The FAA taketh away. Again...

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
The FAA apparently is going to phase out TIS at a number of TRACONs. Which leaves those of us who bought mode S transponders so we could get TIS holding the bag.

Granted TIS is kind of primitive, but it does work, especially in busy airspace, and it's saved my buns a couple of times.

So somehow taking TIS away is somehow supposed to promote safety? :dunno:

The FAA has made it very clear in many statement over the last couple of years that ADS-B, not Mode S, is their system of choice for the future of data-linked information transfer. Anyone looking to the future needs to be looking at the Garmin GDL90, not the Mode S transponder, if they're equipping a plane today and want to be part of the system tomorrow. Buying Mode S today is about like buying an ADF -- you can still use it now, but eventually, it's going away, so you'd be a lot better off spending the extra money for an IFR GPS.

Ron Levy said:
The FAA has made it very clear in many statement over the last couple of years that ADS-B, not Mode S, is their system of choice for the future of data-linked information transfer. Anyone looking to the future needs to be looking at the Garmin GDL90, not the Mode S transponder, if they're equipping a plane today and want to be part of the system tomorrow. Buying Mode S today is about like buying an ADF -- you can still use it now, but eventually, it's going away, so you'd be a lot better off spending the extra money for an IFR GPS.

You know, it really strikes me that we have to be very careful about what we put in out planes considering the large costs. I was going to buy into Anywhere Map and now the Garmin 396 has made that obsolete. Now Mode S is obsolete and anyone with that technology is SOL. Maybe we need an Avionics section to track this stuff.

Our club just sunk about 30k into avionics upgrades including the Garming GDX330 mode S transponder. :(

inav8r said:
Our club just sunk about 30k into avionics upgrades including the Garming GDX330 mode S transponder. :(
Yeah. I put mine in about 2 1/2 years ago when it looked TIS would be around for the foreseeable future.

RotaryWingBob said:
Yeah. I put mine in about 2 1/2 years ago when it looked TIS would be around for the foreseeable future.

So did I. BUt then again, I needed a new transponder at the time (looking at significant repairs on the old one), and this one have been flawless in operation. Having the TIS was icing on the cake, and well worth the effort, even if parts of it will go away over the next 4 years.

Ron Levy said:

I believe that the FAA's link decision on ADS-B went with two systems -- UAT and Mode S (1030/1090). Mode S is an integral part of TCAS II systems and the airlines and corporate avaiation are not going to be removing Mode S transponders. ADS-B was originally developed using Mode S and this isn't going away.

TIS is an application over Mode S and ADS-B is just another application. Having a Mode S transponder installed now doesn't mean that you will not be part of the system tomorrow.

anonn said:
TIS is an application over Mode S and ADS-B is just another application. Having a Mode S transponder installed now doesn't mean that you will not be part of the system tomorrow.

So what you're saying is we are worrying over nothing?

Anthony said:
So what you're saying is we are worrying over nothing?

What I'm hearing him say is "go ahead and put in the Mode S now, because you will have to have it when the FAA requires that you install ADS-B equipment".

wsuffa said:
What I'm hearing him say is "go ahead and put in the Mode S now, because you will have to have it when the FAA requires that you install ADS-B equipment".
Unless I misunderstand ADS-B, you do not need Mode S to use it. If I'm wrong, somebody who knows please correct me, because the advice to skip the Mode S transponder and get a GDL90 came from a guy who works that stuff inside the FAA.

The GDL90 is UAT system. It is the other link that can be used for ADS-B.

Back