The End of the Road Fly In

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Ok, this is very preliminary, and of course, I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but I honestly feel that I will accomplish my goal of hitting all 57 (or 59, depending on the condition of 2 of the dirt strips left) airports in New Mexico, so I'd like to make the last one a bit special.

So y'all are invited to join me for a BBQ at Angel Fire, NM (KAXX) on October 27th. It is the highest elevation airport in New Mexico, and looks like it'll be a load of fun to have be my last airport. I have drawn up a flyer that will likely change a bit before then. I need to call the Airport Manager and work out the details, but I'm curious how many people would be willing to come to this.

edit: Adding information gathered below

If we can get at least 5 rooms, we qualify for a group discount. It'd be $79 a night for a room with 2 queen size beds. I can block off a chunk of rooms, and y'all can call and claim them if that's how we want to do it. Got another confirmation of what should be great weather in October.

So far, possible attendees are:

Nick Brennan
Don Jones
Richard
Joe Areeda
Chip Gibbons
Steve See
Adam Z

I'll adds them as they comes

Attachments

• Fly In Flyer.jpg
    Fly In Flyer.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Dude, I wish I could say I was gonna be there. We'll see what happens as time progresses.
Great poster---love the directions.

I've got nothing on the calendar for 10/27. I'd be interested in making the trip.

Chip

hmmmm. I guess I could fly to ABQ on SWA if you can fly me there and back? I'll check with the CAB

Cool!

Sounds like a good way to end the journey. Bit of a hike for me though! Send BBQ back home with AdamZ.

Gary

As much as I'd like to Nick..I haven't faired well on cross country trips that time of year. Way too easy to get some system just sitting over the midwest with ice and 100 ft ceilings.

We'll see though.

Not sure if I'll be back in the air by then (school sucks for time) but if I am, I'm there. If I'm not, I'd be willing to play navigator to anyone in the PHX area (or passing through).

Man, Nick, I'd love to... But that's a hike (837nm)! I'd be happy to go if I can find someone else to fly with and share expenses, even someone I meet halfway or something (especially if they have a faster plane :yes:). Lance? EdFred? Jesse? Grant? Scott? Jeez, with all those folks in the area we should be able to figure something out.

Probably wont happen in October, weather turns to poo here, and I'd be stuck in Kansas for 3 weeks waiting for the weather to clear up. Would be a last minute thing if I did.

flyingcheesehead said:
Lance? EdFred? Jesse? Grant? Scott? Jeez, with all those folks in the area we should be able to figure something out.

Weather depending I'd be willing to split expenses.

N2212R said:
Probably wont happen in October, weather turns to poo here, and I'd be stuck in Kansas for 3 weeks waiting for the weather to clear up. Would be a last minute thing if I did
Or you can just take the greyhound.

Here is a picture of me taking the Greyhound back from Des Moines, IA after being stranded by weather....You can see how happy I am.
DSCF1650.jpg

Elevation eight thousand whaaaaa?
Those with C-150's might have some trouble getting there... :)
(sounds like fun, wish I could go!)

--Kath

I got the date in my schedule. I'll be there barring something I can't control. And Brian Phoenix is on the way.

Joe

SkyHog said:
Ok, this is very preliminary, and of course, I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but I honestly feel that I will accomplish my goal of hitting all 57 (or 59, depending on the condition of 2 of the dirt strips left) airports in New Mexico, so I'd like to make the last one a bit special.

So y'all are invited to join me for a BBQ at Angel Fire, NM (KAXX) on October 27th. It is the highest elevation airport in New Mexico, and looks like it'll be a load of fun to have be my last airport. I have drawn up a flyer that will likely change a bit before then. I need to call the Airport Manager and work out the details, but I'm curious how many people would be willing to come to this.

Nick, The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta is the (first or second week of Oct.??) Any chance you might schedule during that time frame. I Plan
on attending. If so, I would like to attend your BBQ. I would even bring some eastern North Carolina BBQ for you to sample.
I would be flying commercial ..gasp!
Can you supply info on where I might check out a rental (C-152,C-172, Pa 28-160 Pa28-180 are the only planes I have flown... well I have some PA 12 time, but no tailwheel endorsement... yet.

Last edited:
flyingcheesehead said:
Man, Nick, I'd love to... But that's a hike (837nm)! I'd be happy to go if I can find someone else to fly with and share expenses, even someone I meet halfway or something (especially if they have a faster plane :yes:). Lance? EdFred? Jesse? Grant? Scott? Jeez, with all those folks in the area we should be able to figure something out.

I just crunched some numbers, and I don't think I'll be able to make it. Over $1500 in rental fees, two days vacation (which is already spoken for), and the real possibility of getting stuck by icing or instrument weather (though I expect to have the instrument ticket by then). I notice that the obstacle departure plate has 14000 foot minimums. I have no O2.

jangell said:
Weather depending I'd be willing to split expenses.

Or you can just take the greyhound.

