The end of an era for me.

Arnold

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Arnold
I am very pleased to report that just today, after 10 years (this case started on March 24, 2001), the final two green cards have been approved in my international human trafficking case. In all we got green cards for 36 people (about 50% of them principal victims and 50% of them spouses, children and parents - collectively known as derivative beneficiaries) where the principals had been trafficked into Am. Samoa and then held as slaves. All of these victims were in debt to traffickers in their home country, Vietnam, and the traffickers were in league with the communist government. Not only were we able to rescue the 18 principal victims, but we got their wives, children and for those under 21 their parents out of the danger they faced in Vietnam due to the debts. Their captivity entailed all the usual deprivations that accompany slavery; beatings, death, maiming, starvation and confinement. The perpetrator was an US Citizen who was sentenced to 40 years in federal prison.

I guess it is time to find a new pro bono opportunity.

The perpetrator was an US Citizen who was sentenced to 40 years in federal prison.

Hopefully a federal "Pound-me-in-the-ass" prison.

Good work, Arnold.

I am very pleased to report that just today, after 10 years (this case started on March 24, 2001), the final two green cards have been approved in my international human trafficking case. In all we got green cards for 36 people (about 50% of them principal victims and 50% of them spouses, children and parents - collectively known as derivative beneficiaries) where the principals had been trafficked into Am. Samoa and then held as slaves. All of these victims were in debt to traffickers in their home country, Vietnam, and the traffickers were in league with the communist government. Not only were we able to rescue the 18 principal victims, but we got their wives, children and for those under 21 their parents out of the danger they faced in Vietnam due to the debts. Their captivity entailed all the usual deprivations that accompany slavery; beatings, death, maiming, starvation and confinement. The perpetrator was an US Citizen who was sentenced to 40 years in federal prison.

Well done, sir!!! :cheerswine:

Good work, Arnold.
Now 40 years means he'll be out in eight to do it again. Sigh.

That's great news, Arnold. Good for you! :thumbsup:

Good work, Arnold.

I thought times are pretty firm in the fed system these days.

And Arnold, thanks for the good work. There should be a way to get paid for the work out of the proceeds of the criminal enterprise.

B Z

Apparently what they say about Philadelphia lawyers isn't all true! ;)

Good job.

First, good work!

I hope you get to stay in touch with some of the families. Talk about making a difference for someone. :yes:

Good work, Arnold.

Second, if this were the average state system, you'd be absolutely correct. But, in the Federal system, parole was abolished in 1984 (part of the Comprehensive Crime Control Act).

These days, you're serving the sentence you're given - reduced only by good time credits and credit for time served awaiting trial/conviction. After the first year of your Federal sentence, you get ~50 days credit/year, for "exemplary behavior," which I think is the term used in the law.

On a 40 year sentence (leaving out time already served), you're going to get roughly at absolute best 5 years good time credit (assuming you behave yourself).

Now, compare that to, say, Maryland's correctional system. You can get better than day-for-day credit, up to 20 days per month. You get credit for good behavior, for working in the prison, for taking advantage of educational opportunities. In other words, for doing everything you should be doing when you're in prison, you can have up to 2/3 of your sentence simply evaporate.

Want to talk about smoke and mirrors, look no further than state sentencing law. "We're tough on crime...until you're actually convicted of one."

But the Feds. You don't eff with the Feds. They've got something like a 95% conviction rate (which is exactly what it should be in a system where the prosecutor has absolute discretion as to what does, and does not, get charged); and you're going to the big house when you get a sentence to the big house (probation in lieu of incarceration remains an option).

First, good work!

I hope you get to stay in touch with some of the families. Talk about making a difference for someone. :yes:

They are slowly slipping away from me. Some have remained nearby, others have moved. Some are friends, most are clients. I get invites to weddings and I attend when I can. Some of the derivatives have gone back to Vietnam, mostly the older folks who want to die at home. They are pre-occupied with their lives and I with mine. When it is time to apply for citizenship I'll be back in touch with each one.

Thank you for your kind words.

Last edited:
These days, you're serving the sentence you're given - reduced only by good time credits and credit for time served awaiting trial/conviction. After the first year of your Federal sentence, you get ~50 days credit/year, for "exemplary behavior," which I think is the term used in the law.

The only other meaningful way I know of to reduce your time in the Federal system is to go through RDAP, which is their drug treatment program. But that's not available to violent offenders, either.

B Z

Apparently what they say about Philadelphia lawyers isn't all true! ;)

Most of the lawyers I know are pretty decent folks. Adam Zucker and his partner are top notch. I can be friends with most of them. I've only met a couple of true pigs since I've been lawyering, pretty much evenly split between my side and the other side.

Outstanding job. This is the kind of stuff that renews one's faith in lawyers. I hope the perp is old enough that 40 years = life.

Now, compare that to, say, Maryland's correctional system. You can get better than day-for-day credit, up to 20 days per month. You get credit for good behavior, for working in the prison, for taking advantage of educational opportunities. In other words, for doing everything you should be doing when you're in prison, you can have up to 2/3 of your sentence simply evaporate.

Add to that the practice of putting everyone on work-relase (so they dont have rights to county paid healthcare) and you have to try pretty hard to spend significant time in the clink (that assumes that you got time to start with, the local preference of the state attorney seems to be to turn everything into 'nole prosequi' after a generous payment to a police associated charity ;) . )

Outstanding job. This is the kind of stuff that renews one's faith in lawyers. I hope the perp is old enough that 40 years = life.

Well the DOJ did a good job getting the conviction and was very helpful to the victims.

News reports at the time of the arrest put his age at 40, so assuming credit for the pre conviction incarceration he should be 80 when released or a few years younger if he gets credit for behaving himself.

Quite the accomplishment! Good for you!! The wheels of Justice do seem to turn slowly.

Gary

Thank you for your kind words.

They're well-earned. Speaking for myself, it's not that often I get to say, "I did something today that actually made a positive difference for somebody." But I'd say that helping those people out more than qualifies.

So, to repeat myself, good work and well done!

Back