The 9/11 terrorist that I met.

geezer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kruse'n
Just prior to 9/11, I was enjoying a fine flying day at College Park airport, just hanging out and visiting with who ever was there. That was a popular activity then.

A young Arab opened a conversation in fair quality English, introducing himself as new to the Washington area, and a pilot. After discussing the flying that was occurring that day, he pointed out that he wanted to go flying, but there were no rental planes on the field. Could I give him a sightseeing flight over Washington? I did have a Commercial rating, so he could pay me, but I was very aware that the prohibited airspace on the charts grossly understates the actuality of flying over the city.

After I had convinced him that such a flight was impossible (Not really impossible, but not practical without major preparation), we talked further on flying in general, then he left.

Then 9/11 occurred, I remembered the conversation, and called the FBI. I had a conference with an Agent, recalled all I could about the encounter, and he showed me some pictures of Arabic appearing men. Several resembled my Arab closely, and he informed me that one was the pilot who did not see the White House, and hit the Pentagon.

If we had made the flight, he would have been more likely to pick out the White House from the air, and it would have been destroyed. It is not nearly as rugged as the Pentagon, and much smaller.

There were internal restrictions of flight over the city. They could be waived by any controller if it seemed to be appropriate. They rarely were waived, and that saved the White House. I had flown over the city many times, but for my own convenience. Over use closes such waivers, and I might want one later.

One of the 9/11 pilots tried to rent a Cessna at Freeway Airport, but his skills were so bad they would not rent to him, and he was not willing to take enough lessons to rent solo, so that attempt to fly over down town failed. After 9/11 they matched the data from the rental request to one of the Pentagon pilots.

Were they the same man? Or two separate attempts, one by each of the pilots to get the knowledge required for a successful attack?

Small things change history.

In summer of 2002, I was working ground crew for a crop duster. As typical, we were flying out of a sleepy little airport in the middle of the country. I was in the process of loading one of the planes that had just landed. I looked up and three middle-eastern looking guys were standing on the ramp looking at the plane. It wasn't uncommon for folks to come out to see the planes once they heard us buzzing around, but my spidey senses were tingling this time. They walked up and were asking the regular questions people ask.. What kind of plane is it... How fast does he go when he's spraying... Is it dangerous... etc.. Then he asked if he could take pictures - the pilot sometimes leaves the door open while we load and I assume he wanted to get picture of the cockpit. Now, pre-9/11 I would have said "Sure.. no problem." but this time I said "Nope. Sorry. We're handling chemicals and you'll need to move to the other side of the ramp."

After I got the plane loaded, I looked for the guys and they were gone. I called my boss and told him what happened. He said he had gotten a call from the FBI earlier that day saying to keep a close eye on our planes and secure everything closely. Who knows what was in the works that never came to fruition... Or maybe it was just some airplane guys who wanted to see a semi-unique plane. Who knows?!

Fast forward to October 2002. Our college flying club was planning a flying trip to Chicago. We sent out the info to the club mailing list to see who wanted to go to see how many planes we needed to reserve. We got the standard 3-4 folks that wanted to go on every trip, but this time we got an additional 3-4 folks with middle-eastern sounding names. I was president of the club at that time, so I called the VP and said "Hey man.. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I haven't seen any of these people at any of our meetings and I don't recognize their names from being active in the past. Am I a dirt bag for feeling uneasy about this?" He said he had similar thoughts. We devised a plan where we would call the FBO ahead of time and ask them to check all baggage before we got into the planes. We would back it up and say that it was a club rule. We also decided that none of the folks with middle-eastern names would sit in the copilot seat. Eventually we didn't make the trip due to weather. We never heard from any of those folks in the club list again. Again.... Pre 9/11 it would just be "Oh cool.. New folks! Come along!" - it was an engineering school, so middle-eastern names were not uncommon - but post-9/11 it's just hard to not think something is in the works.

Closest I came was one of the 9/11 terrorists had joined a Gold’s Gym in Hollywood, FL I was a partner in. Don’t recall which one, and I don’t think I ever met him.

Back