The fear is driving me... Part 2

RogerThat

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Roger Mussa
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/the-fear-is-driving-me….137441/

As a follow up to my original thread, above, I wanted to share my progress and thank you all for the banter and helpful feedback I received here in this community.

So at the 10 hour mark I want to share I learned a lot, taken feedback given and applied and have gotten to a place I am proud of; learning and growing.

My "fear of turbulence" has subsided dramatically as I have read and obsessed to a point I am tolerant and much less fear factor but an attitude of challenging it.

Yesterday was a breakthrough. My CFI said "Its a little bumpy going out, are you ready?". All I could say was "Lets do it". In fact this is what I was here for.

On the ground 10kts but when we climbed it was a whole different story. We got up to 2000 ft and after 10 minutes she said "I think its time to go back to airport".

I was fighting and "growing" lol, then she said "your controls". So I fought the winds and wind sheer, rudder and yoke work staying the course till we go to airport and she took over - beautifully I may add. She landed that plane like a rockstar in crazy winds.

At the end, she confirmed what I had thought "When you have control, it becomes a different challenge for you. It was a 7 out of 10 and you did admirably and were poised just as I expected"

Yes, I got an ANR headset, yes I even took a hypnotism session as someone suggested (hokey as hell but thats a different story - I think the teacher/session was the issue), read and learned.

Point being, I am sure I am not the only one with similar angst and/or fear but I fought through it and confidence is building to the point that I cant wait to fly.

Thank you, again, for the contributions to my original post as they were super helpful and encouraging.

Cant wait to fly...

Well done… turbulence is what just an angry airflow… :)… so counter it calmly.

In fact this is what I was here for.

That's what it takes sometimes. Jolly good show ol' bean.
Make that turbulence your b**ch. (always easy to say on the ground ha ha)

You know it's bumpy when you can't talk to the controllers without an 'ugh' in the middle of the readback.

That's what it takes sometimes. Jolly good show ol' bean.
Make that turbulence your b**ch. (always easy to say on the ground ha ha)

You know it's bumpy when you can't talk to the controllers without an 'ugh' in the middle of the readback.
Well, I did say "Ugh...right now??" and she simply said "Yes". So, as a good student, I did! hahahah

You are going to find that low-level turbulence is mostly just unpleasant and annoying, but not hazardous. Little planes are just going to bounce around in orographic wind flow and thermals. I don't usually choose to tolerate significant turbulence on a trip. Often it's nice and smooth above 5000 AGL, weather permitting or with and IFR climb above relatively low tops. The only downside about flying higher is westbound legs can be painfully slow. But smooth and slow is normally more fun than faster and bobbing like a cork in the ocean.

Great job! Tolerance will build but I don't think I could stand too much of this:

On our way back from StLouis (CPS) to Phoenix (GYR) in late May, we had honest Moderate Turbulence for the final third of the trip. Essentially, all across NM and AZ.

We tried lots of altitudes from the oxygen-levels to mowing lawns. Nothing helped. The airliners were complaining at all altitudes, as well.

Definitely annoying!

My wife was very happy when the wheels touched down at home.

I admire your perseverance. One thing you can look forward to, once you have your PPL, is the fact that on days with gusty surface winds, it may indeed be a clown show at 2000ft, but you can typically climb above the mess.

The majority of my time is on 500-1200nm XC flights. As a result, I've spent most of my time at 8-12k. I've lost count of how many days involve getting beaten to a pulp until reaching somewhere between 4k and 7k. Above that, it's relatively rare to get beaten up in VMC at cruise altitude. The most notable recent exception was over the Allegheny Mountains. Descending through 10k for a fuel stop with 60kt+ winds and 5000ft terrain elevation, I figured it was going to be rough, but underestimated just how bad. I say that only so you know that mountains obviously change things up, but outside of that, it's been rare to get beaten up much above 7k. In instances where the mechanical turbulence continues, I keep the climb going. I don't recall any significant issues above 10k in VMC, save for ONE day, again just SW of Washington DC with the weirdest wind shear that was causing a horrible yawing moment for about 100-150nm. I was ecstatic when it finally subsided.

I admire your perseverance. One thing you can look forward to, once you have your PPL, is the fact that on days with gusty surface winds, it may indeed be a clown show at 2000ft, but you can typically climb above the mess.

