The Beech Electric prop - the first one was WOODEN!

brian]

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
brian]
Found on a post found here - sorry, not sure if it is a public site, but I keep stumbling upon it - excellent information:

www.matronics.com / archive / archive-get.cgi?Beech-Archive.digest.vol-ad

I think you will find that the group on this email list will have no problem agreeing that the early series Bonanzas are the nicest handling, least expensive, and most fun of the Bonanza line, if not the fastest. The E-series engine has its faults, but if you are nice to it (and feed it lots of oil), you will be rewarded with long and dependable service.

The Beech Bonanza propellers are an interesting story and I hope I can tell some
of it correctly.

When the Bonanza was being developed, Walter Beech wanted the best performance possible from a new engine developing about 165 hp., so he had to go to a constant speed prop to do it. Beech had been using the Curtis design electrically controllable pitch propellers with good success on its war models, and it was adapted for the new Bonanza. A small electric motor changes the pitch of the propeller blades (instead of hydraulic pressure from motor oil, regulated by a pressure governor). The electric pitch motor is controlled by an up/down toggle in the cockpit.

The first was the R200 series wooden propeller. The prop pitch change motor is mounted quite a ways back, and has a long drive shaft that engages the ring gear that changes the blades' pitch. Legend has it that this was the most efficient propeller ever made for the Bonanza. These are only used on the model 35 and A35. The blades were BIG. 88" in diameter. Wide. 11" across, I think. A note here -- the electric pitch change mechanism was NOT a "constant speed prop." it was an "electrically adjustable prop." The engine's rpm will drift over time, meaning that you had to manually ajdust the pitch using an up/down toggle switch to maintain the same rpms. YOU were the constant speed governor.

Beech did introduce an electronic pitch governor unit, and it *did* make the system a constant speed prop, but it was an option that cost more money. Something like $495 back in the 50's, if I remember correctly. Not everyone coughed up the extra dough. The original Beech electric prop governor unit made by Flight Research (not THAT Flight Research) is a cantankerous marvel, using vacuum tubes and light sensors to maintain the propeller's rpm. The system is tricky to repair, and, like everything else, the parts are hard to find. Airborne Electronics, a company in N. Calif., came out with a solid state electronic governor unit that replaces the original one, and is a zillion times more reliable. (I have it and it is brainless to install and use.)

The next series was the B200. The electric motor that changes the props' pitch is mounted right next to the ring gear, and the hub is beefed up a bit, larger blade bearings were used, and there were some other changes. The engine that Beech used wasn't 165 hp. after all. It was a 185 hp. E185-8 (ad later, the E185-11) engine. Still used the same birchwood propeller blades, though. I think the wooden blades are subject to a 100 hr. repetitive AD forcing them to essentially be refinished every 100 hours. (Correct me, guys, if I am in error here). So, even though getting replacement wooden blades would probably be relatively easy (just have a new set made), the AD makes them very expensive to maintain.

In 1954, Beech offered a new beefier engine -- the E225-8. The fancy new 215 series propeller came out, to go with it, and had the same electric prop pitch change system, but with a few improvements. The blades are the biggie. They were aluminum. Still 88" long, but something like 8" wide. The aluminum blades were such a hit that they also became usable on the B200 series hubs, but not the R200. The aluminum blades are *NOT* as efficient as the original wooden ones, but only by something like 1%, so the experts say. With the new E225-8 engine, you could use 2600 rpm on takeoff (for one minute), and at that speed, the 88" prop was getting pretty close to the speed of sound. A recommendation was made to trim the blades from 88" to 84", reducing the tips' speed enough so it didn't scream so much. Earlier takeoff limits were, I think, 2300 rpm, so this was a BIG improvement for the ever-heavier airplanes and their payloads.

