The Evolution of Aviation Law

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
In another thread I asked "Why Private Pilots can't be compensated" for the use of their property and skills?". How did we get from 1903, when everything was legal (or, at least, not illegal) to 2012, where virtually all reimbursement is forbidden?

Unsatisfied with the answers, I approached my friend, aviation attorney and author Rick Durden, and asked him to weigh in on the discussion. With his permission, here is his response, which contains some previously unknown (to me) information about reimbursement for medical flights:

"Until the last few months, if you made a flight for Angel Flight you could not legally get reimbursed for fuel unless you and the organization complied with the very complicated waiver (if the organization had the waiver and only 8 do). I know there were volunteer pilot organizations that were illegally reimbursing pilots for fuel; I know of only a couple FAA enforcement actions. A law was passed this spring allowing medical transport groups to reimburse volunteer pilots for fuel and directing the FAA to set up regulations for the process - I'm on a committee that is working with the FAA to issue regulations that are not as horrendous as the waiver because the wavier is so difficult that virtually no pilots are complying - it's cheaper to pay for the gas than to comply with the waiver.

However, right now, there is a big opening, any medical transport volunteer pilot organization can reimburse pilots for fuel until the FAA puts the regs into place, which won't be until sometime next year.

So, if you want to fly your buddy to Mayo, have him go through a volunteer pilot organization, you take the mission and get reimbursed.

Actually, from what I can tell, the regs on pilots getting paid when carrying passengers go back to the horrific railroad accidents of the last half of the 1800s. They were so frequent and so bad that (capitalism wasn't self-regulating, most people lived where they had no choice as to which railroad they could take) regulations slowly were introduced and lawsuits against the railroads for negligence developed a field of transportation law. It boiled down to this: a paying passenger must be given the highs standard of care (above the standard of ordinary care).

That carried over to aviation. A pilot carrying a passenger who was paying for the flight was obligated to provide the highest standard of care - which evolved into regulations regarding required pilot training, certification, aircraft maintenance and so forth, just as it had with the railroads.

But, some exceptions were carved out: A pilot carrying a paying passenger on a sightseeing flight (read barnstormer flying from a field and giving a flight that lasted maybe five minutes) was not under the highest standard of care obligation.

Then came the whole fight over what was "paying passenger?" That law evolved into a pilot who was carrying passengers for their own purposes was not obligated to the highest standard of care because he wasn't getting paid and the passenger wasn't paying. The fine line that was drawn (and lines have to be drawn somewhere) was that the occupants could split the cost of the fuel (or rental) and the pilot had to pay his pro-rata share.

The question is not the right of the pilot (pilot's have few "rights" as flying is a privilege, subject to revocation), the issue is the protection of the innocent passenger who is not in control of the airplane and what level of protection is owed to that passenger. If the passenger is going for a ride with a friend and splitting the cost, the passenger should not have the expectation of some high level of safety. The moment the passenger pays for the flight, beyond splitting costs, the passenger has an expectation (under the law) of the highest level of safety and therefore the pilot must comply with the regulations of Part 135 or 121.

When you think of the law as evolving from the perspective of protecting innocent passengers, it tends to make sense - such as why a pilot flying solo can do acro without a chute, but if there is a passenger, chutes must be worn. If you think of the law from the perspective of the pilot, it seems like everyone is trying to screw the pilot - which is often the case, but the pilot is the captain of the ship, is ultimately responsible for the safety of all aboard and has to bite the bullet when it comes to compliance with regulations that were created for passenger protection."

Sent from my Nexus 7

Can we keep this discussion to Jay's original point, please?

One point of clarification on Rick's excellent discusstion, where he said, "So, if you want to fly your buddy to Mayo, have him go through a volunteer pilot organization, you take the mission and get reimbursed." Your reimbursement must come from the volunteer organization approved as a charity out of the funds they collect as charitable donations. It cannot come from the passenger, and the organization cannot solicit the passenger for a donation, nor accept a donation from that passenger, specifically for that flight. It really must be totally free to the passenger.

