That One Tip

ifconfig

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ifconfig
Reading another thread, a poster talked about putting a heading bug on the wind direction to help the pilot better visualize it. Cute.

Which got me wondering: if you had one—just one—operational or procedural tip or trick that you use all the time. Something you know and do that makes you, for a few seconds at least, an ace. Maybe you learned it from your grizzled CFI(I, MEI, ATP, Astronaut) or from reading it somewhere. Something you'd tell your newbie pilot loved one that would keep them safe in the air.

What would it be?

"Find an instructor that will teach you how to fly an airplane, not how to operate one. Look out the window, feel the airplane, feel what’s going on, and fly it. I see too many people that are taught to operate an airplane like a hunk of machinery. They’re not making the airplane an extension of themselves, and they’re going to get in situations they’re not going to be able to fly out of."
Rob Holland

Start with glider lessons. You learn the science of flying before you're distracted with all the elements of powered flight that should add to your confidence and not be your confidence.

Fly the airplane,fly the airplane ,and when things go bad fly the airplane.

"Find an instructor that will teach you how to fly an airplane, not how to operate one. Look out the window, feel the airplane, feel what’s going on, and fly it. I see too many people that are taught to operate an airplane like a hunk of machinery. They’re not making the airplane an extension of themselves, and they’re going to get in situations they’re not going to be able to fly out of."
Rob Holland

I like this!

Although it's more a philosophy thing, I'm also looking for practical, implementable, immediately actionable tip or procedure.
Such as, on downwind in a Cessna 172 at 1000 AGL, keeping the strut on the runway a third of the way down is a half-mile.

Last edited:
I like this!

Although it's more a philosophy thing, I'm also looking for practical, implementable, immediately actionable tip or procedure.
Such as, on downwind in a Cessna 172 at 1000 AGL, keeping the strut on the runway a third of the way down is a half-mile.

I think that is a bad habit. Works in a C-172 what about a C-182 or a C-210? For VFR flight you should hone your 'that looks about right' senses. That will serve you better then airplane or airport specific tricks. A skill the Asiana crew lacked. For IFR just do whatever the TV tells you to.

my landings sucked for the longest time. I was always aiming for the numbers. Another CFI told me to pull the power and fly the plane down the runway as long as possible to let it settle to the ground. Anyone who flies knows this, but it was new to me at the time. That was probably my single most helpful bit of advice.

The problem with that is you can only use that in one type of airplane, with a runway of a specific length and width, and during the day. Then if you have to extend your downwind, you become kinda screwed.

I think that is a bad habit. Works in a C-172 what about a C-182 or a C-210? For VFR flight you should hone your 'that looks about right' senses. That will serve you better then airplane or airport specific tricks. A skill the Asiana crew lacked. For IFR just do whatever the TV tells you to.

Yes, it works in a C172 specifically which is why I said "… on downwind in a Cessna 172 at 1000 AGL," no?

In general (heh) I'm looking for specificity.

The problem with that is you can only use that in one type of airplane, with a runway of a specific length and width, and during the day. Then if you have to extend your downwind, you become kinda screwed.

Yes you're right, that makes sense, but as I said I'm looking for specificity not generalities or in abstract philosophy. Something that a rookie pilot flying a particular aircraft attempting to perform one particular procedure could use as an iron guide to make that procedure work well. I hope that makes sense?

Learn to land by not landing.

That is, fly down the runway at mca, holding it off, stall warning blaring, then add power and go around. Do that few times and landing's a non-event evermore.

Yes, it works in a C172 specifically which is why I said "… on downwind in a Cessna 172 at 1000 AGL," no?

Specificity is not always the answer. Flexibility will save your but. Learn what looks about right and make it work from there. You need to develop judgment independent of cheap heuristics.

Yes you're right, that makes sense, but as I said I'm looking for specificity not generalities or in abstract philosophy. Something that a rookie pilot flying a particular aircraft attempting to perform one particular procedure could use as an iron guide to make that procedure work well. I hope that makes sense?

Something that specific is good for temporary situations. For example if a student is having a problem with something, like flying the downwind at the right distance from the airport, that 1/3 strut rule will help. Then as you keep using that rule you are supposed to become familiar with the distance to then be able to fly the same distance without a strut at all.

Specificity is not always the answer. Flexibility will save your but. Learn what looks about right and make it work from there. You need to develop judgment independent of cheap heuristics.

