The decline of our civilization...

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
The Chicago Sun Times is the latest newspaper to file for bankruptcy, according to CNN. The death of the printed word is in progress, as we slide towards Idiocracy.

darn, if all the newspapers die, where am i going to do the crossword or sudoku puzzles??

i guess that will work scott. was always nice to have the newspaper in class so you could do the crossword or sudoku...

s-CHICAGO-SUN-TIMES-large.jpg
Today's front page

You can still do them in class, on a laptop or phone.

It is sad that the newspapers are folding, but I really can't remember the last time I read one. We get 99% of our news from online now. If we didn't, we would just have to turn on one of the 24hr news networks and be overwhelmed.

We do, however, still read books and read books to our kids. The newspapers have lasted a lot longer than I thought they would.

Gun show???

Off the street, illegally?

This is America, private gun sales at guns shows, in someone's home or at McDonalds is legal.

If a criminal wants to get a gun he/she will get a gun illegally. Since when did they care about laws?

It is sad that the newspapers are folding, but I really can't remember the last time I read one. We get 99% of our news from online now. If we didn't, we would just have to turn on one of the 24hr news networks and be overwhelmed.
It's especially unfortunate for people who do not use computers and don't subscribe to cable or satellite.

I've been very carefully avoiding this topic, because what I have to say about it would be political...

Off the street, illegally?

This is America, private gun sales at guns shows, in someone's home or at McDonalds is legal.

If a criminal wants to get a gun he/she will get a gun illegally. Since when did they care about laws?

I think the phrase "inmate" is critical here... my brain says "this article is about how an inmate in some correctional facility got a firearm"...

Cheers,

-Andrew

FWIW, the Sun Times story about the inmate with a gun involves the story of a guy who was arrested on drug charges and managed to conceal a loaded .380 in jail for two days and through four searches. So it's not a "gun rights" issue so much as it is "how did the sheriff's department screw up so badly and let a dude with a gun into county lockup?"

No gun politics really involved in this story, folks.

I so want to RBP this post... but I remember what you did to Scott's post count that time...

Care to remind me? AFAICR, I've only ever threatened to do something to his post count.

Besides, I remembered to use my smilies this time to indicate I was *kidding*. :p

I used to read the Washington Post on a daily basis, although I only get the local rag on Sundays. I still worry about the state of our civilization with the decline of the printed word. Will the youth of today be the Youtube generation?

Care to remind me? AFAICR, I've only ever threatened to do something to his post count.

Besides, I remembered to use my smilies this time to indicate I was *kidding*. :p

I remember one day when his post count went negiative for a day or so...:devil:

There's no shortage of printed materials both good and bad for people of all ages. Kids that don't read -it's their parent's fault.

How many people need printed papers really? They're inefficient and if enough really needed them, they'd be able to stay in business.

The Chicago Sun Times is the latest newspaper to file for bankruptcy, according to CNN. The death of the printed word is in progress, as we slide towards Idiocracy.

The Detroit Free Press just discontinued the home delivery on 3 or 4 days a week (the paper (page by page image) is available on line (digitalfreepress.com) or at news stands).

I find this thread interesting as our local rag (The Tennessean) just used a considerable amount of ink this past Sunday arguing that the newspaper industry was overall in a good place.
Go figure. :dunno:

Right around the time his odometer turned, IIRC someone (I'll blame you) zero'd his post count for a day.

I'm reminded of the phrase "do not taunt the dynamite monkey" right about now.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I used to read the Washington Post on a daily basis, although I only get the local rag on Sundays. I still worry about the state of our civilization with the decline of the printed word. Will the youth of today be the Youtube generation?

I subscribe to our local paper (Sundays) and the FT (weekdays/weekend). I find it funny that when friends visit, almost all will read the FT at the breakfast table, or take this week's Economist, or any one of the news-y mags I read, up to bed at night. But ask them to subscribe? "I get my news from the internet".

Cheers,

-Andrew

How many people need printed papers really? They're inefficient and if enough really needed them, they'd be able to stay in business.

Agreed.

As a Gold member of every reputable hotel chain, I get a newspaper at my door in the morning.

Ask me the last time I did more than move it out of the way....

Except for the Wall Street Journal and The Washingtom Times, the large majority of the newspapers including their sources like the AP have become far left propagandists. I say good riddance. There are much better news sources than the mainstream media like newspapers.

They dug their own graves. Maybe the New York Times will be next. :D

Except for the Wall Street Journal and The Washingtom Times, the large majority of the newspapers including their sources like the AP have become far left propagandists.

Teetering on SZ...

I don't like either of the Washington papers. I don't mind the NY Times. I'm slowly starting to hate the Boston Globe, my hometown paper. The WSJ is great, but can be a bit "If you aren't in Lower Manhattan, you are dead to us" at times. Alas, the FT and Economist are my two favorites.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Andrew posted while I was closing -- no more posts will occur until the MC reviews and decides.

Upon review the MC has decided to reopen this topic and leave it where it is.

Since I'm suffering from insomnia I might as well be the first to post.

Printing The NYT Costs Twice As Much As Sending Every Subscriber A Free Kindle

link here.

I see no problem with print newspapers declining. What I see as a problem is professional journalism being eschewed for creative writing, comment forums or talking head opinion spewers. Citizen bloggers vs. journalists? They both have their place.

Last edited:
Except for the Wall Street Journal and The Washingtom Times, the large majority of the newspapers including their sources like the AP have become far left propagandists.

Too bad there's absolutely no evidence to support that statement.

Trapper John

I see no problem with print newspapers declining. What I see as a problem is professional journalism being eschewed for creative writing, comment forums or talking head opinion spewers. Citizen bloggers vs. journalists? They both have their place.

Yep. Critical thinking will become more important as journalistic and editorial standards decline. Just look at the uproar a week or so ago as some here took a Washington Times Op-Ed piece as fact.

Trapper John

Back