That'll buff right out

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
So apparently a 172 hit a wire out near Abilene a week or so ago - pilot got it down safely! Was pretty amazing to see the wing on the ramp (Aircraft was disassembled with the fuselage on a trailer). I got more pics, but don't want to post the tail number to protect whatever...

Attachments

• DJI_0060.JPG
    DJI_0060.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 98
  • DJI_0061.JPG
    DJI_0061.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 92
  • DJI_0062.JPG
    DJI_0062.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
got it down with 3/4's of a wing missing? how is that possible?

@kyleb beat me to it. It looks like the wing was disassembled after the accident. The only part missing during the accident was the ripped up portion you see closest to the camera. A 172 is not a lifting body, it wouldn't have been able to fly on just one wing, like say the F-15 way back when.

"Jay Bob and Dallas" - what manly names, rest their souls. Indeed, they died doing what they love

^I'll take that over cancer, rotting away in a nursing home, or a host of other things

.. unrelated, but these are the type of accident statistics that skew the figures against general aviation as far as safety is concerned. I don't think an accident like this is representative of the typical VFR PPL weekend warrior

Outcome is better if you take the wire right on the nose.
wire1.JPG

wire2.JPG

Though it did engage one wing, a bit...
wire3.JPG

No injuries, aircraft landed without further incident (this did happen on short final...).

Aircraft repaired and flying again.

Ron Wanttaja

Outcome is better if you take the wire right on the nose.
wire1.JPG

No injuries, aircraft landed without further incident (this did happen on short final...).

Aircraft repaired and flying again.

Ron Wanttaja

IMO, it looks better. Kinda looks like a mooney tail.

"Jay Bob and Dallas" - what manly names, rest their souls. Indeed, they died doing what they love
Yeah, I read about that one and of course that hits a bit close to home, but it does make me wonder how they got that close. This one was a pipeline deal.

Back