That'll leave a brown spot. A big one.

“Passengers left the aircraft using its stairs”

Must be a new option. None of the Airbuses I flew had integral airstairs.

In Goodyear, Aersale has an experimental 737 with an integrated air stair. It’s fun to see. When it retracts you see zero evidence of its existence.

kinda neato!

That was a Boeing option. Kinda rare to see actually.

That was a Boeing option. Kinda rare to see actually.

Yeah the stair is optional on the Boeing, and I think Airbus as well. Most carriers don't buy it due to cost and weight. Usually see it on carriers that do a lot of charter work to airport without jetways. I know Sun County has at least one with it.

Yeah the stair is optional on the Boeing, and I think Airbus as well. Most carriers don't buy it due to cost and weight. Usually see it on carriers that do a lot of charter work to airport without jetways.

Guess that includes grass runways or grass runway extensions at the end of the pavement ... :dunno:

IIRC the early DC-9s (which were designed for airports without airstairs) had a retractable air stair that extended horizontally and then lowered the outboard end to the ground. I haven't seen one in use in years...

Google images photo:

passenger-stairs.jpg

-Skip

IIRC the early DC-9s (which were designed for airports without airstairs) had a retractable air stair that extended horizontally and then lowered the outboard end to the ground. I haven't seen one in use in years...

-Skip

The 737 one is similar in concept. It is stored flat behind a door under the main boarding door. It is extended electrically by sliding out then unfolding and tilting down.

I believe Alaska Airlines 737s flying routes to certain airports have integrated stairs.

I believe Alaska Airlines 737s flying routes to certain airports have integrated stairs.

Yes, and when I used to jump seat from Alaska I have had to use those stairs after the W&B was done and I was the one making the plane too heavy....

Yes, and when I used to jump seat from Alaska I have had to use those stairs after the W&B was done and I was the one making the plane too heavy....
Nothing worse than having to kick a jumpseater off. Usually we can find a way...

Nothing worse than having to kick a jumpseater off. Usually we can find a way...

Yep! My pre-merger airline didn't have much to brag about contract wise, but that was one cool thing we had - the jumpseater(s) were considered part of the BEW.

Yep! My pre-merger airline didn't have much to brag about contract wise, but that was one cool thing we had - the jumpseater(s) were considered part of the BEW.
Before 9-11 I was in DFW trying to ride on an airplane. There were lots of people at the same gate. Two of us had to hang out in a lav during takeoff because we did not have seats. Things sure changed after 9-11.

Back