The Drive to the Airport IS more dangerous than flying

Check out this Schlock Mercenary strip for an example...

That strip is derived from pretty much every Infantry-Armor Combined arms exercise.

Infantry companies usually detach a platoon of infantry to a Tank company, with the thank platoon joining the infantry company.

"Slow down -- we're outrunning the crunchies" is probably the phrase most often heard on company freq.

Last edited:
pete, just make sure that the next ride can pull that trailer!

Sorry I learned my miltiaryisms by actually serving, not reading comic books. Since I was not in the Army but a far superior branch of the service it is a new to me term.

:D

I served 10 years in the Air Force before transferring to the US Army.

An Airline with bombs is hardly the superior service.

I served 10 years in the Air Force before transferring to the US Army.
Why the down grade, get tired of the "Great Way of Life" Had to go be an "Army of One"? ;)

A Soldier, Sailor, Airman and Marine got into an argument as to which service was “the best.” The arguing became so intense the four servicemen failed to see an oncoming truck.

They were struck and killed instantly.

Soon the servicemen found themselves at the Pearly Gates where they met St. Peter. They decided only he could be the ultimate source of truth and honesty. So, the four asked him, “St. Peter, which branch of the United States Armed Forces is the best?” After a few moments he replied that he could not answer that and would have to kick it up to God for an answer the next time he saw Him. Meanwhile, thank you for your service on earth and welcome to Heaven..

Sometime later the four see St. Peter and remind him of the question they had asked when first entering Heaven. Suddenly a sparkling white dove lands on St. Peter’s shoulder. there is a note, glistening with gold dust, in the dove’s beak. “This must be the answer from the Boss, let’s see what it says.”
He opens the note, trumpets blare, gold dust drifts into the air, harps play crescendos, and St. Peter reads aloud to the servicemen.

MEMORANDUM: FROM THE DESK OF THE ALMIGHTY.
TO: Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines.
SUBJ: WHICH MILITARY SERVICE IS BEST.

Gentlemen, all branches of the United States Armed Forces are honorable and noble. Each serves America well and with distinction. Being servicemen in the United States Military represents a special calling warranting special respect, tribute and dedication. Be proud of that.

Sincerely,
GOD, USAF (Ret)

Last edited:
There's an Air Force guy driving from McChord to Ft Lewis, and an Army guy driving from Ft Lewis to McChord. In the middle of the night with no other cars on the road they hit each other head on and both cars go flying off in different directions. The Air Force guy manages to climb out of his car and surveys the damage. He looks at his twisted car and says,....."Man, I am really lucky to be alive!"
Likewise the Army guy scrambles out of his car and looks at his wreckage. He too says to himself, ..... "I can't believe I survived this wreck!"
The Army guy walks over to the Air Force guy and says,...... "Hey man, I think this is a sign from God that we should put away our petty differences and live as friends instead of archrivals"
The Air Force guy thinks for a moment and says, ...... "You know, you're absolutely right! We should be friends. Now I'm gonna see what else survived this wreck"
So the Air Force guy pops open his trunk and finds a full, unopened bottle of Jack Daniels.
He says to the Army guy, "I think this is another sign from God that we should toast to our new found understanding and friendship"
The Army guy replies, "You're damn right!" and he grabs the bottle and starts sucking down Jack Daniels. After putting away nearly half the bottle the Army guy hands it back to the Air Force guy and says, "Your turn!"
The Air Force guy twists the cap back on the bottle and says, "Nahh, I think I'll wait for the cops to show up."

Why the down grade, get tired of the "Great Way of Life" Had to go be an "Army of One"? ;)

Air Force vs. Army Stress Reduction Programs

Stop Denying
AIR FORCE VIEW: Listen to the wisdom of your body. Begin to freely admit the stresses and pressures which you have manifested physically, mentally, or emotionally. Meditate even more frequently.
ARMY VIEW: Work until the physical pain forces you into unconsciousness, then you can't hear your body.

Avoid Isolation
AIR FORCE VIEW: Don't do everything alone! Develop or renew intimacies with friends and loved ones. Closeness not only brings new insights, but also is anathema to agitation and depression.
ARMY VIEW: Shut your office door and lock it from the inside so no one will distract you. They're just trying to hurt your productivity.

Change Your Circumstances
AIR FORCE VIEW: If your job, your relationship, a situation, or a person is dragging you under, try to alter your circumstance, or if necessary, leave.
ARMY VIEW: If you feel something is dragging you down, suppress these thoughts. This is a weakness. Drink more coffee.

Diminish Intensity In Your Life
AIR FORCE VIEW: Pinpoint those areas or aspects which summon up the most concentrated intensity and work toward alleviating that pressure.
ARMY VIEW: Increase intensity. Maximum intensity = maximum productivity. If you find yourself relaxed and with your mind wandering, you are probably having a detrimental effect on the recovery rate.

Stop Overnurturing
AIR FORCE VIEW: If you routinely take on other people's problems and responsibilities, learn to gracefully disengage. Try to get some nurturing for yourself.
ARMY VIEW: Always attempt to do everything. You ARE responsible for it all. Perhaps you haven't thoroughly read your job description.

