The End of a Logbook

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
With this past week's mega-jaunt across the country and back in the 310, my first logbook is officially full. It worked out nicely that this long trip was the final one to go in, going out on a bang so to speak.

In those pages include 2119.8 hours total time, 1299 landings, 253 instrument approaches, 302 hours actual instrument, somewhere north of 250 hours night, and landings in 4 countries, 7 time zones, almost 2000 homeless pets saved.

Many stories, many memories, and lots of AvGas.

I guess now it's time to write the book.

300 hours of actual, in 2200 total? That in itself I'd impressive. You must not live in Kansas.

Great ,hope you had some fun in that time.

300 hours of actual, in 2200 total? That in itself I'd impressive. You must not live in Kansas.

I used to live in Pennsylvania, and look forward to long days with lots of hours in the clouds. On this past trip I had a bunch of cloud time. :)

I used to live in Pennsylvania, and look forward to long days with lots of hours in the clouds. On this past trip I had a bunch of cloud time. :)

Ours are few and far between

Congrats!
What is the date of the first hour?

Nice!!! I keep my logbooks on a shelf in our office and occasionally flip through them. It is amazing how easily the memories come back.

Nice job, ted! I'm on my third book but with about 500 less hours...you must have the jumbo version. ;)

In those pages include 2119.8 hours total time, 1299 landings, 253 instrument approaches, 302 hours actual instrument, somewhere north of 250 hours night, and landings in 4 countries, 7 time zones, almost 2000 homeless pets saved..

There is a logbook entry for that :D

Good job by the way.

On my second (but I lost the original @about 200 hours and a few decades ago). :D

Cheers

Last edited:
With this past week's mega-jaunt across the country and back in the 310, my first logbook is officially full. It worked out nicely that this long trip was the final one to go in, going out on a bang so to speak.

In those pages include 2119.8 hours total time, 1299 landings, 253 instrument approaches, 302 hours actual instrument, somewhere north of 250 hours night, and landings in 4 countries, 7 time zones, almost 2000 homeless pets saved.

Many stories, many memories, and lots of AvGas.

I guess now it's time to write the book.

Must be a wonderful feeling!

I just finished entering 3 1/2 log books covering 30 years and 8800 hours of flights into Log Book Pro. While it was a daunting task, it was fun to look back. Amazing how some flights I remember like it was yesterday, while others I look at and think "who's plane was that?"

Last edited:
My CFI started my log book in a "Cessna Flight Center" log book just to **** me off. He knew I would never fly I certified plane again, so he gave me that log book to rub it in. :mad:

:lol:

Congrats Ted! I will be flying so make sure your new book has a "talking book " version so I can listen to it.

Last edited:
I just realized that by hitting 8800 hours, when people ask me how long have been flying, I can say "about a year". (Do the math)

Congratulations Ted! My first log book didn't even make it to 1000 hours. Of course, my flights are a LOT shorter than yours! ;)

Congrats!
What is the date of the first hour?

September 7th, 2007

Nice job, ted! I'm on my third book but with about 500 less hours...you must have the jumbo version. ;)

I just had very high-hour pages. In a page that held 7 or 8 entries, it wasn't uncommon for me to have 40 hours. With all of my long trips and very few short ones, it added up fast!

Congrats Ted! I will be flying so make sure your new book has a "talking book " version so I can listen to it.

Good idea! I wonder who should read it.

I'm something like 60-70 pages into writing it.

Congratulations Ted! My first log book didn't even make it to 1000 hours. Of course, my flights are a LOT shorter than yours! ;)
I don't think I even made it to 200 hours but my first logbook was one of those starter ones that are about 1/4 inch thick. After that one was filled a friend bought me a much larger one as a gift which, at first was a little discouraging because I imagined I would never fill it.

I don't think I even made it to 200 hours but my first logbook was one of those starter ones that are about 1/4 inch thick. After that one was filled a friend bought me a much larger one as a gift which, at first was a little discouraging because I imagined I would never fill it.

I'm probably going to get one of the "Professional" logbooks for my next one, but I've told Laurie that will probably last me the next 50 years.

I suppose in the end, we all have logbooks we don't fill.

I'm probably going to get one of the "Professional" logbooks for my next one, but I've told Laurie that will probably last me the next 50 years.

I have three. The first is one of those tiny things and I stopped using it to go to a bigger one with more columns.

The second was an AOPA Air Safety Foundation one. It literally fell out of the binding one day and is an utter POS. Loved the layout of the pages but apparently whoever designed it didn't think "decades" when they chose the binding type.

When I went to NE to do the Instrument I ordered up one of those massive Jepp pro ones. Maybe it'll survive. It rarely leaves the house anymore, so probably.

The others rode around in too many flight bags back when I didn't know that was dumb. :)

I have three. The first is one of those tiny things and I stopped using it to go to a bigger one with more columns.

The second was an AOPA Air Safety Foundation one. It literally fell out of the binding one day and is an utter POS. Loved the layout of the pages but apparently whoever designed it didn't think "decades" when they chose the binding type.

When I went to NE to do the Instrument I ordered up one of those massive Jepp pro ones. Maybe it'll survive. It rarely leaves the house anymore, so probably.

The others rode around in too many flight bags back when I didn't know that was dumb. :)

I haven't taken my logbook to the airport in years, it sits in my safe and only comes out to get filled. I'm actually happy that this one is done if for no other reason than it can stay in the safe and not risk getting lost or damaged when I do need to take it out.

Sept 2007

WOW that is a lot of hours per year!!!

You are a lucky guy to get to fly that much!

That's definitely true. I probably won't fill the current one since it's fairly big and I'm only halfway through. But for various reasons, including being much older, I don't think about it anymore except to remember how silly I was when I was young.

Congrats, always fun to go over some of your old flights. A book of memories who could ask for more.

I haven't taken my logbook to the airport in years, it sits in my safe and only comes out to get filled. I'm actually happy that this one is done if for no other reason than it can stay in the safe and not risk getting lost or damaged when I do need to take it out.

Damn it. Something else to put in the safe. Ha. Never thought of putting the logbooks in there.

Stupid thing is filling up. I may need to get rid of some guns.

Haha. Wait. No. :)

I keep thinking of things to put in the safe(s) though. Maybe time for another safe.

If the damn endorsements weren't scattered across all three, I'd just go put #1 and #2 in the safety deposit box. :)

Nate, we had the same problem with the safe filling up.

So we bought a second safe. :)

I'm already at two!

There's room for a third, I suppose. ;)

Friends who had (past tense) this problem just built a vault into their new workshop/barn/garage. :) :) :)

Vaults have different problems to solve over safes. He and I were chatting at a party about how he controls humidity and temperature. Seal up a room and it's going to have problems with both.

I also asked him if he had any thoughts about flooding. There's nothing so sealed that water can't get in.

Always something. First world problems. :)

I'm using LogTenPro, so it looks as if I will never have these types of hard records to go back and look on across the years.

I just log 3 T&G's every 90 days and 3 Full stops for night currency... Been doin that for 28 years... God only know how many hours I actually have..:dunno::dunno::confused:..

Probably close to 5 grand or so...:rolleyes:

I just log 3 T&G's every 90 days and 3 Full stops for night currency... Been doin that for 28 years... God only know how many hours I actually have..:dunno::dunno::confused:..

Probably close to 5 grand or so...:rolleyes:

Your insurance company doesn't ask for annual numbers? Ours does. Last thing I'd want is some dumbass lawyer helping the insurance company deny a claim because their little form wasn't accurately filled out. LOL...

Back