The end of an era...

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
It is with a little sadness that I have decided to sell my remaining share in the Archer. My wife pretty much made the decision for me when she discovered she likes flying around in helicopters a whole lot more than in airplanes. Since I enjoy flying helicopters a whole lot more than airplanes, it's kind of a no-brainer.

But it really is like the end of an era. Of course, if it ever looks like I can't pass a medical, it'll be an LSA in my future, I suppose. Which will start a new era as well!

In any case, I plan to still hang out here even after my fixed-wing days are over. After all, this board needs at least one curmudgeonly rotorhead!

So besides following my rotorcraft passion, there's another tidbit of amusing news (amusing to some of us, anyway). The runway here at N99 is going to be resurfaced mid-October. The airport manager is a fellow rotorhead and tells me that the NOTAM will close the airport to fixed-wing traffic :D

So us rotorheads are still gonna be in business!

:heli:

wesleyj said:
fixed wing can still use the taxiway, thats what we did while the main runway was out of the ground at Goshen
I think I heard that the FAA already said no to that...

AdamZ said:
Bob are ya gonna rent to maintain currency in Fixed wing?
Probably not, Adam, I really don't enjoy fixed-wing anymore. The exception might be if I had access to a PA18 or Husky or something similar.

Put that fixed wing on a nice set of floats, now yer talking...

Bob,

Did John give you a date and how long it will be closed? Do I need to move the plane to Wings? lol

Bob

rmciottijr said:
Bob,

Did John give you a date and how long it will be closed? Do I need to move the plane to Wings? lol

Bob
Bob -

Here's what went out from John:

To all:

Here is what you all have been waiting for.

October 16 we will commence the runway resurfacing. So, Monday to Friday we will be closed; however, if the weather is good, the first phase should be
completed by Wednesday.

Open for the weekend. Friday - Sunday night.

Closed again Monday the 23rd for the remainder of the week. Once again, if
the weather is good the runway should be open Thursday or Friday.

Thanks for your cooperation .

John

Bob,

I haven't been up at the school renting since last wednesday so news to me. Thanks for passing that info along. Will N99 extend beyond 50' wide ? I understand there is no room to expand length.

GMascelli said:
Bob,

I haven't been up at the school renting since last wednesday so news to me. Thanks for passing that info along. Will N99 extend beyond 50' wide ? I understand there is no room to expand length.
I don't think it is being widened, Gary, although that is supposed to happen in a couple of years. My understanding is that when the widening occurs, the runway will also be regraded.

RotaryWingBob said:
Bob -

Here's what went out from John:

To all:

Here is what you all have been waiting for.

October 16 we will commence the runway resurfacing. So, Monday to Friday we will be closed; however, if the weather is good, the first phase should be
completed by Wednesday.

Open for the weekend. Friday - Sunday night.

Closed again Monday the 23rd for the remainder of the week. Once again, if
the weather is good the runway should be open Thursday or Friday.

Thanks for your cooperation .

John

The airport I am based at resurfaced last year and the widened the runway this year. Botht ime we were promised a week, M-F, if the weather held. In both case WX and other things caused delays. Be prepared relocate for the week if you have to fly.

I never seen that Bob humm I guess I don't rate unless they are collecting a finance charge that I never new they did until Sun.

Bob

Bob,

Flying is flying. No worries, you can always rent if you ever want to fly fixed wing again.

Anthony said:
Bob,

Flying is flying. No worries, you can always rent if you ever want to fly fixed wing again.
So true, Anthony.

Here's an irony for you. At 11 this morning an old friend is meeting me at N99, and we're going to fly the 44 up to Butter Valley for lunch, then west along the ridges, then southwest to McGinnis, then over to Shoestring (0P2 -- bet nobody has been there), then back home.

The irony is that this is the guy who gave me my intro lesson in a Warrior, and then somehow got me through my PP-ASEL checkride ;)

RotaryWingBob said:
So true, Anthony.

Here's an irony for you. At 11 this morning an old friend is meeting me at N99, and we're going to fly the 44 up to Butter Valley for lunch, then west along the ridges, then southwest to McGinnis, then over to Shoestring (0P2 -- bet nobody has been there), then back home.

The irony is that this is the guy who gave me my intro lesson in a Warrior, and then somehow got me through my PP-ASEL checkride ;)

Ha! Maybe he'll go roto. Helicopters are a totally different flying experience. You really "feel" like your flying due to the visual references at the lower altitudes. I felt like I ws on an amusement ride the entire time I flew with you. It was a BLAST! If I didn't want to use the plane for transportation and I wanted to be poorer, I'd go rotary also.

Back