The End of an Era

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
After 12 years on the line as our hotel courtesy van, today we traded "The Behemoth" (a 1995 E-150) in.

10464236_710199242349306_9074583150751179857_n.jpg

Since 2002, that van has been used by hundreds (thousands?) of pilots who have stayed at our aviation themed hotels in Iowa and Texas, and needed a vehicle to use after flying in. It was 6,000 pounds of honest American steel that never let us down.

It was getting a wee bit scary to drive, though. About a year ago, I forbade it from being used off-island, simply because I made the mistake of looking at the frame and suspension components. Suffice it to say that 15 years of Iowa winters, followed by 4 years of island salt, had taken its toll, and I was afraid of something catastrophic failing on a rough road! Still, it worked great to get from the airport to the hotel, so long as pilots remembered little things (like not leaving the lights on!).

Then, the brakes went out. The brake lines had corroded all the way from front to back, and had to be replaced. Just this morning, I paid $200 to fix power steering lines that were completely gone.

So...it was time to say farewell. :(

But all is not lost. In its place you will now find our Lexus ES300 for your convenience, a mighty fine automobile that has served Mary and me well for the last 10 years. It's still the quietest vehicle I've ever driven, even with 120K miles on it, and will certainly rank as one of the nicest courtesy cars around!

To my knowledge, we are still the only hotel in America with a courtesy car for pilots to use. I am happy to report that we NEVER had to add gas to the van, in 4+ years on the island, thanks to y'all being kind enough to replace whatever you used! :yesnod:

Did you have to scare me like this? I thought Alexis Inn was closing!

Did you have to scare me like this? I thought Alexis Inn was closing!

Um, Alexis Park Inn closed in 2012. (Well, more accurately, we sold it to folks who have converted it into an extended-stay hotel, with no aviation theme.)

Amelia's Landing Hotel is thriving, however! We just finished another record month, and July has been INSANE! :D

can you please open up a sister hotel in north myrtle beach, sc? thanks!

That is sad. A good vehicle becomes part of the family. Sad day when they are put down. :lol:

Is this an Astro-Van? My family had one back in the day....... nostalgia.

To my knowledge, we are still the only hotel in America with a courtesy car for pilots to use. I am happy to report that we NEVER had to add gas to the van, in 4+ years on the island, thanks to y'all being kind enough to replace whatever you used! :yesnod:

The Inn of the Lost Coast in Shelter Cove, CA has a courtesy van specifically for pilots, but I agree it is an usually rare and generous service.

The Inn of the Lost Coast in Shelter Cove, CA has a courtesy van specifically for pilots, but I agree it is an usually rare and generous service.
Cool! Thanks for that info.

I have always wanted to start a network of hotels and inns that truly cater to the fly-in guest. Maybe I will drop them a line.

That is sad. A good vehicle becomes part of the family. Sad day when they are put down. :lol:
Its amazing how long that van lasted, in the harshest conditions imaginable.

Think about it -- I was a young man of 39 or 40 when I bought it for use in one of my other businesses. I'm gonna be 56 this year!

That's a loooong time to use and abuse any vehicle. Ford built it right.

If it withstood the abuse heaped upon it by pilots ,that was one fine van.

If it withstood the abuse heaped upon it by pilots ,that was one fine van.

In our pilot guest's defense -- we never have had to add gas to that van.

I told that to the guy who owns Southern Flyer Restaurant (the poodle-skirt-girls!), in Brenham, and he was amazed. He said the pilots who use his car NEVER put gas in it!

We obviously attract a higher caliber pilot. :goofy: :lol: :lol:

In our pilot guest's defense -- we never have had to add gas to that van.

I told that to the guy who owns Southern Flyer Restaurant (the poodle-skirt-girls!), in Brenham, and he was amazed. He said the pilots who use his car NEVER put gas in it!

We obviously attract a higher caliber pilot. :goofy: :lol: :lol:

Jack would complain the ink is not dry enough if you GIFTED him a new $100 bill. :lol:

Iowa winters can be extremely hard or vehicles.

I put 250k miles on my 1987 Chevy Celebrity and then gave it to my son in Austin, who put another 25k on it. It was in decent mechanical shape but the body was a rust bucket.

Iowa winters can be extremely hard or vehicles.

I put 250k miles on my 1987 Chevy Celebrity and then gave it to my son in Austin, who put another 25k on it. It was in decent mechanical shape but the body was a rust bucket.

There are steel members on the bottom of an E-150 that are as big around as my upper arm, that were corroded down to the size of my wrist. Nothing like a 15 year underbody flush of salty slush to destroy a nice van.

Then, parking it outside here in the salt air started to destroy the TOP of the vehicle. So...it was time to say goodbye.

Still, it ran well, and could haul a butt-load of people. I figure by this time next week it will be in Progresso, hauling people across the border. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, THAT one! lol

We've had a few other crazy courtesy car incidents since then, although nothing approaching THAT debacle. Thank goodness.

We did have one just a few weeks ago, though. The old van wasn't up to the trip to the USS Lexington, per my fears of mechanical breakdown, and this pilot and his family had no way to visit that iconic ship just 30 miles away. They had come a long ways, so we let them use our personal car, just because we felt sorry for them.

Nine hours later, they returned. They were very thankful. Gushing, even. But did they top off the gas tank? :mad2:

I guess they thought we were rich pilots... :lol: :lol: :lol:

But all is not lost. In its place you will now find our Lexus ES300 for your convenience, a mighty fine automobile that has served Mary and me well for the last 10 years. It's still the quietest vehicle I've ever driven, even with 120K miles on it, and will certainly rank as one of the nicest courtesy cars around!

Don't get too excited, Million Air uses brand new BMW's and Mercedes Benz's as their courtesy cars.

Oh, THAT one! lol

We've had a few other crazy courtesy car incidents since then, although nothing approaching THAT debacle. Thank goodness.

Wow. I read that entire thread and you can plainly see the East coast / West coast Mason-Dixon line mentalities and their sense of entitlements. :nonod:

I would have slashed the GD tires and keyed the car.

Oh, wait a minute .... :lol:

Back