Beech made changes to the type certificate so you could retrofit the aluminum blades on earlier models if you wanted, and practically everyone did. 88" aluminum blades for the E185-11 engine, and 84" blades for the E225-8 engine. (A little empirical data here -- My 1954 E225-8 powered E35 Bonanza originally had the 84" blades on it, and I had to have 'em replaced. Found an 88" set, and put them on without trimming them. I can do that with the E35 model. My data showed that the additional 4" of prop disc gives me about 2 kts higher speed. So there's another 1-1/2% loss most of the planes suffer)

In 1957, Beech changed the engine (again) from the E225 series to the IO-470 series. This engine has the hollow crankshaft capable of using a hydraulically controlled propeller pitch mechanism, so they discontinued the Beech electric propeller, developed the Beech 278 series prop for the Hartzell controller. Unsubstianted claims state that the 278 series propeller loses, again, about 1-2% efficiency over the previous (215-series) blades. But, since there was a more powerful 260 hp. engine, nobody cared. Hartzell also developed a hydraulic pitch governor for a set of Hartzell blades which was a direct swap for the Beech B200 / R200 / 215 series propellers, so those that wanted nice, smooth, trouble-free constant pitch could have it. So, lots of people switched to the Hartzell blades/governor, and they were in ignorant bliss until a few years ago when the onerous AD came out requiring a mandatory 5,000 hr. (or X years?) inspection. Lots of folks found out that their props were in poor shape (Surprise! See what 0 maintenance over 10 years will do?). Once the AD is complied with, the Hartzell is again trouble-free and you won't have to give it another thought.

HOWEVER, The Hartzell conversion is a nightmare of parts that are different from a "normal" hydraulic prop system, and the installation guides are, in some places, vague. In other places, they are incorrect. Who knows how many units were damaged by inexperienced mechanics? If you have this system, you NEED to get the back issues of ABS magazine, and read, nay, memorize all of Lew Gage's "Currents" columns dealing with the Hartzell propeller installation and service. The Beech electric props, on the other hand, have never had an AD against them, although the recommended service time is a removal and inspection every 250 hours, and an overhaul every 1,000 hours. The big bugaboo is parts availability. Beech 84" and 88" 215-series blades are very hard to find. Something like $4,000 if you do. The little electric prop pitch motor that looks like it comes out of a SkilSaw costs something like $400 to overhaul. The pitch change bearing is unique, and replacement cost for this little devil is over $1,000 -- when you can find it. So, like so many other brilliantly-engineered wonders, the Beech electric prop is slowly fading away mainly due to lack of parts, not poor performance.

I've never seen one of the wood props, but I was aware that they existed. There are pictures floating around the internet of them.

I still believe that the Hartzell MV prop is the most supported and maintainable prop for the early planes. They're not cheap though, a new one from Hartzell costs around $34k. If you need a prop for one of the old E series Bonanzas you're best off either scrapping the plane or hoping you can find a servicable used prop.

I've never seen one of the wood props, but I was aware that they existed. There are pictures floating around the internet of them.

I still believe that the Hartzell MV prop is the most supported and maintainable prop for the early planes. They're not cheap though, a new one from Hartzell costs around $34k. If you need a prop for one of the old E series Bonanzas you're best off either scrapping the plane or hoping you can find a servicable used prop.

As it turns out, I'm in the process of buying an 88" electric right now. It has been overhauled earlier this year and I'm having a shop that knows the Beech 215 look it over before I close on the deal. (This includes all the extras.)

Actually, I found 3 serviceable 88" props for sale the day I found out mine was no longer serviceable (another story I'll post later - once I know the conclusion of the story). Anyway, I chose the one with the most recent OH - and it turned out to come with several other items (spares) I wanted to have in the hangar if something should break.

I have a few other minor things I want to do to the aircraft - including a 430W upgrade (I have a 430) and then I'll just fly it until I get news from my A&P I don't like. I'm hoping for 10 years, then I'll likely become an RV flyer.

The early spitfire had a wooden prop. It wasn't long before wooden props were phased out as the metal prop was much more efficient and durable.

You got some of it right, some close. There's a plane at my field which is SN 4 and has the last set of flying wood blades in the country. They are not reproducable by anyone in the prop business, although the owner may have a set made up if he want's to keep using it. The wood blades are not more efficient than the metal ones.

There is an engine SN prefix on the E185 and E225 engine which identifies the crank as having 6th order harmonic dampers. Any engine without this balancing damper is limited to 196HP at 2450 RPM(one min). The engines with the harmonic dampers are suitable up to 2650(not 2600) for one minute. The E185-11 put out 205HP for one minute, and can use the 84" or 88" blades. The E225 engine can use the 84 or 88" blades but only on the C35 and later airframe(a lot of early airframes have them installed anyway). The early airframe model 35-B35 are not rated for the 88" blades but I used them for years.

