The day that music died

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
No, not talking about the Beatles....

December 8, 2004 - the greatest guitarist since the 1980s was shot to death on stage.

Miss ya Dimebag.

:dunno:

It wasn't Danny Gatton - he had a heart attack.

who was that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimebag_Darrell

220px-Dimebag.jpg

On December 8, 2004, Abbott was shot onstage while performing with Damageplan at the Alrosa Villa in Columbus, Ohio.
The gunman was Nathan Gale.[5][14] who shot Abbott five times, including once in the head, killing him instantly, and then continued shooting - killing three others, and wounding a further three. Gale fired a total of fifteen shots, taking the time to reload once and remaining silent throughout the shooting.
Jeff "Mayhem" Thompson, the band's head of security, was killed tackling Gale, as was Alrosa Villa employee Erin Halk. Audience member Nathan Bray was killed while trying to perform CPR on Dimebag and Mayhem.[15]. Damageplan drum technician, John "Kat" Brooks, was shot three times as he attempted to get the gun away from Gale, but was overpowered and taken hostage in a headlock position. Tour manager, Chris Paluska was also injured.

Hey Nick, doesn't the day the music died generally refer to Buddy Holly's death, not any of the Beatles?

Last edited:
Ahh, but Buddy Holly's music was lame and lacking in any musical skill (unless you consider repetetive chord strumming music). Darrell was an innovator of sound. His murder did a lot more to music than Holly's or Lennon's death, and unlike either of them, he was killed during a performance, which transcends tragedy.

At least no one watched buddy holly die in his airplane.

Btw, comparing deaths is retarded.

Ahh, but Buddy Holly's music was lame and lacking in any musical skill (unless you consider repetetive chord strumming music). Darrell was an innovator of sound. His murder did a lot more to music than Holly's or Lennon's death, and unlike either of them, he was killed during a performance, which transcends tragedy.

At least no one watched buddy holly die in his airplane.

Almost as retarded as discussing musical styles and contributions to the art form.

Y'all still owe a lot to Kyle Creed, Bill Monroe, Howlin' Wolf, Big Mama Thornton, Blind Lemon, etc. Those guys created musical styles that are still with us today.

In all fairness, Nick, you used the reference that commonly references another musician's death, and has for a number of decades.

Almost as retarded as discussing musical styles and contributions to the art form.

Y'all still owe a lot to Kyle Creed, Bill Monroe, Howlin' Wolf, Big Mama Thornton, Blind Lemon, etc. Those guys created musical styles that are still with us today.

I'm not familiar with all of them, but Blind Lemon had some skill.

Funny enough, a few years ago I stopped reading Guitar World, because they came out with a list of 100 of the best guitarists of all time. Top 20s included Kurt Kobain, Billy Corgan, and Elvis Presley.

Missing from the list? Yngwie Malmsteen, Blind Lemon, and a bunch more.

Hell, John Petrucci didn't even top the 30s.

And of course, as many are wont to do, Jimi Hendrix, the riff stealer himself, was #1. Final straw for me. I canceled the subscription and haven't looked back.

In all fairness, Nick, you used the reference that commonly references another musician's death, and has for a number of decades.

I disagree with the idea that the term is reserved for 3 chord wonders. Especially one who died like 185 years ago, but music only got better without him. Id say music did not die that day,. Aviation died.

I disagree with the idea that the term is reserved for 3 chord wonders. Especially one who died like 185 years ago, but music only got better without him. Id say music did not die that day,. Aviation died.

I never said it was reserved, I said you used a phrase that commonly refers to someone else. When you do that, you can expect others to make that point. Being that this is the internet, you can then expect everyone to start going off on tangents and comparing deaths or whatever else.

Not saying I disagree with you (although honestly I have no clue who the guitarist you're talking about is - not my kind of music), just a point on the nature of the beast. :)

Holly was certainly not a guitar virtuoso, but he was a helluva songwriter. Last time I checked, that was a musical skill. And he wasn't much of a singer per se, but he had a unique sound, and his songs stuck out from the rest of the pack at that time... despite the lack of complexity. The same can be said of Valens and Richardson, who died with him. You don't have to dig their music to respect their contribution.

The only reason anyone mentioned Holly here was because that phrase ("the day the music died") has become popularly used to refer to the day that three pop giants died in a plane crash at the time when rock'n'roll was really coming into its own as a popular and commercially viable form of music. I know you said "that music died", but for many, the other phrase springs to mind right away.

The guy responsible is Don McLean, who made those words the refrain in his song "American Pie", which points to that tragedy also as the beginning of the end for rock and roll that was exciting but somewhat innocent. I don't really agree with him, any more than I'd agree that the horrible death of Dimebag (and those who tried to stop the gunman) heralded the death of metal guitar.

I never said it was reserved, I said you used a phrase that commonly refers to someone else. When you do that, you can expect others to make that point. Being that this is the internet,
The should be the Internet. Note the capital I? The word Internet is a proper noun and proper nouns are always capitalized.

