THE absolute stupidest airplane movie

I forget the name of the movie but IIRC AF-1 was hijacked and someone transferred onto it from another plane in flight to save the day.

I forget the name of the movie but IIRC AF-1 was hijacked and someone transferred onto it from another plane in flight to save the day.
"Executive Decision"

That actually started out as a GREAT movie - Steven Seagal gets killed real early! After that, it got dumb.

Turbulance with Ray Liotta and Lauren Holly was pretty bad.

They were circling the Seattle airport, and the bad guy opened the door and threw one of the passengers out. He aimed for the control tower or the terminal and hit his target. Probably no wind that day. LOL

I think I'm more disappointed in the fact that you thought that would be a decent movie.

One of the very worst was " hellcats of the navy" starring Ronnie and Nancy Reagan. ( Ronnie got a deferment, stayed in Hollywood during WW2.)

Check again.

After completing fourteen home-study Army Extension Courses, Reagan enlisted in the Army Enlisted Reserve and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Officers Reserve Corps of the cavalry on May 25, 1937. Reagan was ordered to active duty for the first time on April 18, 1942. Due to his poor eyesight, he was classified for limited service only, which excluded him from serving overseas.

He was assigned to AAF Public Relations and subsequently to the First Motion Picture Unit (officially, the "18th Army Air Force Base Unit") in Culver City, California.

While with the First Motion Picture Unit in 1945, he was indirectly involved in discovering actress Marilyn Monroe. He returned to Fort MacArthur, California, where he was separated from active duty on December 9, 1945. By the end of the war, his units had produced some 400 training films for the AAF.

Check again.

After completing fourteen home-study Army Extension Courses, Reagan enlisted in the Army Enlisted Reserve and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Officers Reserve Corps of the cavalry on May 25, 1937. Reagan was ordered to active duty for the first time on April 18, 1942. Due to his poor eyesight, he was classified for limited service only, which excluded him from serving overseas.

He was assigned to AAF Public Relations and subsequently to the First Motion Picture Unit (officially, the "18th Army Air Force Base Unit") in Culver City, California.

While with the First Motion Picture Unit in 1945, he was indirectly involved in discovering actress Marilyn Monroe. He returned to Fort MacArthur, California, where he was separated from active duty on December 9, 1945. By the end of the war, his units had produced some 400 training films for the AAF.

Now you've gone and ruined little Jimmy's entire day. :D

Facts are hard.

As compared to your hero Billy Clinton who ran away to Oxford....

No.....compared to yours , who starred in flying leathernecks, but in truth got a deferment for flat feet and stayed home. "Tough guy, " John Wayne. My hero was Jimmy Stewart. I also include george McGovern.

After completing fourteen home-study Army Extension Courses, Reagan enlisted in the Army Enlisted Reserve and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Officers Reserve Corps of the cavalry on May 25, 1937.
I have it on good authority (his son) that Ronald Reagan did not like to fly. It was something he had to overcome when he decided to run for Governor of California.

His Vice-President, on the other hand, knew how to fly an airplane.

1401383813938.gif

"Executive Decision"

That actually started out as a GREAT movie - Steven Seagal gets killed real early! After that, it got dumb.

The other saving grace is Kurt Russell actually is a pilot...it's the bomb that is ridiculous. Hollywood loves to make bombs complicated.

One of the very worst was " hellcats of the navy" starring Ronnie and Nancy Reagan. ( Ronnie got a deferment, stayed in Hollywood during WW2.)
"Hellcats of the Navy" is a bad aviation movie the same way that "High Noon" was a bad aviation movie, e.g., they aren't about aviation. "Hellcats" is about submarines, not the Grumman fighter.

Ron Wanttaja

I just put this in my NetFlix Queue.
Kids go to bed in t-minus 7 minutes.

Then it is on. I will give it a go.

Although right away, I can see it has some pretty stiff competition

attachment.php

Attachments

• flight.jpg
    flight.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 141
My hero was Jimmy Stewart.
Stewart was a great movie pilot, yes; but perhaps the best-qualified of them all was actor-comedian Bob Cummings. He soloed a Travel Air biplane in 1927; was a Colonel in the USAF; flew his own Beech 18 in one sitcom series and his own Molt Taylor Aerocar in another. His middle name was "Orville", for his godfather, Orville Wright. Oh, and he was the very first person ever to be certificated as a flight instructor by the US Government. Yep, CFI #1.

