That should not have been as fun as it was... (SUPER LONG)

Great post, Nick. I really enjoyed reading it. It's interesting to me to hear about the weather patterns in a different part of our huge country and how pilots deal with them.

Very nice, sounds like you had a great time, played it safe, and learned something along the way...

Isn't this flying stuff cool! :D

NickDBrennan said:
snip

We started our takeoff roll, and probably only used about 700 feet tops for the roll. As soon as I popped up off the ground, I needed about a 30 degree crab angle to maintain runway heading. I immediately realized that returning to Moriarty would not be an option, as the crosswind exceeds the maximum demonstrated crosswind for the Skyhawk I was in.

snip

That was certainly a fun post to read :) Sounds like you had an awesome time! I haven't forgotten to close a flight plan yet, but came close. Now I write the reminder on my hand. I agree with you feelings on the matter.

I wanted to address the part where you felt you couldn't return to Moriarity. I think it's important to bear in mind that the max demonstrated crosswind is not a limitation. It's simply the highest crosswind they demonstrated the plane in during certification. Most can handle way more wind; the Skyhawk certainly can. It seems to me that if you were able to keep the plane straight on the takeoff roll, you had plenty of rudder to return and land if you had to.

Nick,

Way to get out of the pattern and GO somewhere!!! This is how we all learn, and we all learn something nearly every time we fly. Enjoy the new found freedom!

Chip

p.s..... close that flight plan! :yes:

That was a wonderful and detailed report, Nick. Thanks for sharing! You have amply demonstrated the point that much of the learning happens after the checkride. Your quick reactions and your ability to think through alternate plans for both the runway and weather scenarios impressed me.

Making decisions regarding weather is always the biggest challenge because it involves an inexact science in combination with human factors like ambivalence and impatience. One book I really enjoyed reading and like to refer to again and again is Weather Flying (I hope that's the correct title) by Robert Buck.

One thing I noticed in your story -- you mentioned that you were holding a 30 degree crab and that the crosswind exceeded the demonstrated crosswind for the Skyhawk. The number to be concerned with is the maximum demonstrated crosswind component. I'm sure you meant that, but I wanted to mention it in case any students reading this came to the wrong conclusion.

Great story for a new pilot to write & thanks for the details because that's what makes the story more interesting. Thanks, write some more !

We don't have any XWind runways at my base or many airports around here. We've repeatedly demonstrated C172 & C150 XWind landings with 90 degree to runway wind at 31+ knots. Very heavy experience and not really that much fun. Do lots of training tests with a CFI that not only knows what they're doing and has experience with real XWind but is up for it on the day it's happening before considering it for yourself...

Back