The basic steps in Diversion

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
What steps do you use to do a diversion (Assuming not using a gps)?

Thank you for asking this question, I was thinking the same thing.

Can you explain a little better what you mean by diversion?

Do you mean you chose to land at a different airport once you take off? Or do you mean you just heard that there are jumpers in your path, and you want to go around?

"NC19143 wishes to deviate south 15 miles for weather".

ATC will answer with an approval .. or not.

"NC19143 wishes to deviate south 15 miles for weather".

ATC will answer with an approval .. or not.

I think he means once you get off your flight plan, what do you do to get back on it? Just using your chart and looking outside, or do you calculate anything?

Sorry I meant for VFR diverting to a different airport.

It depends on when and why you are diverting.

Is it an emergency?

Weather related?

Low fuel?

Mechanical issues?

Hungry?

The services you are needing at the time will determine which airport you need to divert to.

Same way you'd find the original destination. Take your best guess towards the field and then work out how to navigate there based on your navigational equipment (pilotage, dead reckoning, VORs, etc....).

Hit "Nearest" button on your GPS and it will locate all airports (you set the parameters) near you and the distance and direction of travel. From there you can look at each airport and assess the services they have to meet the need you have. The Garmin 496 has the AOPA information on each airport. Fuel, crew car, hotels, food, ect. Great info in the air.

Last edited:

In the few training cross-country flights that I've flown, I usually have a divert plan before getting off the ground (to the extent possible at that time).

I break up the planned route into segments and for each segment I try to find the best answer to the question "if I'm at this point int the route, at this altitude, and i have to divert, what airpot would I go to?". Then, I mark those alternate airports on the chart along with a "segment-range".

I also try to prepare for emergency situations by answering the question "If the engine quits (or some other emergency where flight cannot be continued) at this particlar point along the route, at this altitude (AGL), what is the surface area that a somewhat efficient glide range would give me?". The answers are obviously not always airports, but some surface or place that would be worth trying in an emergency landing. Essentially i have this imaginary gliding-range-circle area along planned route, on the chart.

I'm aware that in flight things might change and i'd have to re-adjust, but it gives me a starting point when there is a need to divert or emergency land. Don't really know how good or not so good this is, but it's what i do at this point.

Hit "Nearest" button on your GPS and it will locate all airports (you set the parameters) near you and the distance and direction of travel. From there you can look at each airport and assess the services they have to meet the need you have. The Garmin 496 has the AOPA information on each airport. Fuel, crew car, hotels, food, ect. Great info in the air.

lol, he didn't ask how you would actually do it, he asked how you would answer the question on a checkride.

Sad that those are not the same thing. Oh well.

He asked how to do it WITHOUT a GPS.

For the checkride, you have to estimate distance, heading and fuel burn, fairly quickly. Assume only head/tailwinds, and then only if significant. Read bearing off your chart. Circle if you can't do it quickly. If you know the destination, you can head in that direction. Most importantly, estimate. Avoid the E6-B while in flight unless it's going to make a difference. PTS is only five minutes -- very loose for winds. Getting the speed right is much more important.

Having said that, my checkride diversion went like this:

Q: Which direction is Napa?

A: That way [points], over Oakland.

Q: How far?

A: Just under 50 miles [I'd rejected a cross-country there a few days earlier, and knew this offhand].

Q: How long to get there?

A: At 100 knots at low altitude, 30 minutes.

Q: How much fuel?

A: This aircraft burns 10 GPH low altitude, full rich, so 5 gallons.

All this from memory. Took 30 seconds. Though I hadn't realized it was a diversion until after the second question (I thought I was being asked about general orientation).

Back