The Best Commander Fly-In Yet

rpadula

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
PancakeBunny
Hey everyone, I finally made it to a fly-in with my own plane! Last weekend, well over 50 other Commanders and their owners & spouses (and at least two dogs) converged upon Cape Girardeau, MO for the annual Commander Owners Group fly-in (local news story here).

The weather was CAVU, but the winds were awful. The 112 models are usually derided for their lack of speed, but having 30+ knot headwinds from that giant Low that dumped all that snow on MI & NY made for a long ride. I averaged about 90kts groundspeed flying from Atlanta to the Cape, and it took me right at 4 hours to get there. On top of that, just west of Shelbyville, I encountered pretty good and constant turbulence that basically lasted for the entire second half of the trip. Somehing about the terrain seemed to set it off. Facing a Hobson's choice of either climbing higher to suffer even worse headwinds or going lower to get beaten up worse, I just tightened the seatbelt, slowed down to Va, and sucked it up.

As I saw CGI, I thought "Hey, I'm flying west of the Mississippi." Barely. Then I had a worse thought: "please don't let me F up the landing in front of all the other owners!" Positive thinking (and that great trailing link landing gear) prevailed and I greased it on.

This event also marked the one year anniversary of Commander Premier Aircraft selecting CGI as its home base of operations. It was great to see all of the jigs and materials purchased out of bankruptcy set up and nearly ready to get to work again.

We were also treated to two safety presentations by ASF's own Bruce Landsberg. Thank you, Bruce, for the great discussions.

But perhaps the best treat was to see the STC'd Super Commander. Aerodyme's Jim Richards has engineered a 320-hp Lycoming IO-580 installation onto the 114/115 and it is studly. At 75 kt. demonstrated climbouts, it had a 20 degree pitch up that looked so much like jets I've seen taking off. I'm not joking. With this, and the very popular Hot Shot turbo normalizer for the 112's, the Commander portfolio is expanding nicely.

On the flight home, the winds were still there, so I had a 40+ knot tailwind and a nice smooth ride at 7 and 9000, with the picture to prove it. A landing right at sunset after a 2 1/2 flight capped the day.

Enjoy the pics.

-Rich

Attachments

• FlockOfCommanders.JPG
    FlockOfCommanders.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 52
  • CommanderHQ.JPG
    CommanderHQ.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 46
  • BruceL.JPG
    BruceL.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 40
  • SuperCommanderEngine.JPG
    SuperCommanderEngine.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 48
Two more pics. Gotta prove the groundspeed. :) And that's Chattanooga in the background on the other one.

-Rich

P.S. Just realized something -- note the intersection shown on the GPS: BUNNI! I was flying the BUNNI2 arrival, which has us pass through DUMBB and BUNNI.

Attachments

• GoodGS.JPG
    GoodGS.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 68
  • SelfPortraitShadow.JPG
    SelfPortraitShadow.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Cool beans. When did you go to Cape? I was going through the area Friday afternoon. Going from central Iowa to Montgomery, Alabama with a stop in Kennet, Missouri (about 50 miles S of Sikeston, MO). Don't remember hearing 'more than normal' Commanders on with Memphis Ctr. Also came back through the area Sunday around lunchish.

You were fighting the winds that were helping me while going from Kennet, MO to Birmingham, Alabama. 224kt GS at 9500'MSL!! YEEHAW!

-Chris

Attachments

• DSCF0211.JPG
    DSCF0211.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
Chris, I landed at the Cape at 1:30 PM. I see by your other write-up that you arrived in MO at 6PM. By that time, we were all in the downtown brew pub. :yes:

-Rich

Great story, Rich. Sounds like a gas.

First time I've heard about a Commander since the AOPA giveaway.

rpadula said:
And that's Chattanooga in the background on the other one.

P.S. Just realized something -- note the intersection shown on the GPS: BUNNI! I was flying the BUNNI2 arrival, which has us pass through DUMBB and BUNNI.

Should have popped in to say hello, we were home all weekend. And yes, I love flying the BUNNI2 arrival.

I wanna hear more about this 320HP STC!

