The day that music died

And that day marked the single biggest drop in VW bus values in history...

Trapper John

My parents owned 2. A 1967 that purred like a kitten, and a 1977 that was a POS that even an American car company would have been ashamed of.

Hmmm.... 9/27/1986?? anyone?

Cliff Burton.

I have absolutely no idea of his contribution to music, if any. That was pretty close to my one year anniversary with my girlfriend (now, she's my wife).

Interesting date. In 1969 on that day the Manson cult members killed Sharon Tate and her friends. In 1974 Nixon resigned on that day. in 1945 on that day Nagasaki was bombed.

And even weirder, to relate the Manson murders back to music, all fingers point to the desired target being Dennis Wilson, since he had been renting the property until shortly before the murders....

And even weirder, to relate the Manson murders back to music, all fingers point to the desired target being Dennis Wilson, since he had been renting the property until shortly before the murders....
Not quite. Dennis Wilson never lived there nor rented.

That was Terry Melcher's (Doris Day's son) rented house. Manson had been introduced to Melcher by Dennis Wilson and Manson expected Melcher to come up with a record deal for him. Melcher and his girlfriend, Candice Bergman, had just moved out a few weeks earlier.

Not quite. Dennis Wilson never lived there nor rented.

That was Terry Melcher's (Doris Day's son) rented house. Manson had been introduced to Melcher by Dennis Wilson and Manson expected Melcher to come up with a record deal for him. Melcher and his girlfriend, Candice Bergman, had just moved out a few weeks earlier.

Ohhhhhh that's right. Terry Melchior. But Charlie was ****ed at Dennis for not recording his songs. And Dennis had been spending lots of time there with Terry. Verrry, verrrry weird.

Ohhhhhh that's right. Terry Melchior. But Charlie was ****ed at Dennis for not recording his songs. And Dennis had been spending lots of time there with Terry. Verrry, verrrry weird.
You got it. For some reason these murders have always intrigued me. Maybe it was because it was a memory of when it happened and how my folks reacted to it.

Back