You're correct, there's no one answer fits all. The problem is, for new pilots—which I most certainly am—we have no idea "what looks about right". What looks about right is a combination of technique (science) and art and to get there requires lots of experience including making lots of mistakes.

There is a medieval theory of learning known as the trivium that attempts to describe how humans learn. At first, there's simple data gathering then learning techniques to manage that data. Finally, as the last step in learning is applying those techniques in new ways heretofore unknown. To me, that's the "looks about right" stage of learning, where the master pilot unconsciously uses all the techniques he or she has learned over the years to make judgements without "thinking."

Until then …

I agree. Each landing is a culmination of several steps, and these are all influenced by variables such as wind, temperature, altitude and the plane itself. You learn to make adjustments so that things work out properly.

Something that specific is good for temporary situations. For example if a student is having a problem with something, like flying the downwind at the right distance from the airport, that 1/3 strut rule will help. Then as you keep using that rule you are supposed to become familiar with the distance to then be able to fly the same distance without a strut at all.

Excellent point. The temporary situation of being a new, inexperienced pilot! :)

Push forward, trees get bigger. Pull back, trees get smaller.

Whats the first thing you do when you lose an engine, at night, in IMC, and you lose all electrical? Check your watch to see if you'll be home for dinner.

I would love to discuss the philosophy of flight instruction and it can be ad neaseam, but with the understanding that these tips—eg. formulae for when to descend—are only a crutch to a newbie until they amass more data (experience).

Eg. there's a Youtube video by an instructor who calls himself airfreddy where he tells his student not to care where the runway is on turning base in a high-wing aircraft. "The runway hasn't moved" ... before turning, find a line that is 90-degrees to the left (if left base, of course) and parallels your plane's left wing which is, you guessed it, 90-degrees to the left!

Turn, disregarding where the runway is, to follow that line which leads off into the vast distance. He gives this tip because in his time, he's seen too many students in those specific high-wing Cessnas obsess over where the runway is and not pay attention to their attitudes.

Ummm, no. In general, specific tricks and tips though useful are a bit trivial and don't tend to make you an ace for a moment. In fact they may do the opposite.

The 3 liner in my closing is my favorite set of tips. I find the least obvious the most useful. Very general applicability but not particularly philosophical.

The most useful 'tip' I ever learned I got from being a right seater passenger in a Navajo. We had done an angel flight and stopped for dinner on the way home. The pilot had plenty of experience in the area and filed what he thought we'd get. He then patiently folded all the required charts, setup the panel and otherwise made note of needed freqs. He started things up as snow began to fall. Winter IMC conditions required getting a clearance via RCO so he called ATC and received a completely different clearance than what he expected. He was clearly comfortable with the change but told them to standby relative to departure. We sat for 10 long minutes while he re-folded the charts, re-briefed the departure and re-setup the panel. When and only when he was totally ready did he request his departure clearance. I recalled upon takeoff that he was in fact, in a hurry to get home..

I commented on the time involved and he just explained that it was night, with low IMC conditions in busy airspace. I heard the words but seeing him completely shut down the urge to hurry, or allow himself to skip any step in his preparation and suppress any desire to 'show off' for his passenger, was a lesson I'll never forget. That day, he became an ace in my book and it changed the way I flew from that day forward.

I guess I'm suggesting that the best tips and tricks aren't little procedural things but tend to be higher level attitudes and practices.

I would love to discuss the philosophy of flight instruction and it can be ad neaseam, but with the understanding that these tips—eg. formulae for when to descend—are only a crutch to a newbie until they amass more data (experience).

Eg. there's a Youtube video by an instructor who calls himself airfreddy where he tells his student not to care where the runway is on turning base in a high-wing aircraft. "The runway hasn't moved" ... before turning, find a line that is 90-degrees to the left (if left base, of course) and parallels your plane's left wing which is, you guessed it, 90-degrees to the left!

Turn, disregarding where the runway is, to follow that line which leads off into the vast distance. He gives this tip because in his time, he's seen too many students in those specific high-wing Cessnas obsess over where the runway is and not pay attention to their attitudes.
But the runway does move and 90 degrees is often not the desired turn.

Relate the generalities to the specific. Tell yourself what your plans are -- out loud. For example, when you check the fuel with a dip stick, write down the results in a log. Then, say out loud, "I have 4 hours of fuel for a 2 hour flight." This way, you don't just look in the tank without realizing how much fuel is there. When you are briefing your takeoff, say something like, "If the engine quits on takeoff and I am below pattern altitude, I will land in the park to the right of the apartment building that is straight ahead."

