The Envelope, Please.....

DutchessFlier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DutchessFlier
As you may recall, my last post was about what I thought was a really bad lesson that turned out to be a very good lesson. Today, Sunday, May 31st, those who live in the northeast, especially around the metro NYC area can realate to this posting.

I managed to burn in some of my soft and short field work since I last posted. The WX has been basically miserable around here. Got in my night dual and moved on to the cross country phase. Last night was absolutely beautiful, calm, and one of those nights when you can literally see for a hundred miles around. Where I fly in the Mid Hudson Valley, we could see Albany to the north and NYC to the south it was that clear. The Best!

Today, we had a late afternoon x-c flight scheduled from my home base, go about 75 miles north, land and turn around. Spent most of the late morning and afternoon following the metars and tafs and briefs to see when the convection was gonna move east ahead of a surprisingly healthy coldfront..which it finally did. Wrote the flight plans, hassled with the flight computer, more WX check, and saw that the rain had passed out to the east. But man did it leave behind some wicked winds. Sky cleared, crosswind components way above my personals, reports of LLWS, turbulence and the like, preflight in progress, one final chat with my instructor. I was hesitant to go, I didn't say no to the flight, but was willing if he was. We met again in the hangar, and I said, perhaps we should call it off. He said lets go, it was gonna be a turbulent flight, but not unsafe. We flew the flight plan north, stayed pretty much on course and had our moments in the plane with winds and shear. My instructor handled to final phase of the landing due to crosswinds and gusts (some gusts were forcast to be between 22 and 31 kts this afternoon). We landed, closed out the flight plan, got right back in the plane and flew home. Return trip was direct to our VOR fix then into the pattern and landing. Was this a useful lesson? I learned alot about pilotage, RNAV and how tough it is to deal with sectionals and flight plans in a cockpit that would not stay still, nor a plane that you could trim out and fly hands off.

How and when does one learn about his or her own personal minimums? Is pushing an envelope inherently unsafe? Does pushing your envelope imply that you are willing to take unsafe risks and do harm, damage or worse to yourself and others? We talked about this in the plane during the flight back home. I realized without a doubt where my personal limit is, ( I always knew this, but to feel it and sense it in the flight environment is very, very eye opening) and that to risk pushing through it, would be foolish and dangerous. But I also learned what a small plane is like in rough conditions, that should I get myself into a fix due to poor planning or making stupid decisions to fly in conditions above my minimums, this is what I would be in store for, or worse. I learned that I did push the envelope today, and that I needed to step back a couple of good paces from the edge to remain safe and alive. My instructor worried that, although I had used all available resources to make the decision to fly today, I was not always going to have a CFI in the plane to fly through the difficulties and he truly worries that I would fly in these conditions when I get my license.

How and when does one learn about his or her own personal minimums? Is pushing an envelope inherently unsafe? Does pushing your envelope imply that you are willing to take unsafe risks and do harm, damage or worse to yourself and others? We talked about this in the plane during the flight back home. I realized without a doubt where my personal limit is, ( I always knew this, but to feel it and sense it in the flight environment is very, very eye opening) and that to risk pushing through it, would be foolish and dangerous. But I also learned what a small plane is like in rough conditions, that should I get myself into a fix due to poor planning or making stupid decisions to fly in conditions above my minimums, this is what I would be in store for, or worse. I learned that I did push the envelope today, and that I needed to step back a couple of good paces from the edge to remain safe and alive. My instructor worried that, although I had used all available resources to make the decision to fly today, I was not always going to have a CFI in the plane to fly through the difficulties and he truly worries that I would fly in these conditions when I get my license.

Ideally you expand the envelope with little nibbles rather than big bites. The idea behind this is that you are likely to be capable of being quite safe in conditions that you are slightly uncomfortable with because you will be paying close attention and hopefully have an option or two available should you decide in the air that you're not quite ready for the next nibble or that it's turned into a big bite. For example WRT crosswinds, if you take on a little more than you're perfectly capable of you might wander a little off the centerline but won't come close to losing the runway and if things just aren't working out you can salvage the situation by adding power (expecting the plane to try and veer left) and lifting back off for a landing on a runway somewhere that's more aligned with the wind. You should discuss the appropriate size of your nibbles with the CFI, generally bigger bites are plausible with the instructor along than without. It's also important that you never cease attempting to control the airplane and make it do your bidding (baring the CFI taking over). A lot of runway (and other) incidents occur because the pilot quit flying the airplane and became a passenger on a thrill ride.

Sounds to me like another good lesson. I was flying in the NYC area yesterday afternoon. We departed from HPN about 4 PM, went down the Hudson and did a city tour, then I landed at Caldwell, with winds 300 @ 9G18 on runway 22. It was a fun landing, although the guy behind me didn't do so hot with it and had to do a go-around. However, those conditions are not abnormal, and they are things you need to learn and know how to deal with. I was happy to be in the Aztec for that trip, especially since I had a passenger with me who'd never been in a GA aircraft before.

Lance is correct, ideally you expand your envelope with little nibbles. The fact that you had the inkling to call it off shows good judgement, and if you were solo then that would have been the thing to do. The fact that your instructor said to go anyway was also good. You got valuable experience in those kinds of conditions (which do exist) with an instructor there. There are many pilots whose instructors do them a tremendous disservice by not taking them out in less than perfect conditions.

