The future of GA is one step closer....

It may not be that far off. Technologically, we could build this plane today as it is many magnitudes simpler than the self driving car, however ATC would have to be completely overhauled to support this future flight.

Public acceptance might not be as tough of a sell as one might think. Most people today are fully aware that the Jumbo Jets they frequently fly on fly all by themselves a lot and the word autopilot is well understood in popular culture. I was not suggesting that these new planes would not require someone who is trained to command it though. I still see a "pilot" being required to monitor the flight and deal with problems. The idea being that the amount of training required for this new pilot would be vastly reduced from what it is now.

Anyhow, my question was more hypothetical than it was to be prophetic. Would the GA community accept and embrace these new airplanes, or would they see it as the death of aviation. I think likely the later. It seems that pilots today are firmly rooted in some sort of romantic past. If so, it would seem that for GA to grow and thrive on a large scale, GA has to die in the process if that makes any sense.

Of course the current GA community would not accept this change. Look how long it took them to accept Cirrus aircraft.... Look at the reaction to LSA, experimental (hell look at this forums comments on Cirrus and RV's), etc.

the old dogs of GA will not Shepard in new GA for today's youth, they will go out kicking and screaming about how they have to share airspace with death traps, or people that didn't have to fly 60-80 hours to get their license, etc. Its the perpetual I walked up hill each way in the snow argument for old people.

Really? Are there new game changing batteries I haven't heard about yet? If so that would be awesome!! Finally I can convert my Mooney to electric! Sadly, I think your 2020 prediction is very, very optimistic. The practical human sized quad copter is stuck waiting for better batteries too.

How long does a kid in a quadchopter want to be in the air? They arent going anywhere, merely cruising around the neighborhood, taking go pro videos of them dropping basketball into nets from 200 feet.

Watch Youtube and youll see that by 2020.

Back