The Fleet is in!

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
Three warships just paraded up the Hudson River in preparation for the Memorial Day celebrations. Looked like two DLGs and a CG but my ship designations are probably wrong. Also a Coast Guard Cutter, a Fireboat doing its thing, and many NYPD helicopters.

Also we had a flyby by a flight of 4 F-16s up the Hudson. Previous to the flyby there was a lot of GA traffic in the corridor. I think the F-16s were skimming along the bottom of the Bravo just out of the corridor. Man, would that wake up an unsuspecting 172 driver! :hairraise:

All this visible out my office window. OK, back to work :p

-Skip

The destroyers are prolly DDGs (Arleigh Burke class) any more, but I could be wrong. They were a pretty sight, huh?

But we were better: We could make 30kts and no smoke:p , and not have to pull over and buy gas.

Later,

Jim

The destroyers are prolly DDGs (Arleigh Burke class) any more, but I could be wrong. They were a pretty sight, huh?

But we were better: We could make 30kts and no smoke:p , and not have to pull over and buy gas.

Later,

Jim

Yes, always impressive to see them glide by, with the gobs on the rail in their whites.

They paraded up the Hudson to the GW Bridge, did a 180 back down to the harbor, another 180 and up the river to the piers.

Here is a list of the ships involved:

U.S. NAVY
• USS Wasp (LHD 1)
• USS Hue City (CG 66)
• USS Stephen W. Groves (FFG 29)
• USS Winston S. Churchill (DDG 81)
• USS Oscar Austin (DDG 79)
• USS San Jacinto (CG 56)
U.S. COAST GUARD
• Cutter Katherine Walker

Back