The American Sailor

I knew the Navy was better than the Air Force.

Too bad the math was off..... The caption said it was the 231st birthday of the Navy, and that the concert was in 2006. 2006 - 231 is 1775. But the Navy was disbanded and did not exist after 1789. It was recommissioned 11 years later. There is another branch that is the oldest continuous sea going service.....since 1790. Just sayin' :D

But still a great performance by talented musicians of the junior sea service, and masterful narration by the late Mr. Borgnine.

Last edited:
Too bad the math was off..... The caption said it was the 231st birthday of the Navy, and that the concert was in 2006. 2006 - 231 is 1775. But the Navy was disbanded and did not exist after 1789. It was recommissioned 11 years later. There is another branch that is the oldest continuous sea going service.....since 1790. Just sayin' :D

But still a great performance by talented musicians of the junior sea service, and masterful narration by the late Mr. Borgnine.
Wouldn't ya think, both of our sea going services have American Sailors? Actually it should be "America's Sailors" because you do not need to be American to be "America's sailor"

Wouldn't ya think, both of our sea going services have American Sailors? Actually it should be "America's Sailors" because you do not need to be American to be "America's sailor"

You are absolutely correct. But us puddle pirates have a long felt inferiority complex!!! :lol:

:rofl: Actually it was the cooking of the WesPac widows........ :D
They all lived in CA. and you can't smell anything there except cars.

Last time I flew into the LA basin it was like descending into a mud puddle.

but the coasties have a different job now.

They all lived in CA. and you can't smell anything there except cars.

Last time I flew into the LA basin it was like descending into a mud puddle.

but the coasties have a different job now.

Actually it is the same old story...not a different job, just another one.

Navy making fun of Coast Guard: You sail in shallow water.

Coast Guard making fun of Navy: I bang your wife.

Ummmmm.

Navy making fun of Coast Guard: You sail in shallow water.

Coast Guard making fun of Navy: I bang your wife.

Ummmmm.

:rofl: It's an old and much beloved argument. In the real world, and among adults, most recognize that each has their own mission and each has their strong and weak points. I would have gladly joined the Navy, but it turned out I wanted to be among real sailors.....and my parents were married. :D

:rofl: It's an old and much beloved argument. In the real world, and among adults, most recognize that each has their own mission and each has their strong and weak points. I would have gladly joined the Navy, but it turned out I wanted to be among real sailors.....and my parents were married. :D

but were they still cousins after they were married? :D

Hey, now.... The way I see it, I wasn't allowed to join any of the non-ocean-going services because my parents were married.... The only one that I COULD join was Navy, because I knew how to spell my name. :D

Hey, now.... The way I see it, I wasn't allowed to join any of the non-ocean-going services because my parents were married.... The only one that I COULD join was Navy, because I knew how to spell my name. :D

Yeah, they gave us those stencil thingys to sign our names, sure saved time. :thumbsup:

I'll bet they had you stencil it above your shirt pocket upside-down so you could look down and read it, right? :D

Of course not, what a ridiculous idea. I stenciled it backwards on my forehead and covered it up with my hat so I could just sneak a quick peek in the mirror now and then.....duh. :nono:

Of course not, what a ridiculous idea. I stenciled it backwards on my forehead and covered it up with my hat so I could just sneak a quick peek in the mirror now and then.....duh. :nono:
Ah - that old trick. Gotcha. Did you think to stitch a small mirror into the inside of your hat? :rolleyes:

That's why the shallow water sailors look up to the deep water sailors. Glad to be able to help.
:rolleyes:

Umm actually we're the tall ones, remember??? :D

All kidding aside, a lot of our facilities were sited on a NAS. Most of the Navy folks I met were pretty great people......but man we took some, (good natured), crap!!!!

Umm actually we're the tall ones, remember??? :D

All kidding aside, a lot of our facilities were sited on a NAS. Most of the Navy folks I met were pretty great people......but man we took some, (good natured), crap!!!!
LOL - my wife just got a kick out of me reading her this whole exchange, so she'd get why I was laughing so hard!

I never encountered any Coasties, not many of them ventured where submarines go... ;) But yes, all kidding aside, Thanks for your service, shipmate!

Who remembers how to "trice up"?
who has:
lived in a barracks barge?
chipped a deck?
used waterless cleaner?
crossed the foul line?
rigged the barricade?
hidden behind the Island?
Crossed ***** river bridge?
fell into a cat walk?
tried to find an open bomb elevator at night?
I could go no but...

Sweepers sweepers, man your brooms. Give the ship a clean sweep down both fore and aft. Sweep down all lower decks, laddar backs and passageways. Place all trash in recepticals provided for on the pier. Sweepers.

General quarters. General quarters. Man you battle stations. Up foreward port, down aft starboard. General quarters.

Turn to, commence ships work.

God, the 1MC will stay with me forever, I think.

Last edited:
How many have sat back laughing their butts off while the skipper sent the noob to another boat to borrow their keys to the sea chest? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Back