The Great Flood of 2008 Update

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Iowa City is now effectively cut off, with I-80 closed to the East (see aerial pix taken today, in the link at the bottom), I-380 closed to the North, Hwy 218 closed to the South, and over 30 streets under water in the city.

We've got the river flowing over the road both North and South of our aviation themed hotel, the Alexis Park Inn & Suites, so we are effectively out of business. (We're still dry, and open -- but no one knows that, or can drive past. You can still get here, via a back road -- but who knows that?) No fly-in guests can get from the airport to us without fording the river (or driving five miles around the airport), and everyone is flying OUT of Iowa City anyway.

All the businesses around us are padlocked and closed, behind sandbag walls. One block North, all the businesses are under water. The University of Iowa has over a dozen buildings under water and has canceled all activities until further notice, taking many of our future reservations with them.

We relocated our airplane to nearby Washington, IA (AWG), when the airport looked like it might go under. The river is now running between us and the airport, but the airport is still mostly dry, thankfully. Our home on the East side is high and dry, and we're still able to get to it, thanks to the city workers doing a Herculean job to keep the bridges open. They've lost all but two of them (and one is down to just one lane), but the city isn't split in half, yet.

Up at the dam, the water over the spillway has crested, but the reservoir is still receiving 10,000 cubic feet per second MORE than can be released over the spillway. That's enough water to fill our hotel's swimming pool every TWO SECONDS -- so this event is far from over. We're talking weeks, if not months of continued flooding and clean up.

Cedar Rapids' flooding was worse, but it's receding quickly, because that was an entirely different kind of flooding, caused by excessive rain overflowing a river. Our flooding in Iowa City is caused by excessive rain overflowing a giant reservoir that drains a whopping 3,300 miles of Iowa! Because of this, nothing will change quickly, and we're looking at a very long summer.

I was privileged to receive a private tour of the dam yesterday afternoon, courtesy of an old friend who works for the Army Corps of Engineers. He brought us right up to the edge of the spillway and sluice gates, and you simply couldn't believe the roar of 40,000 gallons of water per SECOND thundering over that dam! Watching in awe, we at last fully realized why we were so royally screwed downstream. There is no way to fathom the destructive nature of that much water until you see it. (Check out the video in the link, below...)

Today we took an hour long flight over the disaster area, and the full weight of the catastophe became apparent from 2500 feet. It's incredible to see the Iowa River expand to the size of the Mississippi River, without regard to man-made structures that might be in the way. And it's that way as far as the eye can see down-river!

Stranger still is to fly down I-80 -- "America's Main Street" -- and see NO ONE on it. To see the Cedar River washing over the freeway for at least 1/4 mile is just incredible, and something I never would have thought possible.

It's a remarkable thing to live through a "500 year flood" -- and were it not happening to me and impacting our business, it would be fascinating. Instead, it's kinda like watching a barge heading toward a bridge abuttment, knowing there's nothing you can do to stop it. Pray you don't ever get to see it.

Here are the pix and video:
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/great_flood_of_2008.htm

When I saw the center of my little town under water in 1973, I was in awe. I volunteered for sandbagging as a young teen.

Twenty years later, it happen again. The photos of the same intersection of Festus/Crystal City in 1993 flood looked identical to those of 1973. I saw it published in the Atlanta Journal.

That year, the levy broke and took out Spirit of St. Louis airport. Quite a few planes were lost.

That year, the levy broke and took out Spirit of St. Louis airport. Quite a few planes were lost.
I worked for a company at KSUS in the early 1980s but I left before the big flood. When I visited them again a number of years ago they showed me where the flood waters had come 9 feet up on the walls of their building. They were smart and moved their airplanes beforehand. While I was working for this company my first job as a photo pilot (as opposed to being the camera operator) was to photograph the flooding on the Skunk and Des Moines rivers in Iowa. Normally we got maps with lines we were supposed to follow, but they just gave me general area maps. I asked where I should be flying and their answer was basically, "Just fly over all the water, dummy!" Yeah, no kidding, there was a lot of water but I have the feeling these current floods are worse. :(

Wow! Those pics are amazing! My parents flew up here (Ames) from Muscatine on Saturday. The were amazed at how bad everything was. Water is finally receding in Des Moines. They are starting to quiet the calls for volunteer sandbaggers - but one neighborhood is still under 'mandatory evacuation' after a levee broke through at 3:45am Saturday morning.

When I went in to work Friday night at CyRide (Ames city bus transit system), we were on 'standby' to head to Des Moines with buses to help evacuate people if necessary. Luckily, we never got the call.

This will definitely be one in the record books for many many many years (we all hope).

Glad you are still surviving over there Jay. If you need help, feel free to let folks here know. We're all one big (usually) happy family here.

Jay,

That is just so sad for everyone up there. Our thoughts are with all of you. Hang in there!!!

Jay,
All I can say is "Wow!" I'm glad Alexis Park Inn is still dry, but know that, even with that, this is devastating on the Inn and the local economy! Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jay, thanks for the update. Here in San Antonio, we too have seen a couple of very sever floods but I'm sure none of them was comparable to what you all are experiencing. Our prayers and thoughts are with you all. Hang in there and above all, stay safe.

Best.

Let us know how we can help. When we come up for Oshkosh, should we bring buckets, sponges, detergent?

Glad you are still surviving over there Jay. If you need help, feel free to let folks here know. We're all one big (usually) happy family here.

