The FBO that I won't return to

Alan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Alan
A few months ago, I posted a copy of a letter I sent to Triple Diamond Jet Center in Venice, FL. And, while I received a call telling me that "Maybe Sue was a little overzealous" in her security tirade. I asked the FBO manager to call my friend to let him know that he really didn't commit a crime and he said he would. But, alas, he didn't.

From now on I'll be flying on down to Punta Gorda.

The letter I sent:

Dear Sir/Madame:

I had an unfortunate experience at Triple Diamond Jet Center this morning of which I think you should be aware.

I arrived at your town on Friday evening at around 8 PM. Knowing I may be arriving after closing, I emailed a few days earlier to ask where I should park and how to get in/out. I received a timely reply describing where I should park my aircraft (Cessna 421-C, N421DC) and how I could get out of the ramp area. I described to my passenger/friend how we were instructed to open the gate so that the gentleman picking us up could drive on the ramp to load our luggage. Loaded with the aircraft tied down, we left the airport until Tuesday morning without incident.

Upon arrival on Tuesday, the same friend was in the front passenger seat of the car that was delivering us to the plane and volunteered to “open the gate”. This gentleman is not a pilot and has little experience at FBO’s. Since he opened the gate on Friday night for us to depart, he assumed that he should do the same on Tuesday so we could load the plane to leave. When he opened the gate, the counter clerk came out of the door and confronted him for not having her open the gate. My friend apologized to her for not his error, but she continued to berate him. After a few minutes of watching this, I left the car and walked over to see what the problem was. She told me that we had violated airport rules by opening the gate without her permission. I too apologized and she then threatened to call the police. She demanded to know what aircraft I was in and I told her. She continued with her tirade until I volunteered (without sarcasm or bitterness) that we should drive the car back outside the gate and enter as she wished. My friend said he had already offered to do this but she wasn’t interested in this remedy. After informing me that I had to pay for the ramp time, she walked back inside. I have been to Venice many times and have always paid my bill.

I gave the aircraft key to my friend and went inside to pay for the overnights. She then demanded my name and the name of the owner of the aircraft. I answered her questions and paid her with a credit card and left; buying fuel at your self serve because I didn’t want to have to deal with her again.

My friend was embarrassed and upset by her attack. I tried to tell him that it was an innocent mistake, but the actions of your clerk had visibly upset him. This gentleman is businessman and flies general aviation jets as a passenger, but he never has any responsibilities in interaction with the FBO in the office or on the ramp.

I ask that a letter of apology be written to him by you and this clerk. I did not dare ask her name, but she was on duty on Tuesday morning, June 7 at 9 AM.

He may have made an error, but both he and I apologized multiple times to her for his actions. I ask that she be required to do the same.

By the way, I was at your airport in the same aircraft on March 12, 2005 and your lineman (Marty, I think) hit my wingtip against a prop spinner of another aircraft and broke my nav light lens and strobe tube. The repairs required that we delay our departure 3 hours, with 4 men patiently waiting on the ramp. I did not complain and thanked them for dealing fairly with me. I didn’t berate the lineman for his mistake and told him accidents happen. Ask him about it, I’m sure he’ll remember.

My friends name and address is:

John Doe
232 Pleasant Dr.
Somewhere, KY 427**

Thank you for your prompt response to this matter,

Alan

Wow;

I guess I will not ever go there. Not a nice place. I worked as a lineboy many years ago and yup we took pride in our work for many of us got to learn how to fly. Times sure have changed

Thanks for the news

John

Alan, my understanding is you sent the enclosed letter several months ago and that letter included a demand for an apology made to your friend. Wow, that a business would not respond in kind to such a letter is appalling. I cannot imagine this FBO has such a lock on competition that they feel they do not have to respond--even so, the arrogance they have shown is enough to prohibit any pilot who reads your post from including Triple Diamond in their flight plans.

That you took the time to write a letter and explicitly reference the incident should mean something. That top mgmt has chosen to not respond is very telling.

Bottom line, this FBO doen't deserve our business.

BTW: some years ago I learned that even the guy stepping out of the lowly C-150 is to be treated as a valued customer. In that instance the -150 pilot turned out to be CEO of a very large company which included a large flight dept.

Richard,

I did send it several months ago. In July I think. I am planning another trip to SW Florida (Wilma permitting) and got aggravated all over again. The same fellow that got berated will be with me. We'll be going to PGD.

Edit: BTW, I really didn't demand an apology, I asked that he call him and apologize. The FBO manager did call me a few days after I sent the letter but I never heard the word sorry and while he told me he would call my friend, he never did. I also sent his address but no note was mailed.