Can we keep this discussion to Jay's original point, please?

It is - I think - the main point. No industry or activity involving more than a few individuals is self regulating thus necessitating an evolution of regulation over time based on conditions. How that external regulation is accomplished - legislation, executive rule making procedures, industry association, or through judicial precedent is just flavor.

Last edited:
Well, you do have to remember -- Rick is pretty Left Wing. Of course he had to throw in that crack about capitalism, if for no other reason than to needle me a bit! :D

Nonetheless, his explanation of the evolution of piloting regulations rings true. As with all things government, you can always rely on two things:

1. Given a mission, they will never complete it, since to do so would cause them to become unemployed.

2. Parameters of all kinds will tighten over time.

We have seen the parameters tightened to the point where our private property rights have been negated, and our ability to even share flight expenses is severely limited.

I don't know if any of this will ever change, but it's nice to hear about others who are taking steps in that direction.

Agreed that regulators aren't going away any time soon.

If we can read that stuff, we gotta assume people inside the beltway can do the same. When all of the changes that have taken place over the past 50 years (when the huge growth in numbers took place) are considered, a regulator confronted with a petition for change might react differently than we hope when evaluating the sorry GA accident rate, as appears to be currently under way with home-builts. Any update/re-write of some of the regs currently on the books can be less than ideal for the industry, as the 135's have already painfully discovered and the 121's are learning as a result of the new ATP requirements.

IMO, thinking we would get a free pass and a "something for nothing" accommodation from the man is a bit naive.

Agreed that regulators aren't going away any time soon.

If we can read that stuff, we gotta assume people inside the beltway can do the same. When all of the changes that have taken place over the past 50 years (when the huge growth in numbers took place) are considered, a regulator confronted with a petition for change might react differently than we hope when evaluating the sorry GA accident rate, as appears to be currently under way with home-builts. Any update/re-write of some of the regs currently on the books can be less than ideal for the industry, as the 135's have already painfully discovered and the 121's are learning as a result of the new ATP requirements.

IMO, thinking we would get a free pass and a "something for nothing" accommodation from the man is a bit naive.

What bothers me (and probably the FAA) is their dual role of promoting safety AND aviation, since in this case they may see their roles as contradictory.

Still, I think its a stretch to say that being allowed to have your buddy buy a tank of gas because you flew him to the island is "getting something for nothing from the Man". After all, it is little changes like this that could save GA from extinction. I would hope that extinction prevention falls under the "promotion" side of the FAA's mission.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Not surprised. I wouldn't even be surprised if the idea of regulating commercial carriers didn't go back even further - the the stagecoaches of the 1800s or even British liveries of even earlier than that.

Not sure Rick's answer is that different than others in various discussions of the subject.

Not surprised. I wouldn't even be surprised if the idea of regulating commercial carriers didn't go back even further - the the stagecoaches of the 1800s or even British liveries of even earlier than that.

Not sure Rick's answer is that different than others in various discussions of the subject.

No, it wasn't much different, but Rick's post carries the weight of expertise as an aviation attorney, respected aviation historian, and author.

I see the whole story as a cautionary lesson on regulation in general. If we could transport them through time, I'm sure the pilots and Congressmen of the 1920s would be astounded to see the FAA they have wrought. Just the FAR/AIM would bring them to tears, I suspect.

Sent from my Nexus 7

What bothers me (and probably the FAA) is their dual role of promoting safety AND aviation, since in this case they may see their roles as contradictory.

Wasn't the mandate to promote aviation removed from the FAA Charter a number of years back? I thought it was. I remember there being some brouhaha. Might be wrong.

I think so too but Jay isn't always interested in facts when he's on a tear.:rofl:

Wasn't the mandate to promote aviation removed from the FAA Charter a number of years back? I thought it was. I remember there being some brouhaha. Might be wrong.

