THE CONUS FLYIN Starts TOMORROW

Chip: You said you can't claim your own airport but when I searched KLOM it said it was claimed by me? I don't recall claiming it but did enter it as my home field when I registered.

AdamZ said:
Chip: You said you can't claim your own airport but when I searched KLOM it said it was claimed by me? I don't recall claiming it but did enter it as my home field when I registered.
Adam,

I just checked KLOM and it says there aren't any claims on it. Apparently something is very wrong with the site. Can you check again and then email me with the result. I need to figure this out.

Thanks,
Chip

gibbons said:
Adam,

I just checked KLOM and it says there aren't any claims on it. Apparently something is very wrong with the site. Can you check again and then email me with the result. I need to figure this out.

Thanks,
Chip

Isn't web development fun?!

Chip so sorry it was my error I misunderstood my page in the site. All is OK. I have not claimed KLOM.

AdamZ said:
Chip so sorry it was my error I misunderstood my page in the site. All is OK. I have not claimed KLOM.
Adam,

No problem. Thanks for letting me know.

Chip

Y'all are starting to pick up the pace. Good, I like it. 17 done so far, 0.36%.

Should weather cooperate, I'll be claiming some today on my way home from Minneapolis.

Re: Tallahassee Commercial

Mike Schneider said:
I hope this bonafied claim will erase the red "claim denied" for 68J, next to my name <g>. -- Mike
Mike,
Just as soon as I write the code for it, I'm sure an administrator will delete that specific rejected claim and chalk it up to "learning curve."

Chip

I would today have posted my first claim except I bought the wrong USB cable for my camcorder. So it goes....

Now it looks like I will be making a flight down to San Diego so I will be looking forward to claiming some of those too.

But enough of this me telling you what I'm going to do....you'll see.

Allow me one more swat at the rules with a club please.

The "sole manipulator at the controls" means that an instructor flying with a student in the left seat should only get out and take a claim picture if:
  1. She takes the controls and does at least one landing, or
  2. Get the student to sign up for the Challenge
Right?

The reason I ask is I always have a lesson before the first solo cross country called Airport Hopping where the challenge is to find 3 or 4 airports, figure out how to enter the pattern and what to say on the radio.

Joe

Areeda said:
Allow me one more swat at the rules with a club please.

The "sole manipulator at the controls" means that an instructor flying with a student in the left seat should only get out and take a claim picture if:
  1. She takes the controls and does at least one landing, or
  2. Get the student to sign up for the Challenge
Right?

The reason I ask is I always have a lesson before the first solo cross country called Airport Hopping where the challenge is to find 3 or 4 airports, figure out how to enter the pattern and what to say on the radio.

Joe
Joe,

That's correct. The person claiming the airport must be the sole manipulator for the landing at that airport. Yesterday I flew a trip to Eagle, CO but didn't make the landing so I can't claim that airport. Encourage your students to sign up!!!!

Chip

SkyHog said:
The pictures don't have to include anything except the claim sign, and a landmark of some sort in the background. The pilot doesn't have to be in it, although nothing prevents the pilot from being in it.

IMHO, it should be required to have the plane in the picture too, otherwise I could stop and "claim" all of the zillion GA airports I only get to drive past. :(

It'd also be kind of cool to list folks who are based at each field to facilitate a get-together when somebody flies in to claim it! :yes:

flyingcheesehead said:
IMHO, it should be required to have the plane in the picture too, otherwise I could stop and "claim" all of the zillion GA airports I only get to drive past.

Yes there are ways to cheat the system. Yesterday I was driven to KWHP to pick up a club plane and ferry it back to KEMT, tempting to say "close enough". But it's too much like cheating at solitaire, what's the payoff for getting dirty? I think there's a bit of integrity assumed of the players.

flyingcheesehead said:
It'd also be kind of cool to list folks who are based at each field to facilitate a get-together when somebody flies in to claim it! :yes:

That's a real good idea.

