The benefit of going to 6Y9

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
Ok, so hanging out & camping with other pilots is a great time. Number 1, no one sez we're boring for talking about flying.:rofl:

On the flying skills side, it seems I've improved after the Pickett-Grooms experience. Last night I went up for a little night proficiency work along with testing autopilot repairs. My night vision was lousy and I had to ask tower to turn up the lights just so I could see the runway. Anyway, the landing was still smooth as glass as have been all my touchdowns since leaving 6Y9.

I don't know but maybe I've got to go back to 6Y9 every year for the real-life short field landing practice? Well, that's something I wanted to mention for future fly-ins. The mountain flying class at Windwood made me think that maybe a short-n-soft session at 6Y9 would be a good thing.

Short field is good but 6Y9er won't be so short soon and its not really soft well at least not during the cook out.

Short field is good but 6Y9er won't be so short soon and its not really soft well at least not during the cook out.
6Y9 is no longer short. You should see it this year. It reminded me of 32L/14R at KORD!

Ok that is a little bit of an exaggeration. But seriously, it is the no longer the 'wee' runway from when they first opened, nor is the 'not so wee' runway of last year.

200x130_marriedanaxemurderer.jpg

It frinkin' huge now!

6Y9 is no longer short. You should see it this year. It reminded me of 32L/14R at KORD!

Ok that is a little bit of an exaggeration. But seriously, it is the no longer the 'wee' runway from when they first opened, nor is the 'not so wee' runway of last year.

200x130_marriedanaxemurderer.jpg

It frinkin' huge now!
I understand that Ed gets that a lot! :cornut:

If I and my bulldozer have our way we'll be darn close to 3000ft next year.
It will be ditched so water drains a little sooner making it useable earlier in the spring.
The displaced thresholds will be in the same location so instead of 400 and 400, it will be 500 on the east end(28) and 700 on the west end (10).
Most of you don't need it but I'll feel safer about it as sometimes we get somebody that just drops in. Just a little margin of safety for those who may be a little rusty on there landings and shortfield T.O.'s.
Another bonus is for me to work on my tan with the extra runway to mow:cool2:.
If I win the lottery I may go for the world's longest grass runway, anybody know what that might be?

I've heard stories that Howard Hughes kept a 10,000 foot long grass runway that he flew a 707 from. hope you hit it big Brad

I just think Brad is a bulldozed addict :D

It just keeps getting longer every year. Enentually it'll be long enough to land a Grumman on ;)

Back