THE CONUS FLYIN Starts TOMORROW

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
BE A PART OF HISTORY

Monday, August 14th is the day it starts. We have over 4700 Public Use airports in the Lower 48 United States, all with a blank slate, waiting for you to come claim them.

I'll save most of the details, because all of the information is available at www.goflyamerica.org . Remember!! The password MUST be in the pictures to be a valid claim. The password can be found at the top of the website (it shouldn't change).

So....GO FLY AMERICA! (Or GO FLY, AMERICA...one of the two).

A Big thank you goes out to Chip Gibbons for setting up the website. He stepped up and worked non-stop getting it done. His work is much appreciated. Don't let his work be in vain - come on out, claim some airports!

Last edited:
Nicely done. I've signed up; just waiting for the confirmation e-mail so I can go start claiming some of those airports!

Nick is the purpose of this for the members of the challange to hit all the airports collectivley or for one person to hit all the airports?

Diana said:
Nice web site Chip. :)
Gracias. Thanks everyone for your help testing it. I sure hope it works :hairraise:

gprellwitz said:
Nicely done. I've signed up; just waiting for the confirmation e-mail so I can go start claiming some of those airports!
Grant, be sure and check your junk email folder. If you don't receive a verification email soon just drop me an email (from the contact us page) and I'll take care of it.

Chip

AdamZ said:
Nick is the purpose of this for the members of the challange to hit all the airports collectivley or for one person to hit all the airports?

Collectively I believe.

AdamZ said:
Speaking for Nick... yes, this is a team effort.

Well, when my plane and I reconnect in September I will have to hit some airports in Montana before I come north :yes:

Hmm, and S27 -> KJAC is only three hours or so...last one to Jackson Hole buys the lattes. And I can touch and go at Henry's Lake and West Yellowstone on the way back.

Last edited:
Could I request an option to have a place (an "other" category?) where users can add to a list of additional airports "hit" which are not on the list? For instance, if someone gets permission to land at a private airstrip, or heliport... just to have that triumphantly recorded somewhere. Plus it would be nice if the Alaskans and Hawaiians could participate (just for fun).

--Kath

Can I just add that this web site is totally awesome? Thank you.

--Kath

Guys, this is SO cool.

Amazing folks as cool as you even talk to me.

You will still talk to me, won't you?

kath said:
Could I request an option to have a place (an "other" category?) where users can add to a list of additional airports "hit" which are not on the list? For instance, if someone gets permission to land at a private airstrip, or heliport... just to have that triumphantly recorded somewhere. Plus it would be nice if the Alaskans and Hawaiians could participate (just for fun).

--Kath

I am working on some forums for the site. Perhaps I can add in a "Custom Claims" area. Not a bad idea!

You should also sweet talk an av gas supplier or someone into sponsorship. Get us a CONUS card and/or discount.

Nick great job, and Chip WAY TO GO!!!

Can I suggest (or even help) in contacting the major GA magazine/publications (AOPA, Pilot Gateaways would be all over this, Plane & Pilot, Atlantic Flyer, etc.) - my guess is this is bigger than PoA?!

Just my 2 cents.

Re: Help!

Mike Schneider said:
I can't find the "make a claim link" on the web site. Can anyone point me to that link. I have photos of two airports, but don't have a clue as what to do next. I have registered at Chip's web site and my account has been activated. Thanks. -- Mike
On the top of the site, click on "Airport Search", then enter the identifier of the airport you want to claim, then hit search. On the top, right side of the page that comes up, under airport status, it says "Submit a claim", click on that and put in your info.

Mike, I get them just fine. Are you sure you are stayig logged in? If you are not properly logged-in, the buttons do not appear.

Seems sort of obvious, so apologies in advance...

Mike Schneider said:
P.S. Can anyone out there get the "submit a claim" and "target this airport" buttons when you punch in TLH?
Apparently Diana could, because she targeted it at 3:03 PM.
Targeted By: Diana Richards (08MO) Targeted: 8/14/2006 3:03:33 PM
But that doesn't take away the buttons. I still see them.

Mike Schneider said:
Can anyone out there get the "submit a claim" and "target this airport" buttons when you punch in TLH?
Oops, I not only got the buttons, I targeted the airport. :redface: Maybe Chip can "untarget" the airport for me.

Diana said:
Maybe Chip can "untarget" the airport for me.
Actually, Chip, giving the pilot the ability to untarget a targeted airport would be worthwhile, in case their plans change. Also, in your free time :rofl: the capability to search for airports based on status (claimed, unclaimed, targeted), perhaps within a radius, will be helpful.

I've got one question. How are we supposed to get a picture that is enough of a close-up to be able to read the password and still be able to see the background well enough to be able to identify the airport?

Nick said the targeting of aprts will automatically time out in one week if the aprt is not claimed within that period.

Mike, I found I was having problems like you say, I think my log-in timed out, or maybe it was just I who timed out. I strongly think the former but leave room for the latter. Go back and check log-in status.

Mike Schneider said:
Well, wouldn't you know it! I can get that, just below the google map. I just want the "claim" button to TLH.
That's close in that it uses radius, but it isn't filtering by type. OTOH, it isn't hard to scan a list of no more than a couple of hundred entries manually looking for whichever status one is interested in. That's why it is a "nice to have". Another "nice to have" would be a count on the home page showing how many have been claimed!

Did I mention that Chip's done a GREAT job on this site? If not, I'm mentioning it now! GREAT JOB!:yes::yes::yes:

How about a US map that you can zoom into sections of it and have the airports in Green (open) yellow (targeted) red (claimed). And maybe a running total

Good ideas from everyone.

