The father I never knew

Eagle I

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kat
No, this is not about an absentee father, or a father who died when I was a child too young to remember him. This is about a father who is very much alive, if not completely well. It is about my father, the World War II B-24 navigator.

Like many veterans of that war, he was generally loath to talk about his experiences, although he had eagerly enlisted, like so many others of that generation. Although I knew from an early age that he had been involved in this remarkable piece of history, he shared his war stories sparingly. Maybe because I was just a kid at the time, I always liked the one about how after the war, the occupying GIs gave some Japanese kids some ice cream and, because their systems were not used to dairy, they all became sick. I remember, too, when one night, perhaps in a rare moment of nostalgia, he pulled out boxes full of photos that he had taken during his service, and shared with my sister and me anecdotes about some of the men in them. Many of them, of course, never made it back to the States. I'm not sure I was old enough to comprehend the gravity of it all, but I do remember those photos, those faces.

My father, because of his young age, was able to enlist only at the tail end of the war. Germany had already surrendered. My father ended up serving in the Pacific Theater.

Like many children, I suppose, I have had a somewhat complicated relationship with my parents over the years. Geographically and politically, we grew quite far apart. In childhood, however, my father and I were like kindred spirits, made all the more remarkable by the fact that I was a daughter, and not the son that he, like most men, had probably hoped for. I guess it made things easier that I was a tomboy. I have fond memories of spending hours with my father in our backyard in Indiana, tossing the football or softball around, or fishing together, his favorite activity.

Next week my father will turn 90, and my mother will turn 90 the month after. Recently my sister sent me a copy of my father's war diary. I didn't know it even existed, and neither did she, until, while helping my parents clean out their house to prepare it for sale, she found it and started reading. My father wanted to throw it out. How typical. Fortunately, my sister prevailed, and I have spent the last couple of days reading it, learning so much about the father I have always felt so close to, yet in many ways never knew.

I am the only pilot in my extended family, and I'd like to think maybe I got the aviation gene from my father, although after the war he apparently never showed much of an interest in flying, and was far more likely to drive to a destination than to fly to it. Still, when I read today about how his first mission aboard a B-24 was scrubbed because of a "mag drop," I couldn't help but smile at the connection.

So why am I writing this? Because I'm guessing many of you have similar stories, which I hope you'll share, and because I just wanted to say, thanks Dad, for everything you've done, for me and for my country.

Nice, Kat.

Maybe someday my daughters will write something like that about me. I hope so.

I learned a great deal about that era from the other side, my parents grew up during WWII in Germany. He probably doesn't talk about it because he doesn't want to think about what he did. People like to talk about WWII like it was a great achievement, but it wasn't, no war is an achievement regardless the result. Wars are always 'two steps back' regardless where the next step leads. Shall I recount to you the memories of a six year old girl in Berlin making her way down the street among dead bodies and falling bombs? That is the other side of the reality of those B-24 flights. That's the reality of war, that's why veterans are typically remiss to talk about their experience, they are not happy with themselves for what they did. I saw some graph that showed that in the last decade we have lost more service men to suicide than combat, it wouldn't surprise me.

Nice. My father was a child in Germany during the war. He would never talk about it. Ever. Except on day several years ago when we were out cutting firewood in the snow and came up for lunch. For about an hour he talked about it. Probably so we could warm up a bit before going back out. But he hasn't talked about it since.

Like your family, dad and I differ on a number of things, including politics. Our differences are fun to laugh about. We certainly don't take them seriouisly.

I learned a great deal about that era from the other side, my parents grew up during WWII in Germany. He probably doesn't talk about it because he doesn't want to think about what he did. People like to talk about WWII like it was a great achievement, but it wasn't, no war is an achievement regardless the result. Wars are always 'two steps back' regardless where the next step leads. Shall I recount to you the memories of a six year old girl in Berlin making her way down the street among dead bodies and falling bombs? That is the other side of the reality of those B-24 flights. That's the reality of war, that's why veterans are typically remiss to talk about their experience, they are not happy with themselves for what they did. I saw some graph that showed that in the last decade we have lost more service men to suicide than combat, it wouldn't surprise me.

B.S. The vast majority served honorably and believed in the mission they accomplished. Most don't talk about it readily because they realize they were lucky to get back safely, and may have a twinge of guilt for their friends and comrades who weren't so lucky.