Here is a picture of me taking the Greyhound back from Des Moines, IA after being stranded by weather....You can see how happy I am.
DSCF1650.jpg

...while still paying airplane rental...

cherokeeflyboy said:
Nick, The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta is the (first or second week of Oct.??) Any chance you might schedule during that time frame. I Plan
on attending. If so, I would like to attend your BBQ. I would even bring some eastern North Carolina BBQ for you to sample.
I would be flying commercial ..gasp!
Can you supply info on where I might check out a rental (C-152,C-172, Pa 28-160 Pa28-180 are the only planes I have flown... well I have some PA 12 time, but no tailwheel endorsement... yet.

While that would be an excellent idea, this year, I'm gonna be a launch director (hopefully) at the Balloon Fiesta, (aka Zebra) so the likelihood is that I will have no freetime that is not spent sleeping.

I'll look around for you for a rental. I strongly suggest avoiding Bode Aero at Double Eagle. They are overpriced and horrible at customer service (but getting better), and they have bought out their competition. Besides the Kirtland Air Force Base Aero Club, I do not know of any rentals at the Sunport, but I'll look for ya.

Last edited:
gprellwitz said:
I just crunched some numbers, and I don't think I'll be able to make it. Over $1500 in rental fees, two days vacation (which is already spoken for), and the real possibility of getting stuck by icing or instrument weather (though I expect to have the instrument ticket by then). I notice that the obstacle departure plate has 14000 foot minimums. I have no O2.

Sharing is good. :yes:

I don't think we'll need to worry much about having to depart into IMC down there. :no:

Hmmm, call it 14 hours round trip in the 182 at $119/hr (or less if fuel prices drop)... $1666 for the plane. A mere $416.50 each! :yes: Or, they do have a Lance for rent at RYV. Or if I have the multi by then, the Seneca would certainly calm our weather fears a bit.

I'm tryin'!

flyingcheesehead said:
Sharing is good. :yes:

I don't think we'll need to worry much about having to depart into IMC down there. :no:

Hmmm, call it 14 hours round trip in the 182 at $119/hr (or less if fuel prices drop)... $1666 for the plane. A mere $416.50 each! :yes: Or, they do have a Lance for rent at RYV. Or if I have the multi by then, the Seneca would certainly calm our weather fears a bit.

I'm tryin'!

About the same for me - $1700 in rental fees...

I just need to buy a plane....

AdamZ said:
hmmmm. I guess I could fly to ABQ on SWA if you can fly me there and back? I'll check with the CAB

Maybe we can work something out there, Adam. We'll see as time gets closer, but I'd be happy to ferry you up, party you out and then ferry you home :D

Nick,
I would be happy to attend, I could also stop by ABQ and pick up anyone who might need a lift. I will keep in touch as time gets closer.
Don

AdamZ said:

Or, depending upon "stuff," maybe you fly from Dallas...

I plan on attending. I will have at least one seat open for someone. So if you get your butt to ABQ or equal I can bring you to Nick's Fly-In. Adam, Dave, you have no excuse not to attend.

I just got off the phone with an employee at Ross Aviation, and he gave me some information to pass on. First off, I am waiting for a call from the airport manager for logistics information and possible fuel discount.

The weather in October is usually really good, he says, unless we get an early winter, in which case, there may be snow. He says there is a pretty big ramp we may be able to get ahold of for BBQing, but I need to wait for the manager to call me back.

There are two hotels nearby - The Elk Lodge and the Angel Fire Resort. I am waiting on a return call about possible group rates at the Angel Fire Resort, but if that becomes impossible, here are the rates:

Standard Hotel Room, Accomodates 4 people. Two queen size beds, small refrigerator, 4 cup coffee maker. $99

Hotel Deluxe, Accomodates 4 people. Two queen size beds, small refrigerator, 4 cup coffee maker, large seating area, iron and ironing board, blow dryer and 2 guest robes. $119

Hotel Bedroom - King, Hotel bedroom with one king sized bed, 4 cup coffee maker and small refrigerator. $119

1 Bedroom Condo, Accomodates 4 people. One bedroom plus a sleeper sofa, one full bath, fully equipped kitchen, living room and fireplace. $120

2 Bedroom Condo, Accomodates 6 people. Two bedrooms plus a sleeper sofa, two baths, fully equipped kitchen, living room and fireplace. $140

Studio Condo, Accomodates 2 people. Bedroom, living room and fully equipped kitchen together, one bath and fireplace. $100.

Elk Lodge pricing is unavailable as of yet, since I can't find them anywhere. The search continues.

Just got a call back from the Angel Fire Resort. Here's what we're looking at.

If we can get at least 5 rooms, we qualify for a group discount. It'd be $79 a night for a room with 2 queen size beds. I can block off a chunk of rooms, and y'all can call and claim them if that's how we want to do it. Got another confirmation of what should be great weather in October.

I'll be posting that flyer and probably the POA flyer (why not, I've been forgetting) at the rest of the airports in NM as I hit them. Hopefully we'll drum up some people.

Last edited:
Back