As to how you push the envelope - little nibbles, yes, but also you're at the point where you're still just starting to learn. This is where the instructor is good to have. You can push your limits a bit further with him in the plane as the safety net (both to tell you to stop and also to fix anything that gets out of hand). This is one of the most valuable points of having an instructor in the plane with you. As you gain experience, you'll also gain judgement and know where to push and where not to push. Remember that your private pilot certificate is a license to learn, and the learning should never stop.

Keep at it - you're doing great so far as I can tell.

How and when does one learn about his or her own personal minimums? Is pushing an envelope inherently unsafe? Does pushing your envelope imply that you are willing to take unsafe risks and do harm, damage or worse to yourself and others?

You must push the envelope to become a better pilot, but only push one corner at a time. And definitely only push a bit at a time.

So, let's say your personal minimums are 3000x75 runway size, 10 knot crosswind component, and 8 miles visibility. Clearly you wouldn't want to fly to a 1500x20 runway with 20 knots crosswind and 3 miles visibility. Flying to a 2500x50 runway with a 12-knot crosswind and 6 miles visibility may be tempting, but you're pushing too many corners at once, even if you're only pushing a little. (Take a CFI for this one.) But, if you're flying to a 2500x50 runway with only an 8-knot crosswind component and 10-mile visibility, and you've thought about what's going to be different and what your outs are going to be, and you've checked to make sure that your airplane is capable of getting in and out of a 2500-foot strip (any trainer should be able to do quite a bit better than that), then you're good to go for a learning experience. Is this something you want to do with pax aboard? Probably not.

Eventually, you'll start finding what your permanent personal minimums will be. This is not necessarily based on skill! For example, I don't like flying VFR when the visibility is less than 6 miles - It's darn near impossible to see other traffic. I've flown on a 5-mile vis day on flight following and had several traffic calls for a plane less than a mile away, same altitude, and never saw him. That one is based on comfort level.

You'll also find areas where you're capable of flying safely, but you just don't want to for a particular mission. For example, flying solo in moderate turbulence I have no problem with, but I don't want to take someone for their first GA airplane ride in it. I've also cancelled a flight for a $100 hamburger that was in particularly challenging IFR conditions when I felt a little fatigued. *Could* I have done it? Sure, but it starts to be not fun at that point, and the point of a $100 burger is fun.

I get the feeling that most instructors talk about personal minimums mainly with respect to ceiling, visibility, etc. but there's a lot more to it than that. For example, here's a few of the personal minimums I have:

1) No hard IFR on less than 6 hours of sleep.
2) No VFR with 5 miles or less visibility (I'm instrument rated, so I just file IFR in this situation).
3) Always land with at least a full hour of fuel on board.
4) No crossing Lake Michigan except between July 1 and Labor Day and at sufficient altitude to have less than 5 minutes of exposure time where I'm not within gliding distance to shore, and either IFR or on flight following.

I think that's all I have. There are situations where I'll cancel for a wide variety of conditions that are all borderline enough to make me uncomfortable with the flight for the particular mission, but that's pretty much just based on intuition. After 700 hours, I have yet to come up with permanent minimums for some things. For example, wind: I've pushed and pushed and now landed quite a few times with up to 20G31 direct crosswind. You do the same things you do on any crosswind landing, you just do them to a greater degree. I have not run out of rudder yet! I have diverted once due to winds from an approaching thunderstorm I was trying to beat home - Approach said "November 71G, winds now 250 at 19 gusting 47, say intentions."

Tangent: "Say intentions" is another thing you should really pay attention to. If a controller says that, it generally means "If you keep doing what you've told me you plan to do, based on the information I have I think you're likely to get into a very unsafe situation." It's ATC's method of giving you a warning. You may have information that they don't (for example, if they say "N123, I'm showing an area of level 3 precipitation at your 12 o'clock, say intentions" you may be able to reply "I'm VMC and I have the rain shaft in sight and it looks like I'll remain clear" and continue on your merry way). However, if you don't have information to contradict the unsafe situation they're notifying you of, you'd be wise to change your plan. If you need time to come up with a new plan, just say "stand by" and take a minute to make your decision, provided that still gives you time to avoid the unsafe situation. (End Tangent)

In conclusion: Push the envelope in small steps, push only one corner at a time, but do take practice flights where you take a small step in one corner with enough "outs" to get back to familiar territory safely. If you want to push more than one corner, or take a slightly bigger step in one corner, take a CFI with you. Do not try to take big steps in multiple corners. And for now, while you're a student, your envelope-pushing should be under the direction of a CFI at the very least, and preferably with the CFI aboard. This is not a process you need to hurry. :no:

I did a solo cross country earlier in my training in moderate to severe turbulence and on the way back, my transponder quit working. So while I'm bouncing like a pinball in the cockpit, I am trying to compute distances and locations for Lubbock approach so that they could know where I was and enter the class C airspace. I learned more on that return trip than in the rest of my training on how to handle an airplane.

You will be more confident with more experience. Your abilities will increase. You must still be able to say, "no."
But your own abilities will grow.:blueplane:

Back