The Frustrations of Fall

brooklyn26point2

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
brooklyn26point2
Was supposed to have my private checkride today, but weather and the DPE's backlogged schedule pushed it back to December. I imagine I'm not the only one who trained through the summer to see delays for weather in the fall. Oh well, nature of the beast I suppose. Just frustrating to be so close and unable to seal the deal. that's enough of my venting...

Yea, my solo cross countries have been significantly delayed due to the gusting winds over the past months or so :(

I was able to do a cross country to KRDG last Saturday but this weather has definitely slowed everything down.

Find a full time CFI in the midwest and bang it out. :dunno:

Plenty of nice weather to fly.

I hear ya, I've been trying to get checked out in a plane and every time the schedule works the weather just doesn't want to cooperate.

It can happen any time of year, my private the DPE stood me up on attempt one thinking that no one would be flying after the snow the day before (January) and this July had to bump my multi for storms once.

Its going to happen no matter good weather o bad something always delays the checkride trust that.

Was supposed to have my private checkride today, but weather and the DPE's backlogged schedule pushed it back to December. I imagine I'm not the only one who trained through the summer to see delays for weather in the fall. Oh well, nature of the beast I suppose. Just frustrating to be so close and unable to seal the deal. that's enough of my venting...
I understand your pain. My PPL checkride was scheduled for September 12, 2001. The day does finally come, though. Just relax.

thanks all. Figured I'm not alone in this, just wanted to put it into words. Good luck to all those with similar experiences; hope you can get everything done soon!

I got checked out for solo in my clubs cherokee on Sunday. In route to our airport we were making like 145kts (ground speed of course). For my first landing the wind was like 35kts -luckily right down the center of the runway!:D

Same thing (this time with SHRA) on the return trip:goofy::goofy::goofy: The instructor next to me was quite satisfied! That's the most excitement I care to have at this stage in my flying career. It was a good expierence- and I will only do something like that with him sitting in the right seat for now.

Had a great flight today in FLA. You might want to come down for a vacation/ check ride. Feel your pain.

Flew out of Winter Haven Florida this morning for a couple of hours puttering around and do some pattern work, calmest day for three weeks, the winds and associated gusting have been horrendous lately.

Yeah I hear you guys still in training. It's a bummer with the windy season here in the northeast. However, once you receive your PPL, flying in the fall is awesome! The colors on the trees make the scenery change and the visibility is always better in the fall and winter.

Best part is, with winds aloft, even the 172 I fly can do 135 knots across the ground! My latest trip this past weekend I was doing 95 knots flying into the wind( took 45 minutes to go something like 65nm.). On the way back I was consistently doing over 135 across the ground at 2400 rpm and it only took 30 minutes! It felt like I was flying jet! :)

Last edited:
Yeah I hear you guys still in training. It's a bummer with the windy season here in the northeast. However, once you receive your PPL, flying in the fall is awesome! The colors on the trees make the scenery change and the visibility is always better in the fall and winter.
That's the exact reason I was hoping to be able to get my solo xc to POU done while there were still leaves on the trees.....doesn't look like that is happening.

I have the plane scheduled for Friday and Saturday mornings so hopefully the winds will be calm

That's the exact reason I was hoping to be able to get my solo xc to POU done while there were still leaves on the trees.....doesn't look like that is happening.

I have the plane scheduled for Friday and Saturday mornings so hopefully the winds will be calm

Yeah I can give you a report that the leaves are mostly off the trees up there right now. I went to the neighboring airport of KPOU this past weekend(44n) and it is looking largely grey up there. Still some red's and oranges out the window but not much.

Hope the xc works out! KPOU is one of my favorite airports. It is very pretty up there!

Back