Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Public Notification, Letters to Airmen (LTA) Web Based Service
Notice Number: NOTC5178

Cancellation: 02/17/2016

This Letter to Airmen serves as notice of changes in FAA policy for the dissemination of Letters to Airmen via a web client application. This becomes effective February 18, 2014. FAA facilities will discontinue dissemination of Letters to Airmen via prior means (i.e. US Postal Service, email or bulletin board postings).

Letters to Airmen will be available via the following web URL:

http://notams.aim.faa.gov/notamSearch/

:mad2:

The notice was on public view in the town hall on Alpha Centauri. If you can't take an interest in local affairs...

See the point is that YOU TELL US WHEN WE SHOULD KNOW, not that we need to check in with you.

In other news: "The National Weather Service will no longer issue weather alerts. Interested citizens can get the alerts for severe weather and tornadoes on the web..."

The town will no longer set off the air raid and weather sirens. Interested citizens can call 999-999-9999.

"web client application"???

To me that means "We wrote something in Java 12 years ago that won't actually function with modern day equipment.. Good luck."

"web client application"???

To me that means "We wrote something in Java 12 years ago that won't actually function with modern day equipment.. Good luck."

Like my town where they have an email notification service that emails you a link in the email that goes to the village home page where you search for the notice which gives you a link that gives you a .PDF file with 4 lines in it.

Ya think?

Guess where I heard, "We will have proof of your identity because you have to provide your email address and we verify it."

Last edited:
Yep, welcome to your government on sequester.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like my town where they have an email notification service that emails you a link in the email that goes to the village home page where you search for the notice which gives you a link that gives you a .PDF file with 4 lines in it.

Ya think?

Guess where I heard, "We will have proof of your identity because you have to provide your email address and we verify it."

They buy canned software and have someone who vaguely knows how to use word run it.

Not sure what the issue here is. I tried the NOTAM site and it was quick on the ipad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dammit I want my pink notam postcards.

Letters to Airmen (LTA) are not Notices to Airmen (NOTAM). This policy has no effect on NOTAM's, and I doubt many of you have been receiving LTA's, anyway.

Letters to Airmen (LTA) are not Notices to Airmen (NOTAM). This policy has no effect on NOTAM's, and I doubt many of you have been receiving LTA's, anyway.

Leave it to Ron to actually READ the language and take the wind out of everyone's sails. Party pooper!:rolleyes:

But some of us have, and prefer receiving them in our inbox..

But some of us have, and prefer receiving them in our inbox..
Welcome to the 21st century. In any event, LTA's do not put out "critical to flight" information for pilots (that goes in NOTAM's), just "nice to know", so even if you do get them now, it's not going to be a disaster if you stop getting them in paper form.

Welcome to the 21st century. In any event, LTA's do not put out "critical to flight" information for pilots (that goes in NOTAM's), just "nice to know", so even if you do get them now, it's not going to be a disaster if you stop getting them in paper form.

Not splitting hairs here but an inbox is not a "paper form".

That said, your point is well taken.

Leave it to Ron to actually READ the language and take the wind out of everyone's sails. Party pooper!:rolleyes:

Yeah, Ron, we're needlessly ranting here! Can't you wait a while? :D

One thing that's a little confusing is that the notice says that letters to airmen will be available on a NOTAM search site.

One thing that's a little confusing is that the notice says that letters to airmen will be available on a NOTAM search site.

I agree, and in fact I'm having trouble figuring out how to access the Letters to Airmen now. Will they be disseminated strictly through the NOTAM mechanism from now on? That would seem to be the implication based on the link given in the notice, but I went to that page, tried searching on several criteria, and found plenty of NOTAMs but nothing that looks like a LTA.

So I looked around a bit and found this page on the FAASTeam web site. Does this page include all the LTAs or is it just a collection of notices of interest to the FAASTeam that happen to include some LTAs as well? At any rate, it includes a RSS link, and since my mail reader includes RSS capability (which I already use for several aviation-related feeds such as the Jeppesen nav data notices), I figured that would be about as good as getting the LTAs via email.

However, the RSS link on that page is wrong -- it points to the FAASTeam news page instead of the notices page.

Fortunately, by trial and error I did find the correct RSS link for the notices page. However, that page includes notices for all geographical areas. One thing I like about the FAASTeam email preferences is that it includes a category called "Local Air Safety Information." I get some good information through that channel (e.g., LTAs from the local San Antonio TRACON). Can anyone tell me if this change will put a stop to those notices, too?

Oh, well; in my experience this is par for the course. I've always found it very hard to find anything on the FAA web site -- or, more correctly, on the FAA's vast collection of interrelated but poorly organized web sites. Saving bookmarks hardly helps, either, because the URLs seem to change about as often as I change my socks. To be fair, the situation has improved quite a bit in the past couple of years. They seem to be headed in the right direction, but they have a long way to go.

Why not just dump the LTAs on data.gov? Some of the information would fit right in with the government reports on sardine production in Zimbabwe in 1955.

Back