The CAF wants to restore a C-47 that lead the way on D-Day

Isn't there a DC-3 TP spraying for skeeters down in the Keys???:dunno:

I believe there are a few. At least until a few years ago, there were still one or two radial powered ones doing the job. They were used heavily to spread dispersant after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

All DC3s- C47s are now very old. Wing spar problems and structural problems in general. The ones still flying are for the most part on borrowed time. The C130 seems a much more logical choice than the basler conversion. Watching buffalo airways series, it looked like joe was nearing the end of the road with his DC3s.

My friend was in the right seat of the C-130 Fire bomber that folded the wings. The C-130s that are available on the market aren't in better condition than the DC-3s.

Cool stuff for sure, but memorializing old stuff instead of building new stuff is what empires in decline do.

We still have other people building new stuff. Or haven't you heard?

Don't like the CAF's mission? Then don't join. Simple ****, really.

If it's a restoration, the cost is a secondary consideration to keeping the type alive. The VMT, with donors (including NorfolkSouthern) just completely restored steam engine 611 & is now operating it on excursions. Really was a terrific restoration - cost over $1 million, plus thousands of hours of volunteer labor at Spencer, NC. Original cost to build the engine: a little over $250,000.

If it's a restoration, the cost is a secondary consideration to keeping the type alive. The VMT, with donors (including NorfolkSouthern) just completely restored steam engine 611 & is now operating it on excursions. Really was a terrific restoration - cost over $1 million, plus thousands of hours of volunteer labor at Spencer, NC. Original cost to build the engine: a little over $250,000.

I saw that in the local newsfeed, was thinking about driving down for it.

Oh, here we go again. You are talking so much BS that you have no clue about.

Please educate the crowd on these DC-3 'Wing spar problems', Jimmy. As someone typed in the Gooney, I'd love to know!

Simply remembering what buffalo airlines mechanics explained and why , when joe retired, the DC3s would probably be retired. How much experience do YOU have in one? Probably not a lot. Typed means little.

I saw that in the local newsfeed, was thinking about driving down for it.

I went, It was fabulous.

If you're still in NoVa area, you can see it today - it's running excursion from Manassas to Front Royal. The afternoon departure leaves at 1:30 PM, returns around 5-5:30.

I've got tickets for an excursion next month.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 611_2.jpg
    611_2.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 611_1.jpg
    611_1.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 33
Simply remembering what buffalo airlines mechanics explained and why , when joe retired, the DC3s would probably be retired. How much experience do YOU have in one? Probably not a lot. Typed means little.

But your knowledge of reality show gossip trumps someone who is type rated in the aircraft. Got it.

Wow, that is a modern steam panel. I worked on an old unit for PSRRAMA in Campo CA, but it was a pre Art Deco unit.

Of course they do but at some point the structural decay plus the large amount to reengine them makes no sense.

I think Bassler Turbo would strongly disagree with you. You should stop by their shop in Oshkosh and see the airframes in their yard.

Ah yes, reality TV as a reference featuring an operator who recently wrecked one of his DC-3s because he loaded it well over gross. I see.

So please tell me, Jimmy, where the wingspar on a DC-3 is? The one that suffers from structural problems? I can't seem to find it in any of my references.

I really don't have a lot of hours in Goonies, it's true. Just enough to know your talking out of the orifice in your posterior...and your breath stinks.

I believe there are a few. At least until a few years ago, there were still one or two radial powered ones doing the job. They were used heavily to spread dispersant after the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Yeah, there were a couple of 3s and 4s hanging around Houma IIRC for a long time tanked and equipped with spray bars for dispersant duty. Somebody said that it was an Edison Choest operation, but I question that, do you know?

Back