War is a sad, but inevitable fact of humankind in its fallen state. I wish that weren't the case, but it is.

Kat, I'm happy that you uncovered that rare gem from your father's past. I'm sure you're savoring it.

I met a fellow lawyer at a CLE seminar last week who said her 91 year old father seldom talked about the war. He was an aviator in WWII. I told her I'd love to meet him and talk airplanes and maybe hear some of his stories before they're lost for eternity. She's going to try to talk him into it.

Thanks for the reminder. My dad hardly ever talked about WWII. He's gone now.

Kat, with age comes wisdom, and the ability to understand the bigger picture of life. The diary has bonded you with your father forever. Time also teaches us we will not live forever, make sure your father knows how you feel by spending time with him. That humanity will serve you well as you age.

Nice, Kat.

Maybe someday my daughters will write something like that about me. I hope so.

Thanks. And I've never met you*, but I bet your daughters have a lot to be proud of.

*This could change someday. It's on my bucket list to visit all 50 states before I die, and I believe Kansas is among only 10 states that I haven't been to. So expect a PM someday!:D

Thanks for sharing. God bless your father for his service.

B.S. The vast majority served honorably and believed in the mission they accomplished. Most don't talk about it readily because they realize they were lucky to get back safely, and may have a twinge of guilt for their friends and comrades who weren't so lucky.

War is a sad, but inevitable fact of humankind in its fallen state. I wish that weren't the case, but it is.

Kat, I'm happy that you uncovered that rare gem from your father's past. I'm sure you're savoring it.

The majority will also tell war stories all day long, those are not the people we're talking about.

War is not an inevitable fact, it is a matter of choice, of goals. War is only inevitable when greed rules.

Last edited:
Kat, with age comes wisdom, and the ability to understand the bigger picture of life. The diary has bonded you with your father forever. Time also teaches us we will not live forever, make sure your father knows how you feel by spending time with him. That humanity will serve you well as you age.

Thanks. Sound advice, which I intend to put into practice. I will be seeing my parents this weekend. I intend to share both this post, and other observations about his diary, with my father when I see him. I know that at their age, every day is precious. Oh hell, every day is precious no matter what our age!

Absolutely! I can't believe he wanted to throw it out! It's even very well-written. Now if only I can find those photos of his ...:wink2:

Thanks. And I've never met you*, but I bet your daughters have a lot to be proud of.

*This could change someday. It's on my bucket list to visit all 50 states before I die, and I believe Kansas is among only 10 states that I haven't been to. So expect a PM someday!:D

heh - most people think the best view of Kansas is the one in their rear view mirror!

But we do have a pretty good aviation history, along with a few other neat things to see.

My own dad is 80 now. He'll talk some about his Korea and Vietnam experiences if you ask. I have a feeling though, for him and a lot of vets it's just something in their past. They don't want to dwell too much on it and would rather look forward to the life they have in front of them.

Thank you for sharing that.

My father served in the Navy during WWII. He's in his 90s now and has never spoken much of it.

In recent years, he's told a few stories about how he spent the holidays during the war - in California...

Sonja Henie was performing for the troops and needed some local chorus boys. My dad was a skater and so took to the ice. He actually got to partner with her in one of the numbers.

We're a skating family, and it still took more 45 years (of my life) for this story to come out.

Enjoy your time with your father.

Last edited:
Thanks. Sound advice, which I intend to put into practice. I will be seeing my parents this weekend. I intend to share both this post, and other observations about his diary, with my father when I see him. I know that at their age, every day is precious. Oh hell, every day is precious no matter what our age!

Now that is sound advice! :lol:

Wonderful story Kat, thanks for sharing it.

My father was a paratrooper with the 101st, and was one of the unlucky ones who were dropped behind enemy lines on D-Day. He was shot twice, once in the head, on his way down, and spent the rest of the war trying to survive and evade capture.

Never spoke very much about it, but as a kid, I was very proud of him for his service. He died in 1978, before I could have, maybe, gotten him to open up a little about his experience. Your very lucky to have him with you all these years.

As Veterans day approaches, please extend your dad my thanks for his service. They don't call them the "greatest generation" for nothing.

Wonderful story, Kat. Reminds me of my dad, who was an officer (and present) on the Mighty Mo when Japan surrendered WW2. He was a plank officer - we still have the plank.

Here's a link to the letter he wrote home from the ship on the day of surrender.... http://travel2food.blogspot.com/

More later on his story and a project I'm doing as a tribute to him.