I think so too but Jay isn't always interested in facts when he's on a tear.:rofl:

Really? Why would you say that? I could just as easily make all sorta of silly observations about your posting history -- but I'm too polite for that. :rolleyes::p:eek:

Did they remove the promotional mandate from the FAA?

Sent from my Nexus 7

Because it's true.

Take your best shot. Let me know when you find histrionics even close to yours.

Really? Why would you say that? I could just as easily make all sorta of silly observations about your posting history -- but I'm too polite for that. :rolleyes::p:eek:

Sent from my Nexus 7

As the Borg said, "Discussion is futile"

Gambling is also against some regulation or other - several in fact - but the guys having a weekly poker party in somebody's garage don't seem fixated on it and don't seem inclined to spend an lot of energy debating it on the internet - like we seem to do.

Who paid for the gas at the airport pump is personal business. The FAA/FSDO has no way of knowing who pulled out the credit card unless one of the participants makes it a point to go have a discussion, anymore than they would know who put the gas into the car that brought us to the airport - or is some pea brain going to now take the position THAT is also controlled under the FAA regs?

Let me give you something more substantive and more relevant to chew on - logging PIC time.
Do you know that the FAA considers ALL time spent from the moment you form the intent to go fly until you walk away from the hangar door afterwards, to be PIC time. (assuming you did the flying) In other words - for those whose brain is still in the fog of "Can I pay Fred for the gas to drive out to the airport or is that a violation of the regs?" - you can/may/should log the time you spend checking the weather, drawing pencil lines on a sectional, kicking the tires, checking the oil, briefing the passengers, watching the line boy pump gas from the big truck, run back in to check for a pop up TFR, Taxi out, fly, taxi in, push it in the hangar, and lock the door behind you, as PIC?

ANSWER:
Of course you don't or you would have been logging it all along.

Now, for those happy warriors still debating where the comma goes in an FAA reg on sharing of expenses, do you have the cajones to do what the FAA has specifically put in writing as being part and parcel of the REQUIRED responsibilities of the PIC in order to conduct a flight?

Knowing this bunch, I'm betting NO.

On a more pertinent time logging subject, assume a CFI is riding with another pilot who is properly licensed, qualified and current in the aircraft. Is the CFI permitted to log the time while he is asleep during the short naps he frequently takes while airborne?

As the Borg said, "Discussion is futile"

Gambling is also against some regulation or other - several in fact - but the guys having a weekly poker party in somebody's garage don't seem fixated on it and don't seem inclined to spend an lot of energy debating it on the internet - like we seem to do.

Who paid for the gas at the airport pump is personal business. The FAA/FSDO has no way of knowing who pulled out the credit card unless one of the participants makes it a point to go have a discussion, anymore than they would know who put the gas into the car that brought us to the airport - or is some pea brain going to now take the position THAT is also controlled under the FAA regs?

Let me give you something more substantive and more relevant to chew on - logging PIC time.
Do you know that the FAA considers ALL time spent from the moment you form the intent to go fly until you walk away from the hangar door afterwards, to be PIC time. (assuming you did the flying) In other words - for those whose brain is still in the fog of "Can I pay Fred for the gas to drive out to the airport or is that a violation of the regs?" - you can/may/should log the time you spend checking the weather, drawing pencil lines on a sectional, kicking the tires, checking the oil, briefing the passengers, watching the line boy pump gas from the big truck, run back in to check for a pop up TFR, Taxi out, fly, taxi in, push it in the hangar, and lock the door behind you, as PIC?

ANSWER:
Of course you don't or you would have been logging it all along.

Now, for those happy warriors still debating where the comma goes in an FAA reg on sharing of expenses, do you have the cajones to do what the FAA has specifically put in writing as being part and parcel of the REQUIRED responsibilities of the PIC in order to conduct a flight?