Have an instructor show you how to 'fly' down the runway on one wheel using coordination and power. Keeping one wheel on the pavement.

Switch to the other wheel midway.

Do this, and you will master your aircraft on the ground.

Another tip is on final, watch the far end of the runway. It should not be moving up or down in your frame of reference.

If it's stationary, you're flying a recommended 3 degree glideslope.

Learn to fly in an airplane that will amplify the fact that it is being flown poorly. Really good training airplanes make (a pilot) unfamiliar with the fundamentals look like a complete idiot. Don't know how to fly straight and level? A good trainer will make it challenging enough that you will simply have to learn how. Same with turns, dutch rolls, climbs, descents, stalls, spins, slips, landings and takeoffs. Combined with a patient but meticulous instructor, you will develop a good set of hands and feet.

I also share with the previous poster my admiration of any Captain who, when faced with a challenging set of circumstances, can tune out all of the extraneous BS and focus on the really important nuts and bolts of the flight…It sounds so obvious, but when gate agents, flight attendants, ramp personnel, hundreds of passengers, and oh by the way - another airplane is waiting for the gate…it's hard to explain, but sometimes it feels like the whole world is on the shoulders of the Captain.

I read this tip on another board related to mountain flying: coming into a backcountry airfield, determine your actual stall speed on that day and particular configuration & weight by stalling the aircraft away from the field then use that for approach (1.3 Vso) and landing.

Don't know how good it is, but is sounds plausible.

I read this tip on another board related to mountain flying: coming into a backcountry airfield, determine your actual stall speed on that day and particular configuration & weight by stalling the aircraft away from the field then use that for approach (1.3 Vso) and landing.

The problem is that in some planes like the C172, the approach speed of 1.3 Vso is based off of calibrated air speed, not indicated air speed. I'm not sure you want to make those calculations before landing.

The problem is that in some planes like the C172, the approach speed of 1.3 Vso is based off of calibrated air speed, not indicated air speed. I'm not sure you want to make those calculations before landing.

How far off can the numbers be, do you think?

Interesting ... would you care to explain?
Sure. When the wind is blowing, especially when blowing hard, the airport can be 'moving' relative to aircraft location, heading and speed. As you descend, it can change significantly. And in high winds, the pattern turns tend not to be 90 degree turns when done properly.

One is taught that from the beginning of one's primary instruction but so often instructional flights are limited to good weather and benign winds. Just like using landmarks at the home port to setup an approach is not very useful when operating elsewhere, tricks used with light winds may be traps when used in high winds.

For me, I still tend to mark my position for the base turn by putting the threshold just off my stabilizer and that has worked for a lot of different planes. But I continually cross check the runway position relative to my position to compensate for wind drift and any wind gradient changes. That cross check scan works in both light and high winds.

How far off can the numbers be, do you think?

At low speeds the difference can be significant. Can be 10kts.

You can check the numbers in section 6 of the POH, I think.

Last edited:

I think if your familiar with the tables you should be able to estimate it in the cockpit.

Also, even if you miscalculate it and go at 1.2Vso, so what? If your a good pilot it won't be a problem.

Sure. When the wind is blowing, especially when blowing hard, the airport can be 'moving' relative to aircraft location, heading and speed. As you descend, it can change significantly. And in high winds, the pattern turns tend not to be 90 degree turns when done properly.

Ah gotcha.

I believe the 90-degrees talked about here is in reference, not to heading, but to the ground which of course doing so takes the wind into consideration.
Keeping that in mind, and with reference to the ground, the runway isn't moving, if that makes sense.

That tip is good for any flying - 1.3 Vso is a good speed (often the 'book' speed) for almost any approach, especially if you add half the wind speed to it for higher winds (there's a good rule of thumb).

As soon as you say 'back country', I'm thinking short field and/or obstacle or perhaps even soft field operations. In those cases I'm thinking of how and where I might deviate from 1.3 Vso. And certainly for short field and over obstacle work, I'll be slower on short final. "Back country" would also have me thinking of density altitude effects on perceived speed over the ground speed.

For a 172, going out and doing a stall before a given landing is probably overdoing it. Once you have a feel for your stall speed solo and half tanks, and say for 4 people and as much fuel as you can carry, you should be able to interpolate the proper approach speed. But it is definitely worth going out trying stalls in both configs, especially if you've never stalled a 172 at full gross with people in the back. They are different animals.

Never leave ground effect at an indicated air speed less than Vx, no matter how many people are watching.

Back