Learn To Say "No"
AIR FORCE VIEW: You'll help diminish intensity by speaking up for yourself. This means refusing additional requests or demands on your time or emotions.
ARMY VIEW: Never say no to anything. It shows weakness. Never put off until tomorrow what you can do at midnight.

Begin To Back Off And Detach.
AIR FORCE VIEW: Learn to delegate, not only at work, but also at home and with friends. In this case, detachment means rescuing yourself for yourself.
ARMY VIEW: Delegating is a sign of weakness. If you want it done right, do it yourself (see #5).

Reassess Your Values
AIR FORCE VIEW: Try to sort out the meaningful values from the temporary and fleeting, the essential from the nonessential. You'll conserve energy and time, and begin to feel more centered.
ARMY VIEW: Stop thinking about your own problems. This is selfish. If your values change, we will make an announcement. Until then, if someone calls you and questions your priorities, tell them that you are unable to comment on this and give them the number for PAO. It will be taken care of.

Learn To Pace Yourself.
AIR FORCE VIEW: Try to take life in moderation. You only have so much energy available. Ascertain what is wanted and needed in your life, then begin to balance work with love, pleasure, and relaxation.
ARMY VIEW: A balanced life is a myth perpetuated by liberal arts schools. Don't be a fool: the only thing that matters is work and productivity.

Take Care Of Your Body
AIR FORCE VIEW: Don't skip meals, abuse yourself with rigid diets, disregard your need for sleep, or miss doctor's appointments. Take care of yourself nutritionally.
ARMY VIEW: Your body serves your mind, your mind serves the Army. Push the mind and the body will follow.

Diminish Worry And Anxiety
AIR FORCE VIEW: Try to keep superstitious worrying to a minimum - it changes nothing. You'll have a better grip on your situation if you spend less time worrying and more time taking care of your real needs. If necessary, listen to more Barry Manilow!
ARMY VIEW: If you're not worrying about work, you must not be very committed to it. We'll find someone who is.

Keep Your Sense Of Humor.
AIR FORCE VIEW: Begin to bring job and happy moments into your life. Very few people suffer burnout when they're having fun.
ARMY VIEW: So, you think your work is funny? We'll discuss this with your commander on Friday, at 1900!

An Army lieutenant was out walking one day, and came upon a little boy, playing with a pile of poop.

"Son, what are you doing?" asked the lieutenant.

"I'm building an Air Force NCO," said the boy.

The Army lieutenant, thinking this was quite funny, returned with his captain, and asked the same question.

Again, the boy replied that he was building an Air Force NCO.

The Army captain, also thinking it was funny, went back to the company area, and brought the first sergeant out. Again the question was asked, and the reply was the same.

The first sergeant then asked the boy why he was building an Air Force NCO.

The boy replied "Because I don't have enough poop to make an Army officer."

And boy aren't I glad I ride a fast bike. Screw braking, I accelerate out of trouble, before the damn idiot cagers murder me. Sorry, people who for the life of them can't see a giant red racing bike with a guy on it festooned head to toe in brightly colored racing leathers deserve some pejoration.

Here's a hint. If you want to be seen, don't ride in the blind spot.

I know another rule. You get a whole lane to yourself, except when you want to squeeze by traffic, so those cars better not come too close to the bike even though the bike can comes close to the cars...

( I do give bikes lots of room but I can't see out the back of my head.)

Last edited:
Using the term "cagers" to tar us all with that broad brush is not the way to fix the problem. I make an effort to look out for motorcycles. Even so, I'm sometimes defeated by the idiots runinng 30 MPH above the speed of prevailing traffic, weaving in and out of traffic, riding in between vehicles that are staying properly in their lane, coming up out of the blind spot, and sending gravel flying from the shoulder, all while hunched over low on their crotch rockets in a sleeveless T-shirt, board shorts, flip flops, and no helmet.

Not all motorcyclists are like that. Not all drivers are, either. Please put away that broad brush unless you'd like it used on you, too.
What brush? I don't mean cager in a negative way. You're in a cage--that makes you a cager. I'm on a bike--that makes me a biker. No need to dig for negative meaning that isn't intended.

Would you want to spend time in a cage (using the non-motorcycle-discussion meaning of the term)?

Most cars have Safety "Cages" built in. I'd take the argument up with GM to get the term changed if Cager is offensive.

The "cager" thing is another stupid term that's supposed to separate "real motorcyclists" from those "caged up stupid drivers."

This is similar to the "fred" term "serious road cyclists" use for anyone that doesn't race.

I don't know a single motorcycle owner who doesn't also own a car, so the differentiation seems awfully circumstantial.

This stupidity gets lumped in with the "I won't do the bike wave because you're not on a Harley" nonsense.

Pejorative terms are usually based on ignorance coupled with the need to make me feel superior to you.

If you need that to feel good about yourself, fine.

I'd rather just ride.

> This stupidity gets lumped in with the "I won't do the bike wave because you're not on a Harley" nonsense.

Seems to me (a relatively new rider) that those bikers that don't wave are usually
riding a Harley.