Last edited:
Alan said:
Richard,

I did send it several months ago. In July I think. I am planning another trip to SW Florida (Wilma permitting) and got aggravated all over again. The same fellow that got berated will be with me. We'll be going to PGD.

Edit: BTW, I really didn't demand an apology, I asked that he call him and apologize. The FBO manager did call me a few days after I sent the letter but I never heard the word sorry and while he told me he would call my friend, he never did. I also sent his address but no note was mailed.
True customer service is a process, not an event. This one time only response you received from the FBO certainly does not fulfill the demand you made for an apology. Even if you think it does, why would they company chose not to exceed that demand? Bad CSR is one reason why not. You didn't include it, but did they even try to retify the situation or in any way make an excuse for the gate nazi employee's behavior?

Letters beget letters. The proper response to your letter would have included a letter of apology (or at least an explanation clarifying the onerous security regs, if any, they operate under) with a CC to your friend. A higher up making a one time phone call can only be read as dismissive and uncaring for your business. You be sure to tell any and every pilot you come in contact with.

M'gosh, the FBO is treating the incident as a non-event and by doing so has revealed a flippant attitude towards their customers. W-O-M is the single best/worst form of advertisement.

Alan said:
...I ask that a letter of apology be written to him by you and this clerk. I did not dare ask her name, but she was on duty on Tuesday morning, June 7 at 9 AM....
As company mgmt I would be on that like green on grass. Then I would make the mandatory follow up phone call. Maybe I would even send you some silly little freebie voucher good for some tangible thing of small value but at least it would show you my genuine concern for wanting to right this wrong. It's all about damage control.

I've also had a run in with this same FBO counter person (over the same issue no less) at Triple Diamond and AFaIK she's the wife of one of the owners or something like that. I used to frequent 3DJC when they were in competition with Hoffman, but when Hoffman folded and they took over Hoffman's assets, they went from really friendly to damn snotty IMO.

But I found a solution. A little further west is a maintenance facility called Florida Flight Maintenance. They control several tiedown spaces on the ramp next to 3DJC and have their own self serve fuel. The owner/manager there lets me tie the Baron down in any available spot for free as long as I buy his fuel (which I'm happy to do) and I've never had any hassles with him or his FBO. I'll bet he'd be happy to do the same for you.

They don't have the fancy building with a pilot's lounge and leather covered sofas or free cookies, but there are bathrooms in the lower level of the Florida Flight Training Center next door (I think the lower level is actually the public airport terminal). I think FFTC and FFM are at least loosely related.

So you don't have to overfly VNC, to avoid Triple Diamond.

Richard said:
I cannot imagine this FBO has such a lock on competition that they feel they do not have to respond--even so, the arrogance they have shown is enough to prohibit any pilot who reads your post from including Triple Diamond in their flight plans.

They used to be the underdog and made a strong effort to provide better service than the competition at a better price etc. Then the competition folded (both from the pressure and as fallout from the WTC terrorist training issue). Now they are pretty much the only game on the field and the attitude has change dramatically. Fortunately there is some (albeit limited) competition in the form of a maintenance shop and self serve fuel pumps.

Alan said:
Richard,

Punta Gorda could use the business (if they survive Wilma). They took it on the chin last year from Charlie.

BTW Alan, are you ever in the area over the Christmas break? I usually come down for that week as well as once later in the spring during my daughter's spring break.

lancefisher said:
I've also had a run in with this same FBO counter person (over the same issue no less) at Triple Diamond and AFaIK she's the wife of one of the owners or something like that. I used to frequent 3DJC when they were in competition with Hoffman, but when Hoffman folded and they took over Hoffman's assets, they went from really friendly to damn snotty IMO.

But I found a solution. A little further west is a maintenance facility called Florida Flight Maintenance. They control several tiedown spaces on the ramp next to 3DJC and have their own self serve fuel. The owner/manager there lets me tie the Baron down in any available spot for free as long as I buy his fuel (which I'm happy to do) and I've never had any hassles with him or his FBO. I'll bet he'd be happy to do the same for you.

They don't have the fancy building with a pilot's lounge and leather covered sofas or free cookies, but there are bathrooms in the lower level of the Florida Flight Training Center next door (I think the lower level is actually the public airport terminal). I think FFTC and FFM are at least loosely related.

So you don't have to overfly VNC, to avoid Triple Diamond.