The later hub is the 215 model. The pitch change bearing has a lube schedule that must be done every 5 year or 500 hours(I think). The Hartzell splined MV prop for the E series engines is a bit of a bugger. It has a remote hyd prop drive with external hoses, and a leaky diaphagm which has a nasty AD on it. The earlier non-MV prop has an eddy current AD requirement. NEVER send it the hub or clamps to Hartzell for certification because they reject 100% of them, so they can sell a new hub. There are shops that will re-cert them with the inspection.

Although the 88" prop blades are sought after, I've found the 84" prop to be better on take off and climb. The 88" in a true cruiser. It has a natural harmonic vibration at 2050-2150 which is where I like to cruise anyway. The 88" blades should be cruised below 2050 or above 2200 for best smooth operation.

I forgot that the original designers of the prop were Roby and Burnham. Roby made the hub and Burnham was the blade guy. Roby designed the 200 and 215 for Walter Beech and he shared the patent with Roby. Roby also designed hubs and props for other planes of the 30s and 40s, but the Beech was considered the best of his breed. It is a very fine piece of engineering and build.

Interesting...

I do know one small detail though: the -35 with the E-185-8 must have 86" (assembled) or longer blades. 88" preferred. (Very interested in your references otherwise.) Here is how I found out - hinting at where I'm at now:

- I did the pre-buy thing and got some advice from some fairly smart beech guys
- good engine, etc. Paint a little weak.
- the prop was a bit of an unknown, but recently OH'd so we didn't worry about it much

I flew it for 100 hours.

- went in for my annual a month ago and asked my beech gurus to really go over the bird
- they found a few things and I had a few extras done (e.g. a little early, but rebuilt struts added a quick drain, front seal, re-rigged the flight controls, etc.)
- Full lube including the quick 100 hour lube on the bearing. About 90 hours to go for the 250 hour lube.
- Assembled the bird and did a run - up.
- Got a call from my mechanic - they found a vibration!

Prop went to one of the few shops that know about the Beech 215

- One blade of the prop was assembled out of spec
- it was an 84" prop - see below
- More to the story - but if I find the guy that OH'd my original prop - well, I'll be paying an attorney to be sure this doesn't happen to someone else.

So - I had an A35 and a different C35 beech owner (both A&P's) review the A777 type certificate: with the E-185, the 88" prop (86" minimum) is all you are allowed to run on a -35 (not including the Hartzell prop. (I would be interested in your references for the 88" prop not being allowed on the early models.) If you run a E-225 on the front of a -35, then you can fly the 84" prop.

Luckily, I had been wanting a spare prop - just in case - and had a few phone numbers ready to go. Took me more time to get call backs than to find 3 88" props in serviceable condition.

PS - I think I know the bird you write about with the wooden prop. I was hoping for more updates from the guy that was reversing the upgrades on that bird - TOO COOL. (Did he ever install the old AM radio? Did he find one of the antenna's for that radio?)

The Hartzell splined MV prop for the E series engines is a bit of a bugger. It has a remote hyd prop drive with external hoses, and a leaky diaphagm which has a nasty AD on it. The earlier non-MV prop has an eddy current AD requirement. NEVER send it the hub or clamps to Hartzell for certification because they reject 100% of them, so they can sell a new hub. There are shops that will re-cert them with the inspection.

I think you've got things confused between the controllable pitch Hartzells and the constant speed Hartzells. The controllable pitch props were the ones with the diaphragm you speak of. There is no diaphragm on the constant speed units. There are also no recurring ADs on the constant speed MV props and new parts are still readily available (although expensive). That's the reason I say the constant speed MV prop is the best choice of the bunch, it takes the least amount of work and money to keep afloat.

brian];1602498 said:
- Got a call from my mechanic - they found a vibration!

Prop went to one of the few shops that know about the Beech 215

- One blade of the prop was assembled out of spec
- it was an 84" prop - see below
- More to the story - but if I find the guy that OH'd my original prop - well, I'll be paying an attorney to be sure this doesn't happen to someone else.

I had a deal like that on mine, only with a Hartzell. Let's just say that not all prop shops are good prop shops. The shop that originally screwed up my prop was good enough to stand behind their work and provide replacement blades (overhauled, not new) but it still took them three sets before they produced a set that was acceptable by my preferred prop shop.

To be honest, I think the E-Series 35s are some of the best aircraft flying - but I also believe we are the last generation that will be flying them. I'm not so sure we will run out of parts, but we will run out of good prop guys. In the time I've owned my airplane, I've noticed 3 other new owners on Beech Talk with prop issues - 2 with one of the Hartzell's and 2 of us with the Beech 215.

