The 2013 Reno Air Races Thread

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Since I am leaving in 33 days I thought I would start a thread here. I hope to make this year so much better than last year.

I have a lot more "pilot connections" this year and last year I did not.

Last year my connections were at the airport and through the logistics and security coordinators.

This year, thanks to Facebook (and unknown to me) I'm already "friends" with several of the planes / pilots / crew.

Who knew?

Hope to see some of you there . . . though you will have to coordinate with me directly since my 6-8 hours per day volunteer job for the Reno Air Races Association (RARA) will have me offsite and inaccessible.

I'd like to go, but it will end up depending on what the loads on Southwest end up being, to see if can jumpseat in or not

I will be there as I am every year. My friends crew for VooDoo, and I have a few friends that race in Sport and Biplane classes. Party at Brew Bros Saturday night!!!!

I will be there as I am every year. My friends crew for VooDoo, and I have a few friends that race in Sport and Biplane classes. Party at Brew Bros Saturday night!!!!

Sorry, Saturday night I'm at the annual Purple Board party. Doubt I can make an appearance at both, considering it is off about 15 minutes out at an RV park. What time is Brew Bros?

I live in Reno, so I've been going to the air races since the 70s. On my second ever flying lesson, we did some landings at Stead and I have landed there nearly 100 times since. Real treat since I had been watching the races there for such a long time. I'll be out there again this year, but will be keeping the plane parked... too many other airplanes in town!

Sorry, Saturday night I'm at the annual Purple Board party. Doubt I can make an appearance at both, considering it is off about 15 minutes out at an RV park. What time is Brew Bros?

the performers and friends go from about 7pm to shutdown. It is an annual blast.

the performers and friends go from about 7pm to shutdown. It is an annual blast.

I don't know Nevada booze laws, when is shut down? Like 2am?

I have another party around 8pm (a dinner) so if I tried to make both I'd probably show up around 11pm when everyone at the "bar" is already a little bit intoxicated. Should be interesting.

I'll be there manning our booth and also putting the 140 on display. Should be a good year. :)

Our local plane, Voodoo, is running again! Gonna be a lot of fun.

I for one am anxious to see what Jeff Lavelle does in his Glasair III, Race 39. After nearly 400mph in last years race, rumor has it that Jeff installed a new engine in his Glasair! Can't wait to see what he does this year.

I for one am anxious to see what Jeff Lavelle does in his Glasair III, Race 39. After nearly 400mph in last years race, rumor has it that Jeff installed a new engine in his Glasair! Can't wait to see what he does this year.

This is what I am most excited for as well. The sport class has been very impressive, especially the last couple years.

Getting much closer, can't wait, I'm all set for a 30 minute walk the Saturday before with a good friend (at 4am). Apparently it is hell to park at the balloon races so we're boarding a balloon full of champage at 5am sharp. This after me not getting in / checking in the night before until after midnight.

Not sure being tired and champagne mix.... oh well... at least I'll have awesome stories.

Augh! Now you've got Mary and me talking about going again.

Prolly can't happen...but maybe?

Everything depends on when the people doing our hotel addition start moving. If we're where I think we will be, Reno will be impossible.

If all the various parts don't come together, we may still be in the quiet, prep construction stage. Then, maybe we can sneak away!
:D

Time flies. The races started Wednesday and end the 15th. Hopefully Kimberly will have some stories to share.

Jeff Lavelle, Race 39, a Glasair III. 403mph in qaulifying at Reno! Wow! This is just a little two seat plastic airplane.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 21
Back