Joe

So today I had a solo flight and I was going to claim one of the airports in the challenge and there was a student pilot (not me mind you) taking off rwy 5 when winds were favoring 23 and his CFI was like "Im his inst. and he must not have his radio turned up/on/correct freq...whatever the case was. So I just over flew the airport and headed back to my home base. :mad: If I could have had the plane a little longer I would have landed but my CFI wanted me back at 11.

jkaduk said:
Dammit. All of SoCal is available and my camera just broke.:mad:

Go buy a disposable camera then when you turn in the film ask for the picture cd option. Thats what I do when I don't have my digital camera around.

Guys I like the new pilot chart. You can tell who is doing what where fast

Wow Barb! Are you trying to do the whole state of MI agian? I wish I was flying as much as you. I've been working on the house for the last three weeks and not flying. Ma's leaving and Carolyn is comming so I need to get the plane and use this as an excuse to get to know all the local (paved) runways. Wish I could hit the grass ones too.

Missa

Everything I've done so far is within spittin' distance of home and some of them have good restaurants.(I like food):yes: . And I'm liking this "Challenge" thing, never dare me to do something.:D Plus I figured I better get some of the grass strips done before it starts to snow--any week now.

Barb

jkaduk said:
Dammit. All of SoCal is available and my camera just broke.:mad:

I know how you feel. My plane has been having overheating problems since it got out of annual. I've been planning all these $100 burger runs but they have to wait untill we find out why it's getting so hot.

Hanging out at the airport on a gorgeous day but unable to fly your airplane is really depressing.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Go buy a disposable camera then when you turn in the film ask for the picture cd option. Thats what I do when I don't have my digital camera around.
Oh I have a film camera. But that would be like renting a 152 instead flying the Bo.

What about airports that are closed? P27 and L04 are shown as available, but are permanently closed according to Airnav. I've seen the X's at L04 myself.

jkaduk said:
What about airports that are closed? P27 and L04 are shown as available, but are permanently closed according to Airnav. I've seen the X's at L04 myself.
John,

Thanks for the heads up. I've deleted both airports from the database. In addition, I applied the most recent changes in airport identifiers, names, and cities - so the database should be current now. Let me know if you find anything else.

Chip

I've added a menu item called "Site Stats" (available only if you're registered and logged on) which shows the current counts and lists claims and targets from most recent to oldest. I'll continue to add to the lists as I have time. I'll also try to add a map to each list.

Chip

This is an excellent idea!! I look forward to traveling to new places and meeting new people during the challenge.

Good luck to all! Go get out and fly!

Jason

JRitt said:
I bumped us over the 1% mark today

You're also giving Barb a run for her money!! Good job!

BTW - does every airport in Kentucky have that sign? Its like the road sign when driving in, and I think that is awesome if they do. New Mexico should do something like that.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention here - there are forums up at that goflyamerica.org. They require registration also, and its not tied to the site, but they're there for any questions y'all may have.

I wish the plane was up and running. 3700 miles on the motorcycles and we passed by at least two dozen out of the way little airports in the sticks. A few nothing more than dirt strips with a windsock.

So yesterday I was going to Ocracoke, and then would also claim Manteo. Wx said no, so my flying buddy and I went to Ocean City, MD for a great day at the beach. Didn't take the camera because I was doing Ocean City today with the hubby. Well, I went VFR (it was a day at the beach, for goodness sake) and about 10 miles out from OXB, after descending to 1000' to avoid clouds, this black wall said "no go". :no: So I turned around and went to GED. Had lunch, and claiming the airport. The crud never left the beach, but I did get to give a good friend's hubby and daughter their first ride in a "little" airplane. And the hubby enjoyed his ride, too!

Kaye

(shucks, my connection is too slow, can't claim the airport with picture...will have to wait till I go back to work to submit :mad: )

Last edited:
Back