The Dam Visual RWY 24

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I got bored, started playing with this (someone else suggested it as a joke while at Gastons). What do y'all think? Could it pass for a real plate?

3m0plate.png

actually we werent joking. if the event gets any bigger a standard arrival is imperative.

I think it needs acouple notes:

1: Procedure Not Authorized at Night
2: If outcome of Approach is ever in doubt, proceed immediately to the Flippin Airport

actually we werent joking. if the event gets any bigger a standard arrival is imperative.

I think it needs acouple notes:

1: Procedure Not Authorized at Night
2: If outcome of Approach is ever in doubt, proceed immediately to the Flippin Airport

Like that better?

3m0plate.png

I was just joking, but if we want to make that the standard approach, I'm cool with it. lol. Not sure if the FAA is though.

hey its a board fly in, we can make our own arrival procedure right? just like oshkosh, we make about a 20 page notam. piece o cake.

change FLP to Flippin. that makes it much more fun ;)
something should be put in there about calling gastons approach over the dam. and remember that even if steve is up flying he still has authority to send you out to the dam to re-enter the arrival. :rofl:

That's great!

I think we should have a mandatory initial call before reaching the dam. This weekend I heard several initial calls on downwind. With that much traffic a call up on downwind just isn't enough notice.

I'll chime in on this... my engineering/process improvement background can't resist.

Nick's pictorial is a good start. I suggest a Google or Virtual Earth overview, also, with the routing overlayed for those who are new to the area. Also, like they now do for Airventure, Sun n' Fun, and SWRFI, an online photo of each turn point shot from the expected direction of flight with expected altitudes (allowing for varying approach speeds). Troy's video of Dave's P-Baron low pass should be included, as it has a good view of the final approach path. A FAQ for arriving and departing pilots, including what to do if you find out you can't or don't want to land at Gaston's but still want to stay there, should be developed. We've been kind of "winging it" up to now, but as it gets bigger it may not be reasonable to expect everyone to know all the options available. And, of course, all of this should be posted on the Unofficial Official Gaston's Fly-in website.

Some things to consider:

Recommended departure routings in addition to the arrival routing with altitudes (some aircraft have the performance to climb straight out while others may need to turn right or left to avoid the departure "ridge"

Avoidance of the instrument approaches for BPK and FLP (I don't want to be accused of cutting off a "heavy twin" again)

Lat/Long for the dam

Suggested headings for each leg of the arrival and departure routes

Recommended transitions to BPK and FLP from 3M0

Dual monitoring of BPK and 3M0 CTAF when possible

Jason's suggestion on initial calls

Emphasize this is a VFR event and all operations are at pilot's discretion regardless of what might be stated on the CTAF

Of course, this diminishes the thrill of "discovering" Gaston's upon arrival, but I think it's time to trade that for increased situational awareness, both from an avigational and aircraft proximity standpoint.

My 2¢...

steve
you hit everything ive been thinking should be included.

the ILS into BPK really does come pretty close. vigilance also has to be kept for the traffic pattern at Valley airport, just over the ridge. if they are landing to the east they are going to be head on with people on downwind for 24 at 3M0

Thanks for reminding me of Valley....last year we had a Bo making a wide pattern into Valley and from the ground he did look head on to the downwind for 24...got my heart rate up with 3 on downwind for 3M0 at the time

and it is tree-mike-zero, not tree-mike-oscar...stupid gps's don't know what your really mean...:rofl:

steve
you hit everything ive been thinking should be included.

the ILS into BPK really does come pretty close. vigilance also has to be kept for the traffic pattern at Valley airport, just over the ridge. if they are landing to the east they are going to be head on with people on downwind for 24 at 3M0

yea, they dont even have to be making a particularly wide downwind...

perhaps we should investigate what, if any, freq that they use?

61AR

Airnav lists CTAF as 123.00, same as BPK and FLP

but that doesn't guarantee they'll be using it... :(

yea, they dont even have to be making a particularly wide downwind...

perhaps we should investigate what, if any, freq that they use?

and remember that even if steve is up flying he still has authority to send you out to the dam to re-enter the arrival. :rofl:

Or if you're really bad, he can put you in the box and make you hold at the flippin' VOR. :rofl:

As a matter of fact, several of us over the weekend were discussing doing this. Like Tony said, we can make it an official NOTAM if we want to. We might want to get a local CFI to "test drive it" before it's finalized and submitted for publication or at least try it out next year informally to get user feedback.

I was just joking, but if we want to make that the standard approach, I'm cool with it. lol. Not sure if the FAA is though.

Maybe the first call for inbounds should be over Yellville....

1. Give a shout over Yellville
2. Give a Dam position report
3. Get Down wind
4. Base your turn to Base on terrain avoidance
5. Call your Final Approach, but don't really make it your "Final" approach

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Or if you're really bad, he can put you in the box and make you hold at the flippin' VOR. :rofl:

As a matter of fact, several of us over the weekend were discussing doing this. Like Tony said, we can make it an official NOTAM if we want to. We might want to get a local CFI to "test drive it" before it's finalized and submitted for publication or at least try it out next year informally to get user feedback.

And you'd have to get the airport manager or authority to issue the NOTAM.

If we make it an official NOTAM that's a given. This is where local influence would pay off. I think if it's presented in the spirit of improving safety it would be an easy buy off.

I know we could do at least as well as these guys...

http://www.swrfi.org/arrival_photos.htm

http://www.swrfi.org/approach_map.htm

I'm not even sure this is an "official" notam...

http://www.swrfi.org/pdf/2007/HDO_EAA_flyin_procedures2007.pdf

Just some ideas to consider.

We need a safety committee...I nominate EdFred, Tony and Matt S. !!

And you'd have to get the airport manager or authority to issue the NOTAM.

Wait, is that a crosswind entry?? Oh my goodness you know you can die doing those!!! ;)

The AIM says you have to do a 45 entry entry :D:D:D;););)

I keep DOING a 45 degree entry. It just confuses everybody.

130nm straight in for me.
236 heading out of H88. I've stopped there 5 times for fuel on my way to/from Gastons. The only time I didn't is when I went south afterwards last year.

hey its a board fly in, we can make our own arrival procedure right? just like oshkosh, we make about a 20 page notam. piece o cake.

change FLP to Flippin. that makes it much more fun ;)
something should be put in there about calling gastons approach over the dam. and remember that even if steve is up flying he still has authority to send you out to the dam to re-enter the arrival. :rofl:
Page 13 of the Notam should be the menu at the restaurant!
ApacheBob

That's great!

I think we should have a mandatory initial call before reaching the dam. This weekend I heard several initial calls on downwind. With that much traffic a call up on downwind just isn't enough notice.
The pattern was pretty quiet at 7 am Sunday morning. Of course, by the time I saw the airport, I was on downwind.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Bob,

You can fly the Dam Visual RWY 24 approach, Osceola Transition. :rofl:

Last edited:
Not sure why Gaston has a different CTAF than The Valley, FLP or BPK. I asked about this when I moved here last year but no one knew. Sure would be nice if all used 123.0. There just isn't a lot of traffic in the area so I guess 99% of the time it's a non issue.

Back