The majority of my time is on 500-1200nm XC flights. As a result, I've spent most of my time at 8-12k. I've lost count of how many days involve getting beaten to a pulp until reaching somewhere between 4k and 7k. Above that, it's relatively rare to get beaten up in VMC at cruise altitude. The most notable recent exception was over the Allegheny Mountains. Descending through 10k for a fuel stop with 60kt+ winds and 5000ft terrain elevation, I figured it was going to be rough, but underestimated just how bad. I say that only so you know that mountains obviously change things up, but outside of that, it's been rare to get beaten up much above 7k. In instances where the mechanical turbulence continues, I keep the climb going. I don't recall any significant issues above 10k in VMC, save for ONE day, again just SW of Washington DC with the weirdest wind shear that was causing a horrible yawing moment for about 100-150nm. I was ecstatic when it finally subsided.
Awesome and scary at the same time. I guess it’s all about practice and experience that will help navigate and fight through these extremes. No mountains by my so haven’t take that factor into consideration as of yet.

Thanks for the “Part 2” report, RogerThat. When I read your Part 1, I thought you might just have been trying to stir things up a little around here. :)

Thanks for the “Part 2” report, RogerThat. When I read your Part 1, I thought you might just have been trying to stir things up a little around here. :)
haha, what do you mean? Get people messed up?

Great job! Tolerance will build but I don't think I could stand too much of this:

This video reminds me of a stage check during my PPL training. During one bout of turbulence, the CFI hit his head on the ceiling of the 172. Shoulda had his seatbelt tighter is my opinion. :)

This video reminds me of a stage check during my PPL training. During one bout of turbulence, the CFI hit his head on the ceiling of the 172. Shoulda had his seatbelt tighter is my opinion. :)

I've had crazy turbulence a couple of times. I remeber once after I thought i couldn't take it anymore I glanced at the GPS and it gave me 8 minutes until arrival. I was thinking that it was like the 8 seconds of a bull ride and waiting for the horn to blow ...

Slow it down and enjoy the ride!

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/the-fear-is-driving-me….137441/

As a follow up to my original thread, above, I wanted to share my progress and thank you all for the banter and helpful feedback I received here in this community.

So at the 10 hour mark I want to share I learned a lot, taken feedback given and applied and have gotten to a place I am proud of; learning and growing.

My "fear of turbulence" has subsided dramatically as I have read and obsessed to a point I am tolerant and much less fear factor but an attitude of challenging it.

Yesterday was a breakthrough. My CFI said "Its a little bumpy going out, are you ready?". All I could say was "Lets do it". In fact this is what I was here for.

On the ground 10kts but when we climbed it was a whole different story. We got up to 2000 ft and after 10 minutes she said "I think its time to go back to airport".

I was fighting and "growing" lol, then she said "your controls". So I fought the winds and wind sheer, rudder and yoke work staying the course till we go to airport and she took over - beautifully I may add. She landed that plane like a rockstar in crazy winds.

At the end, she confirmed what I had thought "When you have control, it becomes a different challenge for you. It was a 7 out of 10 and you did admirably and were poised just as I expected"

Yes, I got an ANR headset, yes I even took a hypnotism session as someone suggested (hokey as hell but thats a different story - I think the teacher/session was the issue), read and learned.

Point being, I am sure I am not the only one with similar angst and/or fear but I fought through it and confidence is building to the point that I cant wait to fly.

Thank you, again, for the contributions to my original post as they were super helpful and encouraging.

Cant wait to fly...

I thought Id stop by and share an update to this thread...

I believe I have come a long long way and I am super proud. My CFI made a comment this that put it all into perspective for me.
I have been working on myself (well, actually my fear).

The last three flights were quite rough, one lesson in particular where we got out of the pattern and encountered wind shear and 15-17 its my CFI said "I think it is time to return, and your controls!"
So, I took the yoke and battled the wind and got us back. Who we landed she said, "it may be a control thing, today was rough but when you had control you were poised and handled it just fine."

The last two flights were super bumpy but I am tolerating and not even thinking about it. Point of the story is, I am at a good place. I learned, I took on the fear, I believe I conquered something hanging over me for some time and I am enjoying and having fun. TO the point that I am so comfortable and aware of things I need to learn versus worrying.

I am loving this and thanks for this community which in such short time has given me good advice.

So, to anyone having the same issues that I and many have, my only advice it to ply through. Still a long way to go but it feels good.

Back