Wow. Thanks Lance. I really like th folks at PGD, but it is a little further. I'll give them a call. I assume they can arrange rental cars just as Triple Diamond.

lancefisher said:
Punta Gorda could use the business (if they survive Wilma). They took it on the chin last year from Charlie.

BTW Alan, are you ever in the area over the Christmas break? I usually come down for that week as well as once later in the spring during my daughter's spring break.

We're down there most every Christmas break. I was supposed to visit for some golf with friends (one of the the guy that got reamed at Triple Diamond) this week but Wilma has postponed that. My wife just told me we'd be down there between Christmas and New Years. If you're there let's try to get together.

Last edited:
I've never had a bad experiance with a FBO yet. The majority seem to strive to provide quality service. I often fly about the most beat up C-150 around and always am treated like it's a king air. In exchange for that I always buy fuel. Though I'm pretty sure the FBO I rent from doesn't like that when I hand them the receipt.

There is one thing that bothers me. Though it is not the fault of the FBO.

I can rent an airplane and fly it three states away. But I cannot get a car to go three blocks to eat. This is something I'll have to put up with for another seven years. Though I have had luck a few times if the person running the counter is my age.

Make sure to post this on AirNav I look at the reviews before I ever choose a FBO.

Last edited:
jangell said:
There is one thing that bothers me. Though it is not the fault of the FBO.

I can rent an airplane and fly it three states away. But I cannot get a car to go three blocks to eat. This is something I'll have to put up with for another seven years. Though I have had luck a few times if the person running the counter is my age.

Haha,
I run into this problem all the time!!
I called and asked once if there was an exception for a pilot renting a car! They said NO exceptions.

Its pretty shocking that you can fly an airplane into an airport and they won't let you rent a car, but i guess thats how it is.

Alan said:
Wow. Thanks Lance. I really like th folks at PGD, but it is a little further. I'll give them a call. I assume they can arrange rental cars just as Triple Diamond.

They don't really have counter service at FFM, but the sister org FFT might be able to accomodate that. Otherwise Enterprise is in Venice and could pick you up if you arrive when they are open. I normally just take a taxi ride to our place in Nokomis since I have a car down there.

Alan said:
We're down there most ever Christmas break. I was supposed to visit for some golf with friends (one of the the guy that got reamed at Triple Diamond) this week but Wilma has postponed that. My wife just told me we'd be down there between Christmas and New Years. If your there let's try to get together.

I'll plan on it. I'll bet I've seen your Cessna at 3DJC before. Ken Ibold said he's planning on being on Siesta Key (just north of Venice) around that same week.

Last edited:
lancefisher said:
They used to be the underdog and made a strong effort to provide better service than the competition at a better price etc. Then the competition folded (both from the pressure and as fallout from the WTC terrorist training issue). Now they are pretty much the only game on the field and the attitude has change dramatically. Fortunately there is some (albeit limited) competition in the form of a maintenance shop and self serve fuel pumps.

I really don't understand how attitudes can change just because the other guy folded. raising prices a little is one thing, but to go from helpful to snotty doesn't make sense. what a bunch of maroons.

These guys weren't very friendly when we went there either. I flew my Aztec in there, so it's not like I didn't buy enough fuel either. I filled up after our flight, (a good 80 gallons) and also after our jaunt to Key West. (also around 80-90 gallons.) They acted like we really didn't belong there when we went in mid week to check on things. It was a nice FBO with good amenities, but the help there left a lot to be desired.

lancefisher said:
I'll plan on it. I'll bet I've seen your Cessna at 3DJC before. Ken Ibold said he's planning on being on Siesta Key (just north of Venice) around that same week.

Sounds as if we need to plan a board (bored?) pilots get together. Somewhere around Venice?

lancefisher said:

I've learned that they are also trying to eliminate even more of thier competition. They are pressing the city to revoke airport access for all of the "freelance" APs that don't work full time for either the FBO or FFTC.

woodstock said:
I really don't understand how attitudes can change just because the other guy folded. raising prices a little is one thing, but to go from helpful to snotty doesn't make sense. what a bunch of maroons.

When Huffman was the "official" FBO Triple Diamond was constantly using underhanded business practices to undercut Huffman.

For instance: Huffman had the contract with the city to monitor Unicom and provide services and fuel (and paid for the privilege). Triple Diamond would monitor Unicom and when an out of town pilot called to request fuel or some other service Triple Diamond would immediatly respond and direct the pilot to Triple Diamond. They continued to do this even after the city notified them that they were not allowed to use the Unicom frequency to direct trafic to themselves.

Back