Knowing this bunch, I'm betting NO.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Yes. I'm thinking more than 10 years ago.
No, it wasn't much different, but Rick's post carries the weight of expertise as an aviation attorney, respected aviation historian, and author.
I'll pass on the compliment when I see Rick in a few weeks.
I'm sure the pilots and Congressmen of the 1920s would be astounded to see the FAA they have wrought.
...and you expect aviation to be different than every other regulated activity because....?

Last edited:
Yes. I'm thinking more than 10 years ago.
I'll pass on the compliment when I see Rick in a few weeks.
...and you expect aviation to be different than every other regulated activity because....?

We ran into Rick at OSH this year, as usual. He was one of our first guests, back when we opened in 2002, and was one of the first journalists to do a write-up on our aviation themed hotel. Say "Hi" for Mary and me!

As for my expectations of the modern FAA, I have no preconceived notions that they will ever perform as a friend of GA. I would be happy if they just left us alone, but that's unlikely , too. :(

Sent from my Nexus 7

Why, why, WHY are aviation businessmen so bad? Yeah, right.

I hear about this ALL THE TIME. We had a guest last weekend who owns two airplanes. His second one -- a Piper Super Cub -- had been in the shop for ELEVEN MONTHS for an engine overhaul and recovering, with no end date in sight.

When I asked what was going on, he had no idea. He was really irked about it, and called the shop regularly, but just kept getting blown off, and there was really nothing that he could do, now that the covering was off the fuselage. (What's he gonna do -- fly it home?)

He is out almost an entire year of insurance, not to mention a whole year of flying. At his age, that is significant.

Sent from my Nexus 7

No further questions of this witness. Or shall we go back to the threads about the guy using your crew car and you're not in it for the money?

Last edited:
If we could transport them through time, I'm sure the pilots and Congressmen of the 1920s would be astounded to see the FAA they have wrought.

They would not be astounded since they wouldn't care. It is a RARE Congressman / Congresswoman / Senator who has ANY idea what they are voting on in any given bill or ANY interest in the result ten minutes after it becomes law.

Anyone who thinks this a new phenomenon has not studied history.

Cheers

+1 I worked the '86 tax bill on the hill. They were clueless. To his credit, Packwood sold them a bill of goods that would rival any carnival huckster that ever worked for Barnum and Bailey.

They would not be astounded since they wouldn't care. It is a RARE Congressman / Congresswoman / Senator who has ANY idea what they are voting on in any given bill or ANY interest in the result ten minutes after it becomes law.

Anyone who thinks this a new phenomenon has not studied history.

Cheers

We ran into Rick at OSH this year, as usual. He was one of our first guests, back when we opened in 2002, and was one of the first journalists to do a write-up on our aviation themed hotel. Say "Hi" for Mary and me!
I will. Hopefully it will be in few weeks but I'm schedule to be on trial so it may not be until December (it's a regular local get-together).

Why, why, WHY are aviation businessmen so bad? Yeah, right.

I hear about this ALL THE TIME. We had a guest last weekend who owns two airplanes. His second one -- a Piper Super Cub -- had been in the shop for ELEVEN MONTHS for an engine overhaul and recovering, with no end date in sight.

When I asked what was going on, he had no idea. He was really irked about it, and called the shop regularly, but just kept getting blown off, and there was really nothing that he could do, now that the covering was off the fuselage. (What's he gonna do -- fly it home?)

He is out almost an entire year of insurance, not to mention a whole year of flying. At his age, that is significant.

No further questions of this witness. Or shall we go back to the threads about the guy using your crew car and you're not in it for the money?

I don't see anything there that's not factual. It's well-written and interesting to read -- which is certainly more than I can say about this thread-hijack...
:rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 7

Yeah, right.

I don't see anything there that's not factual. It's well-written and interesting to read -- which is certainly more than I can say about this thread-hijack...
:rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 7

Back