The Greatest Pilot that Ever Lived?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
We'll see where this goes, but an interesting question I was pondering this morning - who is/was the greatets pilot that ever lived?

Lot of great ones out there for sure, but personally, I'm thinking it is a toss up between Doolittle and Hoover.

Your Thoughts?

I don't think you can really answer that question, its all relative!

??

Yeager never flew the X-15.

Oops, I should have said X planes. :redface:

He flew the X-1a, first one to break the sound barrier. Still think he is a contender for greatest pilot. Lots of unknowns to get to where they were able to get it done. Lots of pilots died in the process.

Last edited:
The answer really depends on what criteria you're using, so I'll go with best control of their aircraft.

Bob Hoover has my vote! :thumbsup:

Honorable mentions:

• Patty Wagstaff
  • Art Scholl
  • Kirby Chambliss
  • Svetlana Kapanina
  • Peter Besenyei

Now as far as best Pioneer Pilot... Charles Lindbergh

Last edited:
I have to be honest with you Buster, I'm only the second Greatest pilot ever. German Ace Ernst Kessler is the greatest pilot ever.

I have to be honest with you Buster, I'm only the second Greatest pilot ever. German Ace Ernst Kessler is the greatest pilot ever.
My daughter got me a shirt that declares me as the Greatest Pilot so that settles that.:yes:

As for war time aces that title belongs to Col. ERICH "Bubbi" HARTMANN

Great Waldo Pepper reference ^^^

Igor Sikorsky might not have been a great stick and rudder guy... But, he not only invented the modern type helicopter, he taught himself how to fly it... And lived!

Igor Sikorsky might not have been a great stick and rudder guy... But, he not only invented the modern type helicopter, he taught himself how to fly it... And lived!
That right there is a good point indeed!

That right there = Bad Ass

Not only that, his first flight he had forgotten to factor in the 90* gyroscopic offset, so all his cyclic inputs were 90* off!:eek: Try that in an R-22...:yikes:

The World's Greatest Pilot
Chuck Norris
David White

Etienne Montgolfier
Jean-Francois Pilatre de Rozier
Marquis Francois d'Arlandes

"Gordo" Cooper :wink2:

Orville Wright.

Good call. This guy figured out adverse yaw before there was a such thing as a flight instructor.

But I'd have to go with Otto Lilienthal. That guy figured out wings. And if it weren't for him, Orville would be known as a good bicycle manufacturer. Even if he did get killed in the first crash.

It takes serious brass cojones to get in the very first hang glider and jump off a hill.

My 9-year-old. If you don't believe it, just ask her.

but I think Jimmy Doolittle did more to advance aviation safety than any other single person.
That is my thought......I think Hoover might have been a slightly better pilot, but I think Jimmy made the greatest overall contribution to aviation.

Sorry, I think you all are wrong. I first was going to say Tom Cruise(not a big fan) but I think it is Otto the autopilot from Airplane!

Doug

That is my thought......I think Hoover might have been a slightly better pilot, but I think Jimmy made the greatest overall contribution to aviation.

However, the person who made it possible wasn't a pilot, Elmer Sperry gave Doolittle the tools he needed.

Sorry, I think you all are wrong. I first was going to say Tom Cruise(not a big fan) but I think it is Otto the autopilot from Airplane!

Doug
In all seriousness, for the phases of flight that I use it Mr. STEC is a better pilot than any human.

In all seriousness, for the phases of flight that I use it Mr. STEC is a better pilot than any human.

:confused::confused::confused: Really? What will Mr STEC do in an emergency? Will Mr.STEC notice your degrading speed as ice accumulates on your airframe and put the nose down or will he keep trying to hold the altitude until the plane stalls and falls out of the sky?

Mr. STEC is the worst pilot I know, he's an okay co-pilot to hand the helm if you need to do something, but his decision making skills as well as conversation are completely lacking.

BTW, do you really trust someone named Stolen Technology?

:confused::confused::confused: Really? What will Mr STEC do in an emergency? Will Mr.STEC notice your degrading speed as ice accumulates on your airframe and put the nose down or will he keep trying to hold the altitude until the plane stalls and falls out of the sky?

Mr. STEC is the worst pilot I know, he's an okay co-pilot to hand the helm if you need to do something, but his decision making skills as well as conversation are completely lacking.

BTW, do you really trust someone named Stolen Technology?
beats me, can't say what happens since I'm napping when he's flying:rolleyes:

One can say the same of Yeager.
to be fair, my kid gives me a little credit, she'll reluctantly admit to people "well...I have to take dad along to start the engines, and he has to steer on the ground because I can't reach the pedals"

Wouldn't it be something to find out that the greatest pilot who ever lived never dropped a bomb, never got shot at or shot at anyone or went all that fast. Just someone who did it right everytime they went up, never scared anyone, acted reasonably and did it well for a lifetime? It's not me that's for sure.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Wouldn't it be something to find out that the greatest pilot who ever lived never dropped a bomb, never got shot at or shot at anyone or went all that fast. Just someone who did it right everytime they went up, never scared anyone, acted reasonably and did it well for a lifetime? It's not me that's for sure.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Well, the sad thing is that is supposed to be the average pilot.

Back