I think you've got things confused between the controllable pitch Hartzells and the constant speed Hartzells. The controllable pitch props were the ones with the diaphragm you speak of. There is no diaphragm on the constant speed units. There are also no recurring ADs on the constant speed MV props and new parts are still readily available (although expensive). That's the reason I say the constant speed MV prop is the best choice of the bunch, it takes the least amount of work and money to keep afloat.

That diaphragm was fitted to both the controllable and the CS prop for a range of SNs. The earliest range CS Hartzell with the T-drive oil governor are affected. It's in note G or H or something of the Hartzell service bulletin. I can't recall, it's been 12 years since I did the last one, but they are out there. Meh - maybe they're all out of service now? I doubt it, but it was a crappy setup so they may all be gone now.

brian];1602498 said:
Interesting...

I do know one small detail though: the -35 with the E-185-8 must have 86" (assembled) or longer blades. 88" preferred. (Very interested in your references otherwise.) Here is how I found out - hinting at where I'm at now:

Well, we're getting into the real minutia now, but as I recall, you can use the 88" blades, but they are limited to 2300 revs on the model 35. I don't know why, but somewhere in the TC it's listed as retrofit for the 1947 and early 48 planes with the E225 can't use the full range of power(although everyone does) allowed. The vibration I mentioned has to do with the 84" blades, but they can be used, just not within that RPM range.

Sorry, I didn't google, doing from memory.

brian];1602538 said:
To be honest, I think the E-Series 35s are some of the best aircraft flying - but I also believe we are the last generation that will be flying them. I'm not so sure we will run out of parts, but we will run out of good prop guys. In the time I've owned my airplane, I've noticed 3 other new owners on Beech Talk with prop issues - 2 with one of the Hartzell's and 2 of us with the Beech 215.

The SAE 20 spline is dead. No one will ever build a hub for it again. Whatever we have is what we have.

However, there are still some folks out there flying the D-18, and the Staggerwing. With modern metal technology, I've had one un-serviceable hub repaired with metal spray, and as long as the spline will still fit tight, we've got a lot of years left on these hubs.

The weak link as you noted is the pitch bearing. Bearings aren't able to be sprayed, or 'rebuilt' although I've heard that new balls can be fitted to some bearings. I have two pitch bearings left, and I'm hoping that someone somewhere will commission a run of pitch bearings. We need to get an order of about 150 going to make it profitable last time I checked. It may be closer to 200 bearings now that most bearing mfg has gone overseas. I looked into it once, and the up front cost was way out there. At some point, I'm hoping that ABS will publicize a pitch bearing campaign. I know I would sign up even though I have two spares. both of them are on the edge of certification.

That diaphragm was fitted to both the controllable and the CS prop for a range of SNs. The earliest range CS Hartzell with the T-drive oil governor are affected. It's in note G or H or something of the Hartzell service bulletin. I can't recall, it's been 12 years since I did the last one, but they are out there. Meh - maybe they're all out of service now? I doubt it, but it was a crappy setup so they may all be gone now.

Interesting. This is the first I've heard that they were used on a CS prop. I've never seen one, I'd presume they must be rare by now if any exist.

Cowboy, you comments are appreciated.. Just cross-checking what I think I know as I'm about to spend some dough... In the end, I'll have 2 serviceable pitch change bearings as well. Thanks - Brian.

The early spitfire had a wooden prop. It wasn't long before wooden props were phased out as the metal prop was much more efficient and durable.

I think most Spits came with wooden prop's. The ones I see on the airshow circuit today still have 'em...

If you read jeffery quills book ,( he was a test pilot for spitfires during WW2, he flew them all, every model from late 30s till wars end. ) They got rid of wooden props very early. They just are not efficient as a metal prop. I've never seen a wooden prop on a spitfire either in pictures or in the two I've seen up close.

I've never seen a wooden prop on a spitfire either in pictures or in the two I've seen up close.

JSJ_PC_Supermarine_Spitfire_prototype.jpg

That isn't a prop - it's a TELEPHONE POLE!!

brian];1603205 said:
That isn't a prop - it's a TELEPHONE POLE!!

