That awkward radio transition

Damn, should have caught Henning's sarcasm since he included "with you" and "for"

Wasn't being sarcastic about any of it. I've never had ATC think I was heading to FL455.:rolleyes: ATC has never complained about an ident either. There is no one more worried about radio comes than dudes on a webboard. I use 'with you', 'thanks', and 'good morning/day/evening/night' regularly. Listen to airliners check in and count how many DON'T say 'with you' the number will be much more manageable than counting those that do.

Wasn't being sarcastic about any of it. I've never had ATC think I was heading to FL455.:rolleyes: ATC has never complained about an ident either. There is no one more worried about radio comes than dudes on a webboard. I use 'with you', 'thanks', and 'good morning/day/evening/night' regularly. Listen to airliners check in and count how many DON'T say 'with you' the number will be much more manageable than counting those that do.

True statement, hence my usage of the word "technique." You won't find a controller who cares if you use any of those statements, though it does make me feel nice when a FLIB thanks me for the effort. :)

All you have to give ATC on check on is your altitude information. The rest is just technique, neither right nor wrong.

Using ident on initial contact, meh, if that works for you great. It's another technique.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But what's the point in "tapping" indent while you're checking in. If you're departing from the primary airport ATC is getting radar contact by observing your target within 1 mile off the departure end. If you are departing from a satellite field, the IDENT is only to be operated by ATC request. That's in both the AIM and the .65. I guess I don't see the benefit you get by initiating an IDENT.

I agree Velocity, but in all seriousness, it doesn't matter. We see the ID on the radar, and wonder what kind of drugs that dude must be on. It's not like the pilot will get a citation or something over it.

True statement, hence my usage of the word "technique." You won't find a controller who cares if you use any of those statements, though it does make me feel nice when a FLIB thanks me for the effort. :)

All you have to give ATC on check on is your altitude information. The rest is just technique, neither right nor wrong.

Using ident on initial contact, meh, if that works for you great. It's another technique.

But what's the point in "tapping" indent while you're checking in. If you're departing from the primary airport ATC is getting radar contact by observing your target within 1 mile off the departure end. If you are departing from a satellite field, the IDENT is only to be operated by ATC request. That's in both the AIM and the .65. I guess I don't see the benefit you get by initiating an IDENT.

Because in over 25 years of flying, when I check in with ATC taking off out of an airport looking for advisories, the vast majority of the time I am asked to ident, so since it doesn't set off alarms or cause mass panic in a dark room, I just go head and supersede them from telling me to by giving it to them. I have never heard a complaint, and even have received, "There you are, radar contact resume own Nav maintain VFR and call when reaching your cruise altitude." I have never figured out all the radio drama on these boards.

Because in over 25 years of flying, when I check in with ATC taking off out of an airport looking for advisories, the vast majority of the time I am asked to ident, so since it doesn't set off alarms or cause mass panic in a dark room, I just go head and supersede them from telling me to by giving it to them. I have never heard a complaint, and even have received, "There you are, radar contact resume own Nav maintain VFR and call when reaching your cruise altitude." I have never figured out all the radio drama on these boards.

That's sound logic, and any controller would be able to see what you're doing.

I have never figured out all the radio drama on these boards.

I'll explain to you that there is no drama but I suspect you won't pay attention.

There are people that enjoy following operational rules and procedures. When those rules are clearly communicated and the reasons behind them are explained then it just makes sense to conform.

When someone comes along and suggests their own approach then those that know and follow the established rules and guidelines feel obligated to make sure the un-tutored are not mis-lead by the folks that roll their own.

As always a few folks are over-achievers (Ron) and attempt to unduly influence ("with you" is not evil).

In a nutshell the non-conformist will usually hear about their deviant behavior from the conformists. It's not drama unless you want it to be.

Not radio drama, just techniques.

It's not like you found a new, faster way to get radar identified. As I said, if you're going off the primary field you'd be identing for no reason. If you're checking in with a controller from a satellite airport and not even be on the scope yet. Your initiated ident would be a waste in that case. That's why the controller waits to see you tag up and then give the ident command. Also I know there are controllers out there who will take the 7110.65 literally and since they didn't "request" you to ident, they'll treat it as questionable identification.

At the end of the day, what ever works for you, go with it. No one is going to write you up for initiating an ident.

Ok, I assumes it was sarcasm because of how much "with you" gets trashed on here. I thought you might have been messing with me.

I don't use "with you" becuase it is redundant. If your on the frequency, your obviously with Approach. Its like greeting someone saying hi, I'm in your presence right now, which they can clearly see

I don't use "with you" because everyone and their brother uses it. It's caught on like wildfire.

So much easier just to say "checking in at angels ten." Even has a nice ring to it.

I am thinking that moving forward, I will just scat a bit
"6PC's in the Hizzouse!!! Zoopity doowap bop be bebop ba doobie dowap bop"

Back