1. Can it go into a 112?
2. Is there any gross weight increase?

The idea of a Commander's comfy cabin and outstanding ergonomics (can you say, "two doors?"), coupled with serious horses, sounds awful nice!

What kind of speeds are they seeing?

We were discussing the winds aloft forecast for GGI in the chat room a couple of nights ago. Should have made a screen shot of it...6000' 230 @ 85 !

Bill Jennings said:
Should have popped in to say hello, we were home all weekend. And yes, I love flying the BUNNI2 arrival.
Hehehe, maybe I should petition the FAA to change the first fix to PNCAK :D

-Rich

SCCutler said:
I wanna hear more about this 320HP STC!

1. Can it go into a 112?
2. Is there any gross weight increase?

The idea of a Commander's comfy cabin and outstanding ergonomics (can you say, "two doors?"), coupled with serious horses, sounds awful nice!

What kind of speeds are they seeing?
Spike,

I'm not sure if the 112's will get the IO-580. The better bet for the 112 may be the Hot Shot turbo.

I did overhear talk of putting the 260-hp IO-540's coming out of 114's undergoing conversion into 112's. There are some issues of firewall strength in the 112. The structure was beefed-up in 1976 when the 114's came out. Even though the engine is 320-hp, it is often cut by intake and exhaust inefficiencies. Jim sure seemed to spend a lot of time solving details like that. Hearing Jim Richards talk, he's an engineer's engineer, so if there's a way, he'll figure it out.

I don't think there will be a GW increase. There's more to it than lifting the extra weight with the increased thrust; wing and landing gear strength need to be analyzed, too.

The good news is I think they were seeing 170-180 kts. Not sure of the exact number.

-Rich

Great looking airplane. I always felt the commander had a big plane persona in a small planes body. Thanks for sharing the pics and story.

I had a pal there. He said the company is now owned by... Commander owners which is doubly cool because they are doing a thriving parts biz and hope to put out some new planes shortly. (they barely saved all the jigs from meltdown for scrap; a serious event for a model)
He also said they will have the first certified install of Cheltons artificial vision system; cutting edge for GA!

Let'sgoflying! said:
I had a pal there. He said the company is now owned by... Commander owners which is doubly cool because they are doing a thriving parts biz and hope to put out some new planes shortly. (they barely saved all the jigs from meltdown for scrap; a serious event for a model)
He also said they will have the first certified install of Cheltons artificial vision system; cutting edge for GA!

Isn't our own Bill Suffa one such stakeholder?

Bill, you heard it here first: "POA Web Board Discount"!

A 180 knot Commander: that's my idea of a good idea!

Yes, I am. Small one, but one none the less.

Heck, WE don't get discounts....

The guy who's putting the big engine in the 114 says it's a superb performer. Expensive, though, I think the upgrade is a significant part of the cost of a regular used airframe. And it isn't turbocharged, which is necessary to start to get my interest.

wsuffa said:
Expensive, though, I think the upgrade is a significant part of the cost of a regular used airframe. And it isn't turbocharged, which is necessary to start to get my interest.

Bill, if the performance rose to that kind of level, it might still be viable; what else could match it in terms of cabin size and utility?

I never appreciated just how roomy and ergonomically-pleasant the Commander single is until I looked at yours up close when you flew up here to visit w/ Dave and Andrew.

Hey guys, long time no see.

Dave, who was your pal at the fly-in? Good chance I bumped into him. I'm not sure if the owners saved the jigs from imminent scrapping, but that certainly could've been one outcome. Even if they never build another one, parts availability is a big plus.

Still a little undecided about the Chelton choice. I hear it's good, but wonder about their status as the #3 provider in the GA glass marketplace behind Garmin and Avidyne. Then again, I really wonder about the longevity of glass in our piston-pounders anyway, but that's another discussion.

I heard the Super Commander upgrade would be in the neighborhood of $90k. Where's the icon for "wallet screaming?"

-Rich
/also a small shareholder in the new Commander!

rpadula said:
Where's the icon for "wallet screaming?"

-Rich
/also a small shareholder in the new Commander!

At that price, it's done screaming... It's now bleeding. :)

IO-580 huh? Awesome.

Back