The Few

Sleek-Jet

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Sleek-Jet
By Alex Kershaw

A pretty good read of the Battle of Britain centered around the handfull of American pilots that flew and faught during that long summer of 1940. While there were many more American's that flew for the RAF's Eagle Squadron late in 1940 and through 1941, there were only 8 Americans that flew during August and September of 1940.

All but two of them lived to see America enter WWII in December 1941. Only one survived all of WWII.

It's pretty engaging, and gives good glimpses of the life of the fighter pilots on the other side of the Chanell.

If you like aviation history of WWII, or any Battle of Britain history, this is a good look at a unique niche in the story.

I picked up my copy at Barnes and Noble, published by Da Capo Press. Still in hardcopy, but books like these quickly show up in soft back at cheaper prices, but I was spending a gift certificate. :D

A friend of mine who's since passed away flew for the British via the RCAF. His name was Jake Abraham. He washed out of USAAC training because he couldn't fly formation (depth perception problem) so he went to Canada and flew with them until the USA entered the war. When he retired from the USAF he was the then highest combat hour pilot in the service. He flew P-47s and had 3 feet of wing shot off on one occasion and 2 cylinders shot off on another, but the plane got him back to friendly territory both times.

I'll pick up a copy. Thanks for the info.

Back