John Wayne wanted Cummings to be his co-star playing the part of Captain Sullivan in The High And The Mighty, but director Wellman wanted Robert Stack instead.

The other saving grace is Kurt Russell actually is a pilot...it's the bomb that is ridiculous. Hollywood loves to make bombs complicated.

Yep, back in the day he had an A-36 and he and Goldie Hawn used to fly into Avalon and have lunch at the airport and hang out a bit. He's a real nice guy, she's a sweetheart as well.

"Hellcats of the Navy" is a bad aviation movie the same way that "High Noon" was a bad aviation movie, e.g., they aren't about aviation. "Hellcats" is about submarines, not the Grumman fighter.

Ron Wanttaja

Well, there you go. Cast an army guy in a movie about the navy -- it's bound to get messed up.

The exposed yet functional hard drive on the bomb was what made that movie

Stewart was a great movie pilot, yes; but perhaps the best-qualified of them all was actor-comedian Bob Cummings. He soloed a Travel Air biplane in 1927; was a Colonel in the USAF; flew his own Beech 18 in one sitcom series and his own Molt Taylor Aerocar in another. His middle name was "Orville", for his godfather, Orville Wright. Oh, and he was the very first person ever to be certificated as a flight instructor by the US Government. Yep, CFI #1.

John Wayne wanted Cummings to be his co-star playing the part of Captain Sullivan in The High And The Mighty, but director Wellman wanted Robert Stack instead.

Jimmy Stewart got to fly a B-58 in an AF video, you can find it on You Tube. He's a very qualified pilot.

So I'm watching this movie.
Quick question. Does a 757 have independently moving yokes?

There's a lot of one guy steering and the other yoke is motionless.

Also there is a lot of both pilots manning the yokes together

Well they're navigating by radar so don't worry about the yokes.

Well I finished it...

So many questions and twists.
And the M.Night Shyamalan flip at the end totally threw me.

There are just no words....

none.

I noticed this initially
and after having watched it, the only true event I think it might be based on is that this thread stated the movie exists.

attachment.php

Attachments

• _TrueEvents.jpg
    _TrueEvents.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 124
Well they're navigating by radar so don't worry about the yokes.

Yes they were.
I also noticed at least THREE explosive decompressions on the same plane.

Well maybe 2 she plugged the one w/ that rag. maybe that repressurized it.

No.....compared to yours , who starred in flying leathernecks, but in truth got a deferment for flat feet and stayed home. "Tough guy, " John Wayne. My hero was Jimmy Stewart. I also include george McGovern.

How does one get a deferment for flat feet? That was a disqualifier back then.

John Wayne was exempted from service due to his age (34 at the time of Pearl Harbor) and family status, classified as 3-A (family deferment). He repeatedly wrote John Ford saying he wanted to enlist. John Wayne did not attempt to prevent his reclassification as 1-A (draft eligible), but Republic Studios was emphatically resistant to losing him, and Republic Pictures intervened in the Selective Service process, requesting Wayne's further deferment. Republic Studios also threatened a lawsuit if John Wayne walked out of his contract.

U.S. National Archives records indicate that John Wayne had, in fact, made an application to serve in the OSS, today's equivalent of the CIA, and had been accepted within the U.S. Army's allotted billet to the OSS. William Donovan, OSS Commander, wrote Wayne a letter informing him of his acceptance in to the Field Photographic Unit, but the letter went to his estranged wife Josephine's home. She never told him about it. Donovan also issued an OSS Certificate of Service to John Wayne.

Sorry for the confusing some people with the truth. At least George McGovern was a pilot and flew B-24s in Europe. He was influenced with Lindberghs solo flight across the Atlantic, like almost all young boys were at that time. He grew up poor during the depression and learned the value of work, something rarely seen in democrat politicians today.

The exposed yet functional hard drive on the bomb was what made that movie

Don't forget the lasers protecting the inner core thingy!

I also vaguely remember a movie about a modern aircraft carrier going back in time, F16s vs Zeros, I think it was the FO ended staying behind, made millions in the market, sports gambling; then met the ship when it returned. Anybody remember that one, maybe that's the true event it was referring to?