When you have 12 cylinders of Merlin swinging it you need a telephone pole:)

If you read jeffery quills book ,( he was a test pilot for spitfires during WW2, he flew them all, every model from late 30s till wars end. ) They got rid of wooden props very early. They just are not efficient as a metal prop. I've never seen a wooden prop on a spitfire either in pictures or in the two I've seen up close.

The two Spitfire owners I've conversed with (in person with Kermit and electronically with Bill Greenwood) had wood prop's on their airplanes as did many wartime Spitfires, apparently depending on which factory the aircraft came from.

Google is your friend, but here are some links:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/...re-mk-vii-viii-and-ix-plus-x-xi-xvi-aircraft/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57426-spitfire-vb-rotol-propeller-blades/

http://www.warbirdalley.com/articles/spitfire-flight-report.htm

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?77470-Questions-on-Spitfire-Propellers-(merged)

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=292536

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=27190&start=15

I'll go with quill who actually flew them. The one pictured is a very early one, before they got wise. A wooden prop at altitude , say 25000 feet in a dog fight just is not gonna get it. You can see by the size of the one pictured that's it's like high button shoes, lousy design, cumbersome, inefficient.

Last edited:
I'll go with quill who actually flew them. The one pictured is a very early one, before they got wise. A wooden prop at altitude , say 25000 feet in a dog fight just is not gonna get it. You can see by the size of the one pictured that's it's like high button shoes, lousy design, cumbersome, inefficient.

Some Spits did have metal props. But back to wood prop's...

Here's another link. Scroll down and you'll find a picture.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=28272&page=5

And another. Enlarge the picture to see the splintered prop blades.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/85375/search-spitfire-parts-after-crash

There's a really good picture of splintered blades on a wartime spit with a 3 blade prop about 25% down this page:

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageN...5/Lower-than-a-Snakes-Belly-in-a-Wagon-R.aspx

Many German WWII fighters (including ME-109's and FW-190's) also had wooden props.

Sorry about that, I stand corrected. Rereading I found that the spitfire went from plain wood to metal to composite. After 1940 or so dowty made a wooden prop impregnated with resin then put under pressure, Apparently due to lack of metal during wartime. Many still fly with the composite prop and one company will make one for you. It's a metal hub with composite blades same as described above. Very strong, but far different from the first spitfires built which were simply wood props like a j3 cub prop. Apparently the composite prop was copied from German props .

Lets be clear about what we're talking about when we say "wood props".

This photo is the prototype Spitfire with a one piece fixed-pitch wood prop. This was a very high pitched prop picked for top speed, obviously it had a performance penalty on take off.
Later marks had either 2-speed or constant speed all metal props or the wood blade props.

According to my book "Spitfires and Polished Metal-Restoring the Classic Fighter" by Graham Moss. The first 75 production Spitfires were fitted with the two-bladed fixed pitch wood props by the Airscrew company.
Later marks had the de Havilland two-pitch or the constant speed 3 blade metal props.
Rotol also made props for the Spitfire, which were either a 3, 4 or 5 blade prop with wood blades and metal hubs.

In fact, some years ago at Oshkosh I remember seeing a crashed unrestored Spitfire on a flatbed with busted wood blades. I know I have a photo of it back in my files, I'd have to dig for it though.

I have one Roby series extremely rare wooden propeller. I plan on listing it to help me pay my training in flight school on eBay to those who know the beauty and rarity of this propeller. How much do you think they would go for since very little exist. The one I have is about in as perfect shape for how old it is, as it can be. Original stickers, serial numbers and all from beachcraft and roby?

What's old is new again: MT electrically controllable CS prop made of wood composite.

I flew a Fairchild 24 with a mechanical Beech Roby prop with wood blades. Had a little hand crank on the dash.Took quite a few turns to change the pitch much. Worked really well. Don

Just a WAG here:
- if the prop is not airworthy - then it would be for display only and might be worth (guessing) $500 or so.
- if the prop is or can be made "airworthy", then you might get some weirdo like myself interested and the price goes up - but not sure by how much

The wooden ones have an AD for 100 hours - but that was decades ago.

Who knows - would be interesting to know what happens...

Here are a few photos I snapped for you guys. I wish I could have archived the hours on it through the serial number but good luck for me to ever find that. Would be awesome.20170914_121123-01.jpeg 20170914_121301-01.jpeg 20170914_121135-01.jpeg

All the bolts inside are still there and if I had the money laying around that collector has hubs available I could have purchased!

