The greatest aviation movie of all time!

JOhnH

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I couldn't figure out how to make the title green.

Has anyone seen the flick "Horizon Line"? (available on Amazon Prime) It has some incredible aviation footage in it.

But it takes a while to get to the good parts.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5498354/

Are the good parts the credits at the end?

Are the good parts the credits at the end?
No.
Not to give too much away, but one of them is when the girl climbs out on the wing and pours several bottles of home-made Rum into the quickly emptying fuel tank while holding on to the leading edge with one arm. You can watch the fuel gauge climbing as she pours each bottle in.

No.
Not to give too much away, but one of them is when the girl climbs out on the wing and pours several bottles of home-made Rum into the quickly emptying fuel tank while holding on to the leading edge with one arm. You can watch the fuel gauge climbing as she pours each bottle in.

Thins out the mix. Adds an extra 50 RPMs

Well, if the movie's half as good as the trailer, I can't wait to miss it.

Did the pilot have the fish?

"The storm's too big to go around it. You'll have to fly through it."
We do that all the time........don't we?

I watched the first minute or so of Horizon Line. The best part was when I turned it off.

I'm watching Spitfire on Prime Video right now. Its a pretty good documentary. Now, that's an aviation movie!

I think I'd be more interested if they crashed during IMC and had to struggle to survive on top of the floating wreckage.

I'm petty sure "the peanuts movie" is the best aviation movie.
Number 2 is probably "airplane".
They may have the most realistic flight scenes, too.

No.

There's a similar scene in the sequel to "The Gods Must Be Crazy" (The Gods Must Be Crazy II?) where the ultralight pilot pours whiskey into the fuel tank to get the engines running again. Overall, it's a pretty good movie if you don't insist on absolute "documentary-type" accuracy in movie dramas.

I’m surprised it’s 4.8 on IMDb and not 0.8

another great aviation show is one episode of Yellowjackets where the plane explodes (like a bomb went off) without any explanation.

The other day I was flipping channels and came across something that was supposed to be 1968 South Vietnam. I stopped because there was airplanes in the scene. The few airplanes onscreen were time period correct, but in the back ground there was a row of H-60s parked....

How could you all leave out Iron Eagle, complete with realistic touches such as deploying full flaps for maximum speed? :D

You mean starting with a kid flying a 150 and stepping into an F-16???? :D

Spitfire gliding forever at 100ft agl in Dunkirk.
If you think that’s a long time: It takes Sully: Miracle on the Hudson a 96 minute runtime to descend a minute and a half into the Hudson.

Spitfire gliding forever at 100ft agl in Dunkirk.

...never to mention that, when the airplane was torched, the 12-cylinder Rolls Royce Merlin engine evaporated, leaving only a steel rod with a prop on it...

Watched "Top Gun Maverick" last night on Evil Mail Order Empire Prime, it was fun and all.
But - how does a Navy pilot afford a P-51? Even if he is a captain... Yea, no wife, no kids, but...
That was a LOT of effing cruise missiles. A lot. No wonder our taxes are so high.
Why would the bad guys have an F-14 sitting in a shelter fueled, fully armed, ready to go? Is it normal to load up a stored aircraft with air to air missiles?
How did the kid all of a sudden find the magic hidden circuit breaker?
If everything else worked, why not the ejection seat?
Do guys really hug each other that much in the Navy?

Watched "Top Gun Maverick" last night on Evil Mail Order Empire Prime, it was fun and all.
But - how does a Navy pilot afford a P-51? Even if he is a captain... Yea, no wife, no kids, but...
Did they ever *say* he was dependent on his military pay?

The US Army and Navy have a long history of the sons of wealthy men joining the military. When Billy Mitchell was court-martialed, do you think he stood in a breadline in New York? No, he (probably) went back to the family estate in Wisconsin (his father was very wealthy senator; his grandfather owned a couple of railroads).

Read an article in US Navy Proceedings a couple of decades back. The author traced the advances in the US Navy during peacetime...and found they were all driven by men who were NOT dependent on their Navy salary.

Naval Aviation has this history as well. Ever hear of the Millionaire's Unit? A batch of rich Yalies funding one of the Navy's squadrons in the build-up to the Great War. "Driven by the belief that their membership in the American elite required certain sacrifice, schooled in heroism and the nature of leadership, they determined to be first into the conflict, leading the way ahead of America's declaration that it would join the war." (Quote from the book blurb on Amazon)

So yes, a career officer dependent on his navy pay can't afford a P-51. But we don't know if that applies to Maverick.

Buddy of mine was a Lieutenant in the Army in the '80s (retired Major General, now). He served with another lieutenant who was of the family that had invented and owned the patent for cyalume light sticks. *He* didn't have to serve. But my buddy described how the guy would chuckle and mutter "Kaching!" during every night exercise.....

Ron Wanttaja

So yes, a career officer dependent on his navy pay can't afford a P-51. But we don't know if that applies to Maverick.

True. Though the storyline says his father was also a naval aviator, KIA. So any family fortune would have originated with someone else.

True. Though the storyline says his father was also a naval aviator, KIA. So any family fortune would have originated with someone else.
Could be a classic case of "old money." I mentioned Billy Mitchell. His grandfather owned several railroads and banks, and was the wealthiest person in Wisconsin.

Used to be somewhat of a tradition of service among the scions of the wealthy. Easy enough to get a academy appointment when grampa owns a couple of senators.

Ron Wanttaja

Don't forget the Kennedys. Joseph Kennedy Junior was killed test flying a radio controlled explosives-laden bomber (Aphrodite Mission) somewhere over the South of England during World War II. Joe Jr. had already completed two combat tours and was eligible to go back to the U.S., but, instead, volunteered for the extremely hazardous Aphrodite Mission. In my opinion, and some others who knew the Kennedy Brothers, Joe Jr. was the best of the bunch.

Don't forget the Kennedys. Joseph Kennedy Junior was killed test flying a radio controlled explosives-laden bomber (Aphrodite Mission) somewhere over the South of England during World War II. Joe Jr. had already completed two combat tours and was eligible to go back to the U.S., but, instead, volunteered for the extremely hazardous Aphrodite Mission. In my opinion, and some others who knew the Kennedy Brothers, Joe Jr. was the best of the bunch.
In his book, Bud Anderson said they heard Joe Kennedy's plane exploding near his home base in England. Bud Anderson was based in Leiston, England with the 357th Fighter Group.

We'll have to go throught it...!!!

No Problem!!!!

Good advice for student pilots....

JEEZ!!!!
She wasn't even a student. She had two flights as a passenger where she was allowed to touch the controls.

Back