The flaw of averages (ref: the tall pilots thread)

Van Johnston

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Van Johnston
I found it interesting that in the tall pilots thread so many of us had conflicting impressions about how we fit in certain aircraft, then I remembered this article on FlightAware earlier this week.

Basically, there no such thing as an average pilot (or average tall pilot, or average tall, left handed pilot).

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight...ir-force-discovered-the-flaw-of-averages.html

A long but interesting read.

Interesting indeed...thanks for posting that!

Jim

I have noticed, anecdotally, that newer airplanes are generally more adjustable than older airplanes, even airplanes of the same model.

I fly a 1966 BE35. I cannot wear a knee board. When I take off, the yoke butts up against it and I cannot pull the yoke back far enough.

When I use the trim wheel, I have to move my right leg to do it.

The seat can be moved forward and back, not up and down.

The difference with me and early military pilots is that I can mess around with the airplane for hours before I have to fly it and get used to it.

I have read that early military pilots may have a few hours above the minimum before they are landing on carriers and getting shot at.

More time and training would have helped with the early military pilots, but there was not time. The lack of adjustable controls exacerbated the problem.

I don't normally follow links like that, especially when it says "interesting read". But the overwhelming feedback here made me peek.
Definitely an "interesting read", I can tell you that. :)
The game of numbers is not an easy one. Especially if one doesn't know what one is doing. Statistics is not easy. Though yes, it CAN be easily manipulated. :D Nonetheless, good read.

Thanks for posting it!

I don't normally follow links like that, especially when it says "interesting read".

I don't either; that's why I offered the one line summary for those like us. But if you read it all the way through and were happy with the ending, so much the better.

Back