The Best Panel CO Detector

I had researched just about everything I knew to research before we bought the old 182. The very first thing we bought was not a tablet or fancy headset or whatever...it was a CO Monitor. I put two small strips of Velcro on the panel and just slap it on there. We leave it in the plane until it gets cold and then keep it in the flight bag.

We are using the Sensorcon which lists for $129 on Amazon. Reading your link, I do wonder now if it reads properly at higher altitudes. We rarely fly above 5500msl but maybe by then it is not accurate enough.

I do know this, as soon as we turned it on and started the plane it was immediately obvious that during idling and especially the runup with windows open in the summer...the CO level will come up and fast. We have seen numbers temporarily in the high teens. During cruise never reads more than 2 or 3 but usually just 0 or 1. Once again though, maybe its not correct at lower than atmospheric pressure? I like the feature to trap the highest reading. And it will not turn off if bumped. No wires and it seems the battery will outlast the calibration expiration.

I've got no skin in the game any one CO detector or another. However, my wife knew a couple that died on a winter flight and CO poisoning was the suspected cause. So we use one now, always.

Back