Proper nouns (also called proper names) are nouns representing unique entities (such as London, Jupiter or Johnny), as distinguished from common nouns which describe a class of entities (such as city, planet or person).[8] Proper nouns are not normally preceded by an article or other limiting modifier (such as any or some), and are used to denote a particular person, place, or thing without regard to any descriptive meaning the word or phrase may have.

you can then expect everyone to start going off on tangents and comparing deaths or whatever else.

Yeah don't ya hate that when that happens???

:rofl::rofl: ;) ;)

+1.

I gave that one up years ago.

I am convinced that people generally think the best music in the world is the stuff they listened to in high school (and "discovered" in college).

I never said it was reserved, I said you used a phrase that commonly refers to someone else. When you do that, you can expect others to make that point. Being that this is the internet, you can then expect everyone to start going off on tangents and comparing deaths or whatever else.

Not saying I disagree with you (although honestly I have no clue who the guitarist you're talking about is - not my kind of music), just a point on the nature of the beast. :)

I wasn't referring to you there...someone else used the word "reserved" in a sort of "You young whippersnappers....get off my lawn!" sort of way.

I am convinced that people generally think the best music in the world is the stuff they listened to in high school (and "discovered" in college).

I don't. The music I listen to is crap, and I know it. But I like it, which is why I listen to it. Really, that's all anyone can ever say, is that they like the music they listen to. Same with wine, beer, etc.

When I grow up, I want to be like Mr. Kowalski.

Wait, since I called it "The day that music died" instead of "The day the music died" does that mean that the fogeys can't refer to Holly's death as "The day that music died?"

I like that. Otherwise, its just "old fogeys rewriting history because they've lost their short term memory."

Wait, since I called it "The day that music died" instead of "The day the music died" does that mean that the fogeys can't refer to Holly's death as "The day that music died?"

It's all yours. :D

But as great as Dimebag was, I think there's still plenty of excellent and creative guitar-shredding going on. But it's only an opinion, like people believing pop or r&b is done because Michael Jackson is dead. Means a lot to them, but it's not a fact, just a viewpoint. It applies to any icon, I think.

Nobody in rock can make the claim of being the worlds greatest guitarists. Few, if any can claim to be originators. All of rock is built on the work of those who started it all.

Like jazz or classical, all of it has a similar sound so that even at a great distance, you know the type of music you are listening to. There is old rock where most if not all the lyrics were intelligible, then there is todays rock were little or nothing is intelligible but is compensated for with volume.

Truly great guitarists are not to be found in the world of rock, you have to move to classical to find them. Granted, there are some very skilled rockers, but like I said, few originators.

Before you go flying off the handle, bear in mind I am an older person, I don't like that racket you listen to, and I don't like you walking on my lawn either. Keep your dog on a leash and pick up after it.

John

Last edited:

:cheerswine::cheerswine:

Doesn't "the day the music died" refer to the plane crash that eventually led to the development of Part 135 charter operations?

Doesn't "the day the music died" refer to the plane crash that eventually led to the development of Part 135 charter operations?

Yes it does. However, from now on, "The day that music died" shall refer to the murder of Dimebag Darrell and a number of his acquaintances on stage.

:D

Yes it does. However, from now on, "The day that music died" shall refer to the murder of Dimebag Darrell and a number of his acquaintances on stage.

:D

I'm sorry. I should not be so callous about an artist I don't know. Obviously, Dimebag meant something to you and I should respect that. I've lost more artists than I care to remember.

Can we agree trying to get the world to remember Dimebag Darrell by using the phrase "The day the music dies" is going to be an uphill battle? Lets come up with a phrase ol Dimebag would be proud of.

How about; "The day the innocence of performing live died."

BTW, what did the shooter have against him?

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I should not be so callous about an artist I don't know. Obviously, Dimebag meant something to you and I should respect that. I've lost more artists than I care to remember.

Can we agree trying to get the world to remember Dimebag Darrell by using the phrase "The day the music dies" is going to be an uphill battle? Lets come up with a phrase ol Dimebag would be proud of.

How about; "The day the innocence of performing live died."

BTW, what did the shooter have against him?

Fair enough.

There are all kinds of speculation surrounding why he killed him. Some reports said he shouted that Darrell was responsible for the breakup of a Metal group called Pantera, but that was never substantiated nor backed up in any official way, so I'm guessing it was just people trying to grasp at a cause.

My guess is that he was drugged up and snapped. If he was able to fight off so many people while holding a gun to someone's head, I'm going to guess PCP was a factor.

Very, very sad.

He was diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic, like another mass murderer recently in the news. Well, actually the second guy was probably never officially diagnosed.

After twenty years those are the guys who really scare me.

Last edited:
Dimebag... I knew a dude who had "20 sack" on his license plates and wondered why he kept getting busted....:nonod::nonod::nonod:

EHHHHH-- WRONG!!

August 9, 1995

Back