Here's hint. If you want to be seen, don't ride in the blind spot.

I know another rule. You get a whole lane to yourself, except when you want to squeeze by traffic, so those cars better not come too close to the bike even though the bike can comes close to the cars...

( I do give bikes lots of room but I can't see out the back of my head.)

In my experience, cagers have a roughly 360 degree blind spot. I'll happily squeeze past immotile cars going 5 mph, I endanger no one.

We flew down to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge yesterday. My pal was convinced I would really like the go-cart racing. In truth I found it a bit tame compared to riding my fire-breathing racing motorcycle.

We flew down to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge yesterday. My pal was convinced I would really like the go-cart racing. In truth I found it a bit tame compared to riding my fire-breathing racing motorcycle.
If you were in that neck of the woods you should have done the Dragon instead. I have only actually done it in a car. :redface:

Flew to Gatlinburg.

I've heard that the Dragon has become a favorite hangout of North Carolina's finest.

Just be very careful about doing this in larger (ie higher CG) vehicles, or you'll find yourself sitting on your side in the ditch watching the other guy drive away. Sometimes, it's good to swap paint.

Well, I see this done on lots of different kinds of vehicles (including SUV's) on the company test track, but I don't see them end up on their side.

Of course, one has to remain in control and remain on the pavement. If you hit a curb, or have a wheel drop off the edge, you can roll just about anything. I have a buddy that did a complete "aileron roll" in a Ford Thunderbird - 360 degree roll in the air before it came back down on the wheels.

Flew to Gatlinburg.
There are places you can rent motorcycles close by. My flying buddy was talking about doing it. I just laughed and told him I would tell the passengers, "Gee, I don't know what happened to him. The last time I saw him was when I dropped him off at the motorcycle rental place..."

Would you want to spend time in a cage (using the non-motorcycle-discussion meaning of the term)?
As a tech guy--I'm sure you've spent some time in a 'cage', as have I, and no I am not so easily offended by a silly term. I would think the tron guy of all people wouldn't be so sensitive over his car being referred to as a cage.

As a tech guy--I'm sure you've spent some time in a 'cage', as have I, and no I am not so easily offended by a silly term. I would think the tron guy of all people wouldn't be so sensitive over his car being referred to as a cage.
In general, when someone mentions "cage", I think of the kind of cage an animal is kept in. To suggest that a human is in such a cage is demeaning, to say the least. I find it inconsistent, to say the least, that a group that complains when people talk about "crotch rockets" uses such a term.

Crotch rocket, rice rocket, hyperbike, scooter. Call my ride any or all off these, heck those are the only real slang words I can think of for motorcycles, and I won't get offended and neither will anyone I know. Call us bikers Organ Donors, pretty grim actually, and I won't get offended and neither will anyone I know. I do think its funny when nurses tell me the big joke about Organ Donors like I've never heard it before.

The motorcycle riders I know and those who have generally commented in places I've seen have taken great offense at "crotch rocket". "It's 'sportbike', dammit!" Those folks are the ones who take great glee in denigrating those of us who drive cars as "cagers".

The motorcycle riders I know and those who have generally commented in places I've seen have taken great offense at "crotch rocket". "It's 'sportbike', dammit!" Those folks are the ones who take great glee in denigrating those of us who drive cars as "cagers".

Really?

I've never heard that taken pejoratively.

I use it myself to describe my liter bike...

Yeah, sorry, I don't know anyone who really cares what cagers call their bikes. Kinda like how I really don't care what non pilots think of my aircraft.

I've never seen a biker offended. In the end--you're the only one that can allow yourself to be offended over such a stupid reason. I drive a car too sometimes--and I consider it a cage. Honestly a cage isn't a bad thing when you're going 75 mph between a couple semis.

I've never actually heard anyone take offense to "Crotch Rocket." In fact, I usually hear it hear to describe the difference between cruisers and whatever the real name for the lean over fast bikes that Jesse rides are.

For example, I own a Cruiser.
Jesse owns a crotch rocket.
We both drive cages.

Didn't think it was an insulting term.

that really sucks. My mom almost nailed a guy touring left in an intersection. It was raining and he wan't following anyone. no cars a good distance in front of us, she had the lights on, and if he had turned an slower then she would have another car head on swerving to avoid him, or cliped him and sent him in to a spin, or possibly a flip. depends on what the mini van felt like doing (she was going 30. even with the pedal on the floor she couldn't slow fast enough in the rain) Unfortunatly the guy still has his license, and is potentially driving recklessly as we speak.

Well the verdict is in. Total loss, and I get a whopping $6913. Which is pretty much blue book value for my car in good conditon.

Anyone know of a car that's only been drivin to church by their grandma?
no, but I know a few lawyers that might get you a few more bucks. That sir, is reckless op.

Wanna see what I mean about Chicago suburban drivers?

http://cbs2chicago.com/video/?id=48422@wbbm.dayport.com

Willow Road has local and express lanes there. He was in the express lanes.

The only thing missing is the guy barreling through 4 stop signs.

BTW, the anchor who introduces it is a high school mate of mine. I put him on stage.

Last edited:
Back