stuff in and out.

Now, I'm not so hard on myself, and use it as a reminder for artificial goals and the product they produce. It's hard to believe that it has been nearly 7 years since that flight.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Andrew, you remind me of one I had, just after completing my PP. I was taking Celia to Ardmore, OK (exotic destinations are the order of the day in GA!) for a romantic dinner. WX was "clear," with "10 miles" visibility. Ten, my azz!

I climbed fairly high (for me, then), because of some radio towers on the way, and could not help but notice just how poor the visibility was; I could see down, just fine, but the haze was such that I had no real horizon (your "cone" description captures it perfectly). I was glad for my CFI's advice, that if you maintain a heading, your wings won't go upside-down. I really should have just bugged-out, turned-tail and flown home, but my pride and poor sense precluded that.

So we landed and ate (that was all an adventure, itself), and I was really scared about flying home in the dark, but as it turns out, the night-time lights on the ground are enough to give an excellent horizon reference, even in that haze (which would not have worked in a sparsely-populated area).

OBTW, I never whispered, Andrew; mine's right out loud! ;-)

I did my dual cross country on August 25th (2005) and was ready at that point repeat that trip solo. Then weather set in (it's hurricane season here) followed by travel (mine & my CFI's - at different times). Finally scheduled for October 10th. I arrived at the airport and thought the clouds looked low. It was probably about 4-5/10ths coverage but ASOS reported 2500 feet. My CFI had told me his minimums for me were 2500 and 5 miles. He told me "I trust your judgement - go ahead." So I took off and hit the bottom of the clouds at TPA (1100 feet). I called the tower and told them I was going around and landing - which I did.

My CFI said "You could've gone, you can stay out of that stuff." But I'm still glad I didn't. Anyway, October 19th I flew the route solo in great weather.

Sounds to me like you did fine and stretched yourself a bit in the process - good job.

John

Ah, WX in New England! Does it get any more bizzare then here?

What seems like a severe clear day on terra firma and is IFR at 3000'. Heavy summer haze, layers,,. More then once I have launched VFR and found myself in crud that I simply don't want to fly in. I returned home and went boating instead!

Yup, always listen to your gut...
Too bad John Kennedy didn't...

denny-o

Great writeup Andrew.

I'm curious, was this the first time you had seen what 5 mile visibility looked like or had your CFI brought you up in similar conditions previously?

In any case, sounds like you made the right call, so as others have said, I wouldn't beat yourself up too badly about it. Seems like your CFI was confident in your abilities and judgment to let you venture out in the first place.

Great writeup Andrew.

I'm curious, was this the first time you had seen what 5 mile visibility looked like or had your CFI brought you up in similar conditions previously?

In any case, sounds like you made the right call, so as others have said, I wouldn't beat yourself up too badly about it. Seems like your CFI was confident in your abilities and judgment to let you venture out in the first place.

I had seen summer haze before, but never quite like this. But, down low, it was still pretty clear... just got nastier as you climbed.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back