- Mike, you can't claim or target your home airport. I see where TLH is your home airport, so those links don't show up for that one. I was going to include a link here where we made that clear in the web site - but we didn't. Nick has asked that it be added to the FAQ and I'll go that when I get home. Sorry for the confusion. I rejected the second claim and I'll delete the entire record when I get home. [edit] - I intended to have a message "You can not claim your home airport" where the claim and target links normally appear, but I forgot. Guess I should have done that. :)

I did make a map showing all of the airports by status but it takes FOREVER to load. Instead, I'll have a "status" page soon that gives information about how many airports are claimed, how many are targeted, etc.

I agree that there is a need to be able to limit the search by type - "show only claimed airports", "show only available airports", etc. I'll work on that one later.

Targeted airports do roll off after a week or when a claim on that airport is approved. Still, the ability to delete a target is probably a good one. I'll work on it but it won't be a high priority.

As for the photo, I'm finding it to be a bit more troublesome than I thought it would be. It's not easy to get a photo of you, your airplane, the sign, and the airport and make the sign readable. This is something Nick will need to think about I guess. I do like the idea of having the photo, and I'll be claiming some airports when I get back off this trip. I'm just taking a photo of the airport and the sign. http://www.goflyamerica.org/images/rules_examples.jpg

I added the ability to select a distance for the airport search but I still have the number of airports limited. So if there are more than 200 airports within your xx mile search, only the nearest 200 will be listed. I'll fix that later too.

We do have a problem with the site (at least it looks like we do). I really don't want more than PoA types hitting it until I know for sure it's working correctly.

Thanks everyone for playing along, and thanks for the suggestions. Just give me a little time to work out the details on the site.

Chip

ps.... I thought it didn't rain in Tucson.

I want a GO FLY AMERICA window sticker.

*I want...*

I mean, it would be nice if GFA stickers were available for purchase.

Oh yeah, I didn't make it off the ground today so CA is still wide open to y'all. This includes you, Michael.:yes:

gibbons said:
Good ideas from everyone.

- Mike, you can't claim or target your home airport. I see where TLH is your home airport, so those links don't show up for that one. I was going to include a link here where we made that clear in the web site - but we didn't.
Chip

Dang.

I woulda made him let me land the plane, if I'd known that!

I may have to make one time around the pattern on Wednesday, when I leave, just for claiming purposes!

Mike: Nice ride!

Good job Mike in being the first!!

The pictures don't have to include anything except the claim sign, and a landmark of some sort in the background. The pilot doesn't have to be in it, although nothing prevents the pilot from being in it.

That should make it a lot easier, and I'm sorry about the confusion there.

SkyHog said:
Good job Mike in being the first!!

The pictures don't have to include anything except the claim sign, and a landmark of some sort in the background. The pilot doesn't have to be in it, although nothing prevents the pilot from being in it.

That should make it a lot easier, and I'm sorry about the confusion there.

I haven't actually seen any of the 'claim' photos, so this might already be taken care of: Is it possible to provide the "authentication photo" to support the claim, but use a separate photo of the pilot & landmark, aerial photo, etc. of the airport for 'display' purpose? It might make it a little more personal to go browsing through the claimed airports.

-Chris

Hey Nick and Chip, GREAT job putting this together.
Now I do have a question...all y'all aren't trying to con us are you :rofl: :D :eek:

CJones said:
I haven't actually seen any of the 'claim' photos, so this might already be taken care of: Is it possible to provide the "authentication photo" to support the claim, but use a separate photo of the pilot & landmark, aerial photo, etc. of the airport for 'display' purpose? It might make it a little more personal to go browsing through the claimed airports.

-Chris

I like this idea.

That way there is "proof" of the claim, but the person who claimed it could instead have a more personalized picture showing.

Part of the challange is to get out and visit the aiports and meet the people. Any good photographer will find LOADS of amazing pictures to take (such as a line of derilect planes at that out of the way airport or the amazing FBO operator who runs the place), you know things that really make the airport personal.

This is going to be a long term task so is it possible to have POA put it on the home page? So if we get new members they can see it and it won't get lost in the other post.

Great job guys.

Bob

Oh yeah.... By the way....

GREAT JOB!!!!

-Chris

SkyHog said:
BE A PART OF HISTORY

Monday, August 14th is the day it starts. We have over 4700 Public Use airports in the Lower 48 United States, all with a blank slate, waiting for you to come claim them.

I'll save most of the details, because all of the information is available at www.goflyamerica.org . Remember!! The password MUST be in the pictures to be a valid claim. The password can be found at the top of the website (it shouldn't change).

So....GO FLY AMERICA! (Or GO FLY, AMERICA...one of the two).

A Big thank you goes out to Chip Gibbons for setting up the website. He stepped up and worked non-stop getting it done. His work is much appreciated. Don't let his work be in vain - come on out, claim some airports!

Shoot, yesterday I went to an airport in MN I've never visited before, but didn't take a picture. But I suspect I'll be back there in a couple weeks anyway since it's where I dropped my daughter off for a two week language camp.

Hey Mike,

Gonna be kinda hard to claim all the airports in your home state when you can't claim your home airport, eh?:(

Mike Schneider said:
Well, wouldn't you know it! I can get that, just below the google map. I just want the "claim" button to TLH.

Hmm..This looks like a good excuse to buy a digital camera.

Hey Nick, can I claim this? :yes:

A friend of mine met us at an airport we claimed and took me and a friend out for ice cream.

Attachments

• Handel.jpg
    Handel.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 55
bluesky74656 said:
Hey Nick, can I claim this? :yes:

A friend of mine met us at an airport we claimed and took me and a friend out for ice cream.

If that picture is of an airport you flew to that hasn't already been claimed....sure - submit it!

Back