The "Funny Looking Airplanes" Thread

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
I was reading about this funky looking creature earlier.

xf5u1ah_6.jpg

Some wacky ideas came out of that post-war era.

Wow, and I thought the majority meeting the thread title would have been designed by Rutan!

The Flying Flapjack - although the link says Flying Pancake http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Pancake

The article says one was given to the Smithsonian - but I've never seen it.

Dave
It's in the Paul Garber facility in Maryland, along with several other expiremental aircraft from the 40's. This facility is where they store all the aviation related things that are not on display, or even restored. There are acres of buildings full of wonderful things. It's a great place to visit. You have to make arrangements ahead of time, and when I was there, they only take groups, not individuals. I don't know how big a group has to be, but it would be worth it to get a bunch together.

It's in the Paul Garber facility in Maryland, along with several other expiremental aircraft from the 40's. This facility is where they store all the aviation related things that are not on display, or even restored. There are acres of buildings full of wonderful things. It's a great place to visit. You have to make arrangements ahead of time, and when I was there, they only take groups, not individuals. I don't know how big a group has to be, but it would be worth it to get a bunch together.

Can you still visit Garber now that they have the Udvar Hazy up and running? Are they even using Garber, or did they move restorations too?

Back