The daydream.

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
OK, here is the scenario,the same daydream we have all had at one time or another, but like UFOs, we don't discuss it with anyone. :redface:

Your on a flight in a large air transport whatever, loaded with passengers, on a flight to who cares. Then it happens, the terrorists jump up and take over the airplane. You are the only person on board with any pilot training at all, besides the flight crew who have been murdered by the terrorists. :yikes:

You singlehandedly vanquish all the bad guys due to your one week of judo instruction you had ten years ago. You are the hero of the day, but now the aircraft only has you to fly it. :smile:

Now the problem, you are only checked out in a Cessna 152. You have not been checked out in anything else, although you did watch Sky King once.

Do you risk the wrath of the FAA and attempt to fly this big mother, even though you are not qualified, and have no clue what to do other than squawk 7700 and scream Mayday on 121.5 and hope someone can talk you to a safe landing? :nono: Or, do you follow the rules and not attempt to fly an aircraft you are not checked out on?

When you land to the accolades and gratitude of the hundreds of passengers and hot stews.:blowingkisses:, will the FAA pull your ticket? Should you have just remained in your seat and die knowing you did the right thing, or what? :D

John

John,

You need to get out more.

OK, here is the scenario,the same daydream we have all had at one time or another, but like UFOs, we don't discuss it with anyone. :redface:

Your on a flight in a large air transport whatever, loaded with passengers, on a flight to who cares. Then it happens, the terrorists jump up and take over the airplane. You are the only person on board with any pilot training at all, besides the flight crew who have been murdered by the terrorists. :yikes:

You singlehandedly vanquish all the bad guys due to your one week of judo instruction you had ten years ago. You are the hero of the day, but now the aircraft only has you to fly it. :smile:

Now the problem, you are only checked out in a Cessna 152. You have not been checked out in anything else, although you did watch Sky King once.

Do you risk the wrath of the FAA and attempt to fly this big mother, even though you are not qualified, and have no clue what to do other than squawk 7700 and scream Mayday on 121.5 and hope someone can talk you to a safe landing? :nono: Or, do you follow the rules and not attempt to fly an aircraft you are not checked out on?

When you land to the accolades and gratitude of the hundreds of passengers and hot stews.:blowingkisses:, will the FAA pull your ticket? Should you have just remained in your seat and die knowing you did the right thing, or what? :D

John

Well -- if you can fly and land it -- the FAA isn't going to be coming down on you.

I'd be brilliant, calm and completely professional.

After landing, the FSDO guy would shake my hand and comp me my ATP.

Women would line up for the chance to....

...uh...

...ooh, I was dreamin'... did I drool again?

Should you have just remained in your seat and die

What?!

I think if you were the only rated pilot aboard, the other pax would beg you to TRY.
If no pilot aboard, then look around for the 10 year old with the most time on FltSim.

First thing I do - get on the radio to Joe Petroni and have him parachute someone in to save us all.

Depends.

Is your name Ted Stryker?

Did the pilots have fish for dinner?

Come on... We all know that the thing to do would to be to find someone with extensive MSFS experience since they would be more knowledgeable and better equipped to fly a 7X7 than some VFR tin can pilot.:goofy:

Come on... We all know that the thing to do would to be to find someone with extensive MSFS experience since they would be more knowledgeable and better equipped to fly a 7X7 than some VFR tin can pilot.:goofy:

The extensive MSFS experience *may* make someone equipped than your
average bugsmasher pilot.

It being an emergency, I think they'd let it slide... :rolleyes:
Seriously, though- who in their right mind would sit there and do nothing because of some regulation? that'd be like flying into a building because you didn't want to bust an airspace, or... oh, nevermind. :rolleyes:

I had a real live dream about this once. Confronting a frantic passenger who screamed "we're all going to die" I said in my most steely voice, "yep, we're all going to die. Just not today". Landed the plane successfully too. Great dream.

As a martial arts instructor, the terrorists would have never made it to the cockpit if I was on board. But even if they did, after vanquishing them, I would STILL squawk 7500, explain the situation, and say,

"I am the only qualified individual on board who can land this thing. If you want it down in one piece, I fully expect to be exempt from any and all taxes including but not limited to federal and state income, local, property, and sales taxes for the remainder of my natural life. Currently crossing SAVYR at two-niner-zero, advise which approach I'm cleared for."

I am pretty sure that the flight crew being murdered by terrorists would qualify as an "in-flight emergency" under FAR part 91.3(b).

I generally don't appreciate that daydream, much, but I suppose that's because it has an unhappy ending for me. That said, I think in an emergency situation like that, you could land without a clearance on a taxiway on top of a baby seal, and no one will say anything bad if the plane stops in a recognizable form.

I generally don't appreciate that daydream, much, but I suppose that's because it has an unhappy ending for me. That said, I think in an emergency situation like that, you could land without a clearance on a taxiway on top of a baby seal, and no one will say anything bad if the plane stops in a recognizable form.

Seriously, if I ever get to do this, I WILL make a "Any traffic in the area, please advise" call to whatever Bravo Airport I'm landing at.

As a martial arts instructor, the terrorists would have never made it to the cockpit if I was on board. But even if they did, after vanquishing them, I would STILL squawk 7500, explain the situation, and say,

"I am the only qualified individual on board who can land this thing. If you want it down in one piece, I fully expect to be exempt from any and all taxes including but not limited to federal and state income, local, property, and sales taxes for the remainder of my natural life. Currently crossing SAVYR at two-niner-zero, advise which approach I'm cleared for."

OK, your a martial arts instructor, say a DOM 9 or 10 and you singlehandedly vanquish all the terrorists. Since there are now no hijackers on board that can successfully breath, do you squawk 7500 or 7700? My assumption would be if you are ATP rated and current, 7500 would be fine. However, if you have only flown in Indian country, 1200, wouldn't the appropriate squawk be 7700?

John

OK, your a martial arts instructor, say a DOM 9 or 10 and you singlehandedly vanquish all the terrorists. Since there are now no hijackers on board that can successfully breath, do you squawk 7500 or 7700? My assumption would be if you are ATP rated and current, 7500 would be fine. However, if you have only flown in Indian country, 1200, wouldn't the appropriate squawk be 7700?

John

7500 ;)

I would vanquish the terrorists with my nail clippers that I am now allowed to carry,then make the announcement we will all be landing shortly,in the Bahamas on the isle of Mayaquana, so I can fish for bonefish with my flyrod that I just happened to have in this dream/nightmare.

I dunno, given your (earlier mentioned) plans to extort money (freedom from taxes) I think the 7700 would still be appropriate, don't you?

Where does it say that the new quasi-hijacker (me) can't let em know the plane is temporarily "mine." :D ?

Where does it say that the new quasi-hijacker (me) can't let em know the plane is temporarily "mine." :D ?

What makes you think you won't then be vanquished by the ten year old in row twelve with many more hours of MSFS than you could ever hope for?

Seriously, if I ever get to do this, I WILL make a "Any traffic in the area, please advise" call to whatever Bravo Airport I'm landing at.

You do that and I will pay you $5!!! :D

Back