I have a spare serviceable hub. (And a red-tagged hub.) But I don't have anyone I know who might legally build a prop from these blades.

You might try one of the following:
- call one of the prop shops that still works on these props to see if they know someone that might want these blades
- post on beech talk and see what the collective wisdom is on these blades.

I only know of one bonanza flying a wooden prop right now - so a serviceable one would be interesting. Here are some prop shops - google will get you a number:
- Stockton propeller in California
- M&M propeller in Yukon Oklahoma

The trick is to find someone interested enough and crazy enough with the money to hang the prop and fly it to KOSH. I have the polished 35 with most of those boxes checked. But I'm not quite crazy enough without a prop shop pretty much blessing the prop. 88" of old wood on a 205HP motor could result in an off field landing.

(Another thought would be to call the beech museum in tulahoma TN to see if they might be interested.)

I'll throw a low ball offer of $800 plus shipping.

Last edited:
Non metal blades in controllable props were not unheard of. Hartzell made wooden blade adjustable props and even plastic blades. MT still makes wooden adjustable props. There are a slew of modern plastic/carbon fiber ones out there as well.

Non metal blades in controllable props were not unheard of. Hartzell made wooden blade adjustable props and even plastic blades. MT still makes wooden adjustable props. There are a slew of modern plastic/carbon fiber ones out there as well.

Just wish I could get a carbon fiber one to hang on an A35.... I guess someday I'll just have to buy a modern airplane ....

I have a spare serviceable hub. (And a red-tagged hub.) But I don't have anyone I know who might legally build a prop from these blades.

- call one of the prop shops that still works on these props to see if they know someone that might want these blades

I only know of one bonanza flying a wooden prop right now - so a serviceable one would be interesting. Here are some prop shops - google will get you a number:

The trick is to find someone interested enough and crazy enough with the money to hang the prop and fly it to KOSH. I have the polished 35 with most of those boxes checked. But I'm not quite crazy enough without a prop shop pretty much blessing the prop. 88" of old wood on a 205HP motor could result in an off field landing.

(Another thought would be to call the beech museum in tulahoma TN to see if they might be interested.)

Do your two Hubs go to this specific propeller? I highly doubt it airworthy at all and more on the centerpiece side. But I'm not going for pretty on a hub but if you have one for sale that be pretty neat to add to it if I just end up keeping the thing

Do your two Hubs go to this specific propeller? I highly doubt it airworthy at all and more on the centerpiece side. But I'm not going for pretty on a hub but if you have one for sale that be pretty neat to add to it if I just end up keeping the thing
I meant my propeller is more then likley nothing more then a centerpiece not your hubs lol

The serviceable one isn't for sale, and I would probably shoot at anyone trying to touch it ...

Let me look at my service manual to be sure my red-tagged hub will accept those blades and compare to my partial "spare prop". If it looks promising I'll shoot a pic and send it over the weekend. Let me double check the crack with a friend to ensure the red-tag was not in error. (The difference between a serviceable hub is a serviceable one is $500 - ask me how I know that one! Oh - and I'll only part with the hub - no ring gear and definitely not the spare $3K pitch change bearing! That bearing is nearly a unicorn.)

If the tag holds - you pay shipping. It's junk otherwise...

The serviceable one isn't for sale, and I would probably shoot at anyone trying to touch it ...

Let me look at my service manual to be sure my red-tagged hub will accept those blades and compare to my partial "spare prop". If it looks promising I'll shoot a pic and send it over the weekend. Let me double check the crack with a friend to ensure the red-tag was not in error. (The difference between a serviceable hub is a serviceable one is $500 - ask me how I know that one! Oh - and I'll only part with the hub - no ring gear and definitely not the spare $3K pitch change bearing! That bearing is nearly a unicorn.)

If the tag holds - you pay shipping. It's junk otherwise...
You are friggin awesome and that's awesome of you. Everything I have which isn't much I was raised poor and trying to work my butt off to make something of myself as a pilot but it's all priceless to me. I buy them because it's neat and I love aviation so much so thank you and let me know...my fingers are crossed that it does...make my day for sure!

I've never seen one of the wood props, but I was aware that they existed. .
It's called a beech robey (sp) a guy in Fallon Nv, makes parts and supports them he owns the production certificate.
OBTW it has a huge AD on most of them. has to do with blade retention.

Back