Last edited:
Don't forget the lasers protecting the inner core thingy!

I also vaguely remember a movie about a modern aircraft carrier going back in time, F16s vs Zeros, I think it was the FO ended staying behind, made millions in the market, sports gambling; then met the ship when it returned. Anybody remember that one, maybe that's the true event it was referring to?

Final Countdown. And it was F-14s.

IIRC, the Navy used a bunch of footage from that movie to make a propaganda film called Sea Legs (or something like that).

You're wrong about Bob Cummings. He never rose above the rank of Captain, and that was in the reserves. He was a flight instructor during his active service. Stewart was a pilot before WWII and busted ass to bulk up enough to get into the service during the war (despite being rejected twice for being underweight). He went in as an enlisted man (being too old for the air cadet program), but managed to move up after Pearl Harbor. Stewart bristled at his use as an instructor and PR front for the air corps, and finally succeeded in getting a posting to a bomber squadron eventually becoming commander of a deployed unit (445th bomb group). Stewart made Colonel and was active in the reserves after the war, eventually promoted to Brigadier General and flew the B-36, B-47, and B-52. He flew at least one mission over Viet Nam.

Yeah, flying a Taylor Air Car is cool, but I'd give hands down to Jimmy for being a more true PILOT than Bob.

\
His Vice-President, on the other hand, knew how to fly an airplane.

1401383813938.gif

His VP's son on the other hand knew how to hide out in the reserves until he could concoct a way (refusing to appear for a flight physical) and be kicked out.

I love to hear what Stewart sounded like on the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Final Countdown. And it was F-14s.

IIRC, the Navy used a bunch of footage from that movie to make a propaganda film called Sea Legs (or something like that).
Why would they have needed to make another propaganda movie?

The movie itself was a showcase for the (at the time) brand new F-14 and CVN 68.

His VP's son on the other hand knew how to hide out in the reserves until he could concoct a way (refusing to appear for a flight physical) and be kicked out.

If one really wanted to "hide out in the reserves" wouldn't you just get a desk job instead of flying the F-102 Delta Dagger. A plane known to be difficult to fly.

So I'm watching this movie.
Quick question. Does a 757 have independently moving yokes?

There's a lot of one guy steering and the other yoke is motionless.

Also there is a lot of both pilots manning the yokes together
I noticed that too. I guess the captain wasn't strong enough to push the yoke by himself.

But the best part of the whole movie was how the stewardess's blouse kept coming open just a little tiny bit every few scenes. Now, if the movie had just lasted a few more hours, it might have been worth it.

Other than that, the title is close to being spot-on.

After yall mentioned the Final Countdown I had to go and rewatch it!:D I thought it was still good entertainment.

I love the Saturday night SyFy B-Films!! Growing up my dad and I would watch them every Saturday and laugh our butts off.

If yall want the THE ABSOLUTE stupidest movie then yall need to watch Rubber. It should still be on Netflix.

Be warned 6PC, you'll need some drugs and alcohol to make it through!! :yes:

When I was in Jr High, my school bus route took me right past the shipyards where I got to watch the Nimitz built. Later, when the Final Countdown was released, I saw it in the local theater. There were a lot of sailors there, too. And many of them had been extras during filming. It was pretty fun to watch the movie, then listen to them hoot and holler whenever they recognized each other on screen.

After yall mentioned the Final Countdown I had to go and rewatch it!:D I thought it was still good entertainment.

I love the Saturday night SyFy B-Films!! Growing up my dad and I would watch them every Saturday and laugh our butts off.

If yall want the THE ABSOLUTE stupidest movie then yall need to watch Rubber. It should still be on Netflix.

Be warned 6PC, you'll need some drugs and alcohol to make it through!! :yes:

Is that the one about the tire that kills people?
If so, I believe I watched it one time after a few drinks.

I noticed that too. I guess the captain wasn't strong enough to push the yoke by himself.

But the best part of the whole movie was how the stewardess's blouse kept coming open just a little tiny bit every few scenes. Now, if the movie had just lasted a few more hours, it might have been worth it.

Other than that, the title is close to being spot-on.

I did notice fewer buttons as the movie progressed.

I also noticed a complete absence of the phonetic alphabet
"Eye Aye 429 beginning our descent"

Back