That's not gonna buff right out...

Hengelo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hengelo
Anyone need a line on some falcon 900 parts?

Seems it did move a little, maybe the tugger thought it may come after all? I don’t think it got near the runway edge yet.

There may of been hope with straps to the mains also, most of the pull there. Then you need a lower profile ramp to the runway. Of course I’m not versed in recovery.

OK, after this film, where’s the next when/how they actually get it out? It must be out by now, was a bulldozer behind it next?? Maybe they banned filming after the first try.

images

Expensive snowmobile. Bet it goes like hell though! Just gotta pull the mains off.

Why wasn’t the pilot spinning all three of them twirly whirly get there early fans to help out?

Basic Muddin 101: when stuck give her all u got while Bubba pulls with his Ram. And don’t forget the beer!

Why wasn’t the pilot spinning all three of them twirly whirly get there early fans to help out?
Probably would work better to have another airplane spin it’s twirly whirly things to blow air over the wings and make some lift.

Last edited:

Basic Muddin 101: when stuck give her all u got while Bubba pulls with his Ram. And don’t forget the beer!

You mean like these Russians?

I scratching my head at this whole thing.

This was in Aspen (ASE). That place sees a bunch of biz jet traffic. If there was an airport that would be experienced in how to handle a stuck biz jet, it would be Aspen.

Instead, it looks like they told Bubba to grab his log chain and fire up the snowplow. Would love to hear more about the decision making that went down here.

If there was an airport that would be experienced in how to handle a stuck biz jet, it would be Aspen.
That’s assuming it’s “normal” for bizjets to go off the runway and get stuck, or that there are a lot of incompetent pilots flying bizjets into Aspen.

That’s assuming it’s “normal” for bizjets to go off the runway and get stuck.

Fair enough, but you'd think Aspen of all places would know better than to be yanking the aircraft by the nosewheel.

Fair enough, but you'd think Aspen of all places would know better than to be yanking the aircraft by the nosewheel.

That's the problem ... nobody was thinking.

That’s assuming it’s “normal” for bizjets to go off the runway and get stuck, or that there are a lot of incompetent pilots flying bizjets into Aspen.

In Aspen it kind of is. Seems to happen at least twice a year in the winter. Combination of shortish runway, high altitude, steep approach, and one way in one way out operation. Add in it is a very busy one runway airport, you'd think there was a better procedure.

In Aspen it kind of is. Seems to happen at least twice a year in the winter. Combination of shortish runway, high altitude, steep approach, and one way in one way out operation. Add in it is a very busy one runway airport, you'd think there was a better procedure.
I’ve never found any of those things to necessitate crashing there. :dunno:

I’ve never found any of those things to necessitate crashing there. :dunno:

I'm not saying it necessitates crashing, just that it seems to be a common occurrence at Aspen and you'd think the airport would have a better plan that a tow strap and an end loader. Especially only having a single runway, and aircraft off the runway closes the airport.

I'm not saying it necessitates crashing, just that it seems to be a common occurrence at Aspen and you'd think the airport would have a better plan that a tow strap and an end loader. Especially only having a single runway, and aircraft off the runway closes the airport.
“A better plan” also presumes that the people in charge have some actual qualification and/or desire to develop that plan.

Last edited:
Are they going to name the new sticker inside the end loader that says "do not pull aircraft out of the mud with this vehicle" after it's last driver?

So if that is airport ops or fbo doing the pulling, is there normally subrogation directed at their liability carrier?

The story in the Aspen paper is that they wanted to get it out quickly to get the airport open. The nearest crane operator that might have a big enough crane is 50 miles away. But, with a 900 being like 56K gross, I'm not sure PSI has a crane big enough, might have had to bring one out of Grand Junction.

After getting an airplane stuck a few times, Ok several times, first rule is dig dig dig.

Every plane I got stuck in the snow pretty much rolled out after digging the wheels clear.

Back