I was lucky enough to request and receive copies of my Dad's and my Uncle's service records from the Air Force. Interesting to see how a 15 yr old (Dad) fills out an application form (he lied about his age to join up). Interesting to see that my Uncle (who everyone thought was a Saint) had a few AWOL's during his time, before being shot down and killed.

I also befriended one of Dad's buddies after Dad passed, and he told of some of my Dad's wartime experiences. Like duty on a small island in the Pacific Northwest that was so desolate, that one of the soldiers cut off his pinkie in order to get off the island.

My Aunt (my mother's sister) also created a life history letter that she published that told of her life growing up. I had heard some stories/fables, but the actual truth, written as it was experienced, tells a far different story. Hindsight is not always accurate.

It has encouraged me to write my own history, bland as it is, so that my children can know me better. Kat, you are lucky to be able to read a diary from a young person "as it happens". I envy you.

OP, good story. My family is full of WWII Vets, and I have heard a few recounts of the missions. Some of them are more likely to talk about it than others. I always enjoyed when a few of them would be together and I was there. It was always good for a few stories, usually the same ones told the last time. They are all gone now, and I miss the stories and sound advise they always had to offer.

I was lucky enough to request and receive copies of my Dad's and my Uncle's service records from the Air Force. ...SNIP...
My father passed away many years ago. My sister came across some of his service papers. So using this new found information, I requested information about his service in WWII. They sent me a letter that said basically all the information had been lost and could I share what I had. They later sent me a letter saying they were fulfilling my request for information. In it, they returned COPIES of all the documents I sent.
Government at work.
I do know (from what my sister had) that he was in Europe, had been shot, after convalescence was sent back to the war. Dad never talked much about it. He bore the scare of the war on the back of his neck.
By the way, I came along 10 years after.

Absolutely! I can't believe he wanted to throw it out! It's even very well-written. Now if only I can find those photos of his ...:wink2:

I think many have similar sentiments of wanting to throw out journals from times that they may otherwise rather not thing about. I could imagine at 90 it being very hard to think about those friends your father had who died so young and weren't afforded the luxury of growing old.

I have several journals (obviously not from WWII) that I'd like to burn. For some reason I don't.

Thanks for sharing.
My father never talked about WWII. It was only by accident, talking to some old-timers in town, that I found out that he was in China with Chennault, building airfields and fuel depots in 1939, and how he was in Grand Central Station NYC, on his first trip home in 2 years, on December 7, 1941. He never made it the final 60 miles to home. They turned him around and sent him back overseas to the CBI theater via North Africa. He and the survivors of his outfit didn't know the war had ended until they walked out of the jungle in January of 1946.
Dad came home, went to work, flew floats for fun until he had his heart attack at age 33. My earliest memory is Dad putting parachutes on the back seat of a P-11 on floats so I could see out the windows.
Dad died in 2000, Mom in 2013. We found boxes of picture from the war, but there is no one left to put names or places to them.

I'm as guilty as Dad was. I never talk about my tours in Vietnam. My kids never even knew I was a pilot until I was talked into joining the Air Guard in 2011 as a chaplain. The first time I came downstairs in my uniform, with my wings and decorations was a shock to everyone, including my wife.

My father passed away many years ago. My sister came across some of his service papers. So using this new found information, I requested information about his service in WWII. They sent me a letter that said basically all the information had been lost and could I share what I had. They later sent me a letter saying they were fulfilling my request for information. In it, they returned COPIES of all the documents I sent.
Government at work.
I do know (from what my sister had) that he was in Europe, had been shot, after convalescence was sent back to the war. Dad never talked much about it. He bore the scare of the war on the back of his neck.
By the way, I came along 10 years after.

From my understanding, in 1968 (or so) there was a fire in the building storing records. Lots and lots of information was lost dating back to the early 1800s. I tried to get a copy of my uncles silver star (that my cousin sold for drugs) write up from WW II, but all that history is just gone.

Wonderful story, Kat. Reminds me of my dad, who was an officer (and present) on the Mighty Mo when Japan surrendered WW2. He was a plank officer - we still have the plank.

Here's a link to the letter he wrote home from the ship on the day of surrender.... http://travel2food.blogspot.com/

More later on his story and a project I'm doing as a tribute to him.

Thanks for sharing that great letter. Makes me miss the days when people actually wrote letters.

Back