Thanks, Chris (and everyone) for your thoughts and prayers.

Amazingly (and it's thanks to the slow-motion nature of this flood) no one has been killed or seriously injured. Property can be replaced -- lives cannot -- so we're all thankful.

All I want right now is for our connection to the airport to re-open. We're only 400 yards away from Rwy 25, but the water is, oh, about 300 yards wide -- so we're effectively cut-off from our favorite place on earth.

I'd set up pumps, but where ya gonna pump it?

:p

There is something very sinister and bizarre about seeing the water relentlessly rise, especially when it occurs in bright sunlight under cloudless skies.

Best of luck to you all!

Jay,

I feel your pain. I've got a farm near waterloo that is basically destroyed, almost 250,000 birds will have to be killed. Thankfully many of our other sites are ok, but things are going to get interesting if the Red Rock reservoir has to release much more water than they currently are.

CBOT corn went over 8.00 last night. Hold on to your hats folks it's going to be a long ugly summer for consumers and farmers. Many local elevators just busted through their credit lines in the last few days.

If any of you are interested in eating protein of any kind next year could you please call your congress-critters and tell them you want a relaxation of the RFS for ethanol.

Eggman

Jay,
Does anyone need an "airlift" out of the area? I have the afternoon off.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Amazingly (and it's thanks to the slow-motion nature of this flood) no one has been killed or seriously injured. Property can be replaced -- lives cannot -- so we're all thankful.

All I want right now is for our connection to the airport to re-open. We're only 400 yards away from Rwy 25, but the water is, oh, about 300 yards wide -- so we're effectively cut-off from our favorite place on earth.
Jay, I'm sorry to hear how devastating the floods have been up your way. The negative economic impact is hard to imagine. I'm glad to hear that your hotel hasn't been physically affected by the flood water yet.

I remember how much I enjoyed looking over at your airport from my balcony a few years ago. How long will this affect your business? Will things be back to normal by OSH time?

Seems like I recall that you all had a tornado hit near you a few years back.

I feel your pain. I've got a farm near waterloo that is basically destroyed, almost 250,000 birds will have to be killed.
Wow, that is horrible news. I hope that you have insurance that will cover that loss. James, I'm sorry to hear how this is affecting you.

Jay, I'm sorry to hear how devastating the floods have been up your way. The negative economic impact is hard to imagine. I'm glad to hear that your hotel hasn't been physically affected by the flood water yet.

I remember how much I enjoyed looking over at your airport from my balcony a few years ago. How long will this affect your business? Will things be back to normal by OSH time?

Seems like I recall that you all had a tornado hit near you a few years back.

We've been incredibly lucky. The tornado that devastated Iowa City in '06 just nicked us, and now the Flood of '08 has missed us, at least physically. Unfortunately, being cut off from all of our sources of revenue is almost as bad as being flooded, financially -- but at least we won't have to deal with physical damage when all is said and done.

We've got six weeks till OSH. By then, barring lots and lots of rain, this will all be a bad memory....

We've been incredibly lucky. The tornado that devastated Iowa City in '06 just nicked us, and now the Flood of '08 has missed us, at least physically. Unfortunately, being cut off from all of our sources of revenue is almost as bad as being flooded, financially -- but at least we won't have to deal with physical damage when all is said and done.

We've got six weeks till OSH. By then, barring lots and lots of rain, this will all be a bad memory....

Glad to hear you've been spared physical damage. I guess the next thing we get to look forward to will be record numbers of mosquitos! I see a bug zapper in my future...

Trapper John

Went flying over areas southeast of Iowa City tonight - where the Iowa River meets up with the Mississippi River. Apparently a levee broke as the waters were moving from Iowa City southward and this is the result - several thousand acres of prime Iowa farmland under several FEET of water:

Attachments

• DSCF0365.JPG
    DSCF0365.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0366.JPG
    DSCF0366.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0361.JPG
    DSCF0361.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0368.JPG
    DSCF0368.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0362.JPG
    DSCF0362.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0371.JPG
    DSCF0371.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Went flying over areas southeast of Iowa City tonight - where the Iowa River meets up with the Mississippi River. Apparently a levee broke as the waters were moving from Iowa City southward and this is the result - several thousand acres of prime Iowa farmland under several FEET of water:
Wow! Have they named this lake yet?:(

How sad for so many people. :( I can't help but wonder about the animals, too. I hope that they all get rescued and reconnected with their owners if they were separated.

It never fails to blow my mind at the power of nature.

And it shows the height of our hubris to even THINK we can "control" nature for any length of time, period.

How sad for so many people. :( I can't help but wonder about the animals, too. I hope that they all get rescued and reconnected with their owners if they were separated.

I'm sure 'pets' had a chance, but if you can see the TOPS of those long white buildings, those are/were hog confinement buildings which housed as many as a few THOUSAND hogs in EACH building. Apparently they had enough time that owners were able to haul most of their hogs out, but it got to the point that they were simply turning them out to roam to fend for themselves because they didn't have anywhere else to haul them to. Sad deal all the way around. As a side note -- there should be a wild hog hunting season in SE Iowa in a couple of years.

And it shows the height of our hubris to even THINK we can "control" nature for any length of time, period.
I don't know... I think with enough hot air coming out of the right group of people(centrally located in an upper, east coastal area), there can be quite an effect. :)

Jay,

How are things now? I was able to make it all the way across 80 last night, but there were some spots that obviously still had a lot more water than normal.

Back