The amazing cryogenic JPI EDM 930

Did you or your mechanic have to do any harness building/pinning that could have gotten reversed? The JPI manual does a good job of not referencing positive or negative for the thermocouples but the red wire on traditional thermocouple wiring is the negative one and in some measurement systems when the positive and negative are reversed the indicated temperatures will go down instead of up.

Only the OAT wires. We have checked them for correct continuity.

I don't want to reread the thread, but did you ever make sure the engine is properly grounded?

I don't want to reread the thread, but did you ever make sure the engine is properly grounded?
I believe we did; the ground strap is properly installed and we have confirmed good ground continuity between engine and airframe with less than 0.5 ohm resistance between any points.

I believe we did; the ground strap is properly installed and we have confirmed good ground continuity between engine and airframe with less than 0.5 ohm resistance between any points.
Might want to undo the strap and brighten up the contact surfaces on both ends. Can't hurt.

None yet really - I was traveling the last few days and JPI have not replied to me email asking for an update. I will try and call them tomorrow.

I did fly a lot over the weekend. The behaviour continued to be intermittent. On one of 6 flights, it worked perfectly. On two flights it barely worked at all. On the remaining three it worked properly over 50% of the time.

You skipped pulling tubes and going down to the drug store to use the tube tester :D
I had my own tube tester. I often fixed friends and neighbors TVs. First diagnostic was a slap. If that helped I assumed a tube was flaky and brought out the tube tester.
Sometimes while pulling tubes I would see a blown capacitor or resistor. If it wasn't tube or a visible issue, I gave up. But most of the time I was successful.

Often people would give us their old non-working TVs. My younger brother and I would take them apart, piece by piece and sort and store tubes, capacitors, resisters, power supplies etc. We took up most of the family room with our work bench. We often had a good part on hand to fix most tvs or radios. It was a fun way to pick up a little spending money.

Reading through this makes it almost certain to be a grounding issue.
1) The system has worked as expected, so no wire polarities are reversed.
2) The broken times affects ALL probes at the same time and to the same degree. Only thing they should all have in common is the ground wire.

This is going to be an interrupted ground issue. It could be that the ground path is fine but that something is vibrating to be in contact with the ground path messing it up. So when you look at the ground wires and connectors they are fine, but it is really something nearby causing the issue.

As previously stated:
This is a fascinating and frustrating problem.

Back