The Blue Angels will be down a jet

Re: The Blue Angles will be down a jet

Yeah know...I am going to get slammed for this by some, but there are actual reasons the Army and Marines fight to keep woman out of combat roles and mixing the units, and it does NOT have anything to do with them being "weaker".

Talk about a morale killer, and possibly career one as well.

You can't necessarily help who you fall in love with (or serious like) and all the rules in the world won't change that. The best management can hope for is that it won't negatively affect performance. It usually does, and it isn't always pretty.

Well, I guess that puts a different "angle" on the Angels.

HR

You can't necessarily help who you fall in love with (or serious like) and all the rules in the world won't change that. The best management can hope for is that it won't negatively affect performance. It usually does, and it isn't always pretty.
In this case, unfortunately, it will probably turn quite ugly for the participants. And that is a shame - I have been a big fan of the Blue Angels (and the Thunderbirds) since I was a kid. And that's a long, long time. :)

The military has clearly defined rules for conduct among members of all units and squadrons, not just those with a high-profile. I'm sure the participants knew the consequences, but probably did not appreciate the effect those consequences may have on other members of their team.

Yeah know...I am going to get slammed for this by some, but there are actual reasons the Army and Marines fight to keep woman out of combat roles and mixing the units, and it does NOT have anything to do with them being "weaker".

Talk about a morale killer, and possibly career one as well.
You saying because men can't control themselves women should be kept out of jobs that they may want? That is a pretty silly argument to make and rather insulting to men. I take offense to the accusation. Maybe you cannot control yourself and that is your business but do not lump me into that world. I have served with women and never once felt the need to drop what I was doing to go jump them.

If these pilots broke rules then that is their wrong doing, no one else's, and it is certainly not an indictment of an entire gender group.

The things we do for love......

You saying because men can't control themselves women should be kept out of jobs that they may want? That is a pretty silly argument to make and rather insulting to men. <snip>
If these pilots broke rules then that is their wrong doing, no one else's, and it is certainly not an indictment of an entire gender group.

What he said! :yes:

I think it shows a lot about the character of both individuals that they can't be professional enough to follow the rules. I know you can't pick who you fall in love with, but for heaven sakes the Angels post isn't a lifetime post so why blow all the work you've put in all those years when you can just wait until this particular duty assignment is over?

+1... Contrary to popular belief, men are not all pigs. :devil:

Last edited:

I'm guessing the likely reg broken was the one which prohibits 'fraternization' between Officers (pilots) and Enlisted (ground crew) personnel. Relationships within a unit are strongly discouraged, but I don't remember them being against regs.

I'm guessing the likely reg broken was the one which prohibits 'fraternization' between Officers (pilots) and Enlisted (ground crew) personnel. Relationships within a unit are strongly discouraged, but I don't remember them being against regs.
In addition to that there is the supervisor to subordinate relationships that are discouraged as well.

"STUNT PILOTS!" Guys bust their backsides as a flying miltary officer and make their way up the very narrow path to the top of the pyramid to be accepted in the most elite military air demonstration team in the world to be called a "Stunt pilot?"

Why can't the Blues move up #7? I guess it's toolate in the season to practice everything with the team.

BTW, it's not going to be too hard to see which blue is no longer there whether they release the name or not.

So, I wonder which one was inverted during the head to head maneuver...

Last edited:

Man we really need to take away Scott's youtube priviliges....

In the mean time your pennance is to watch this ten times, Scott.

Scott has been successfully "Rickrolled" :)

Almost certainly the rule broken was the prohibition on adultery (covered by Article 134 of the UCMJ) -- most if not all the pilots are married, and not to anyone else in that squadron. Note that if the team is "down a jet," and a man and a woman were involved, and both were in the squadron, and all the pilots are male, then one pilot and one non-pilot were involved. In addition, since there are female officers in the squadron, it wasn't necessarily an O-E issue, although if it were, that would make it worse for the officer involved, especially if the woman were one of the officer's direct subordinates. In any event, the Navy expects more of those selected for this prestigious and highly visible position than to create this sort of problem for the unit, and the organization is no doubt very upset over the betrayal of that trust.

Last edited:

On the Blue Angel's season on the TV documentary. The incoming flight surgeon on Boss Foley's team was a female.

On the Blue Angel's season on the TV documentary. The incoming flight surgeon on Boss Foley's team was a female.
CDR Foley's tour ended two years ago. According to the Blue Angels' web site, the current CO is CAPT Kevin Mannix, their only female officer is their Admin Officer, and the Squadron Flight Surgeon for the last two seasons is male.

Last edited:

You saying because men can't control themselves women should be kept out of jobs that they may want? That is a pretty silly argument to make and rather insulting to men. I take offense to the accusation. Maybe you cannot control yourself and that is your business but do not lump me into that world. I have served with women and never once felt the need to drop what I was doing to go jump them.

I think its more along the lines of keeping both genders away from each other, that way this can't happen.

Men were there first.

What he said! :yes:

I think it shows a lot about the character of both individuals that they can't be professional enough to follow the rules. I know you can't pick who you fall in love with, but for heaven sakes the Angels post isn't a lifetime post so why blow all the work you've put in all those years when you can just wait until this particular duty assignment is over?

I'm with all of you on this. If you can't keep it in your pants, what else can't you do?

...and these SONGS! Jeez man...you're killing me...what's next, Muskrat Love?

Ummm....errrrr...ahhhh...that was kindof a good one there actually. Saw him live decades ago with the first wife. He put on a good show. Of course, I went and saw George Michael with the next wife and really liked him too. Sometimes I wonder about myself....

Ummm....errrrr...ahhhh...that was kindof a good one there actually. Saw him live decades ago with the first wife. He put on a good show. Of course, I went and saw George Michael with the next wife and really liked him too. Sometimes I wonder about myself....

I think we may have identified the reason for multiple wives. :ihih::D

Okay, I'm dating myself, but I actually remembered them all until Bob posted his! Marry Banilow! :eek:

Oh give it a rest will ya. There is a massive amount of evidence that men and women, together, under stressed situations for long periods of time, can lead to sex. It is not the sex that is the problem it is the resulting mess, usually morale and unit cohesion destruction, that is the fear. If you have served you know this and are choosing to ignore it, if you have not then you do NOT understand, as the military is NOT the civilian world and cannot truly be understood unless it is lived.

BTW, do not assume it is the man that cannot control themselves! ;)

BTW, do not assume it is the man that cannot control themselves! ;)

I follow your entire argument, and agree that the military environment is more stressful than the civilian world, and can lead to ... deals. However, in regard to your comment above, I'd say "it takes two to tango". If you end up in the sack, in the situation originally referenced, then both individuals had a problem with self-control (which the Navy doesn't want in a pilot!). Further, I feel an officer has an added expectation of ability to regulate emotion inside regulation.

Back