The End of Flying Stories and Asking Questions online

Joe, I'm probably clueless (a constant state for me), but I had no idea this thread was about you. Knowing Dave as well as I do, I don't think he was aiming this at you, but at a cumulative group of people and threads over time.
Dianai - you don't need to help me here, I'm fine. But I do appreciate it.

Believe or not this is not the first time I've been referred to that way.

I think (may be I'm just a sensitive guy) that I was the first one to respond in the thread that fomented this one.

If I should not respond to a post that I find some what ....ugh... pushing the limits, I won't unless I just can't keep my mouth shut.

Sorry people, that happens.

Joe

Well, I've met Joe, and I also don't think this thread was directed at him. I know just for my 2 cents, I would never incite Joe, like I said - I've met him, and he could pummel me. :dunno: (enjoy your honeymoon, you lucky sod!)

There are, however others on this board who seem to have the stick so far pushed up, that it's visible on a dental exam. I'm about the only one who posts about my lack of flying ability, my own interpretation of the rules, and doing things that are not strictly on the up and up.

Frankly, I don't mind being picked apart some. It's a good ego moment for others, and I can afford it, as I've got waaaaay too much ego anyway. Also, it gives the pilots coming here for information the impression that anything you do that is juuuuuuust a bit out of the ordinary will be met with scorn, derision, and a suspension of untold length. That's prolly a good thing, for these noob flyers, so that they come away with a healthy respect for the AIM and FARs.

Where I loose my patience occasionally, is the short, useless flip, or snide comment that is meant to prove some kind of 'one-upmanship' on the internet. Typically I will serve these up, in an effort to cut down on the dopey chatter. Doubt I'll have much success, but it's my lot in life. :cheerswine:

Hey Joe,.. my rant wasn't directed at you at all.. but perhaps I just haven't read enough of your posts...! ha.

I think it's interesting that I have complained about the know-it-alls and FAR thumpers,.. I have also posted anonymously to sections telling others that they should "chill out" on certain issues...

.. yet I'm one of only two that spoke up about a poster that had multiple landing accidents and was questioning flying. While the group felt that he should "stick with it", I suggested that perhaps he should avoid being another NTSB report... even though it sucked to say it.

I guess it just goes to show the the many opinions and individuality of all members are valuable. I would certainly rather hear from both sides on an issue rather than just one.

It's ok to disagree... well.. unless you are disagreeing with me.

As one of the people that used the term "*******", I REALLY want to make it CLEAR that I did NOT have Joe in mind when I brought the rule up! :no: And if this thread was about him, it went right over my head (which is probably why I'm bald, from stuff going right over my head... :redface: ).

But I surely didn't mean anything towards Joe!!! :eek: :no:

And happy honeymoon, you two! :)

As one of the people that used the term "*******", I REALLY want to make it CLEAR that I did NOT have Joe in mind when I brought the rule up! :no: And if this thread was about him, it went right over my head (which is probably why I'm bald, from stuff going right over my head... :redface: ).
I didn't think it was about Joe either. :dunno:

And happy honeymoon, you two! :)
Well, hopefully they will be here at the farm tomorrow. Can't wait to see them again.:cheerswine:

If someone asks about the legality or wisdom of doing something, that's a good thing, and folks should answer kindly, factually, and intelligently. If someone says, "Hey, I did this thing, ain't it great?" and what they did is illegal and/or unwise, it's hard to let it pass without commenting on the illegality or stupidity of the action, lest someone without the training or experience to understand the action's illegality or stupidity decide to follow suit. If the statement had been made in a private setting, it would be easy to quietly counsel the individual, but when made in public, it leaves little choice but to make the countering comment also in public.

I agree, Ron. And if I was the one that posted the foolish behavior, the three ******* rule would come into effect: first person that smacks me, well, obviously there's something wrong with that guy! Ditto for the second person! Sheesh, they're everywhere!

But when the third person stands up and says, "What the hell were you thinking???", I've gotta think that maybe it's me that's in the wrong... That's why we need people to stand up and say what they think.

Tonight, I sat in on a little session between a fellow instructor and a student who has flown with me and everyone else. Basically, the student turned out to be much heavier than the 150 pounds I had suspected. Upon our first flight, I quickly informed him it would be our last in the C-150.

He then began flying with every other instructor who would go up with him in a plane just because it was cheaper to fly. Well, along comes a very new instructor who is also a former L-1011 and 757 captain. He sat the student down and discussed what was safe then they discussed what was legal.

After that half-hour ground session, they went out and burned just enough fuel (about ten pounds) during taxi to make them legal. Then, they had a serious lesson on DA and the effects on flying an airplane at legal but maximum weight in such circumstances.

He could fly with whoever was willing while legal, spend forever climbing out and lose a ton of time before they get to any altitude worthwhile for practice. Or, he could stick with one instructor who was light enough for the circumstances, get past solo then reconsider the matter in the Skyhawk. Either way, no one was willing to continue playing the game of switching around CFIs where both the CFI and the student lose on the situation.

Of course, this was on top of all of us CFIs continuing the tradition of "Skin, Tin & Ticket." The 757 captain had the most to lose and he drilled it home for the rest of us. The bottom line... it was done without criticism and by some teaching while using the rules established by God and/or Government with regard to flying; either of which may come back to bite you if you toy with them long enough. The student made his own decision in the end; a good one at that.

I figure to learn something from every post read as well as those written, whether it's info about the subject, its poster, legalities or otherwise. However things are written by a person just gives more overall info. Most CFIs are used to having every statement grilled & picked apart as it's also part of learning and life, and therefore useful.

This thread, case in point......

I didn't read this as Dave pointing anyone out, yet there are folks that think they were pointed out.

This is why I prefer face-face meetings to email or phone. And why my posterier has gained the shape of an airline seat.

Bill, can we *please* leave your seat-shape out of this? ;)

===

Too many folks, on-line and in life, are in a big hurry to have their precious feelings hurt. I operate on the "real simple" philosophy, which is to say, "I am real simple... if someone is going to insult me, they have to say it really clearly."

Concurrently, if I want to insult someone (and I cannot imagine why I'd feel the need, but that's a whole 'nother discussion), I'll be very direct about it; if you have to think about it and apply a particular interpretation to derive insult, then you are inventing something which simply ain't there.

Bill, can we *please* leave your seat-shape out of this? ;)

===

Too many folks, on-line and in life, are in a big hurry to have their precious feelings hurt. I operate on the "real simple" philosophy, which is to say, "I am real simple... if someone is going to insult me, they have to say it really clearly."

Concurrently, if I want to insult someone (and I cannot imagine why I'd feel the need, but that's a whole 'nother discussion), I'll be very direct about it; if you have to think about it and apply a particular interpretation to derive insult, then you are inventing something which simply ain't there.

I'm with you. I always try to regard any comments in the most positive light possible. Heck if I were looking under the covers of every statement made to me (online or in person) for some "implied criticism" I'd probably be a nervous insecure wreck.

Heck if I were looking under the covers of every statement made to me (online or in person) for some "implied criticism" I'd probably be a nervous insecure wreck.

Hey, was that directed at me?! ;) j/k :D

Back