Thanksgiving treat

Depends on the bourbon. Of course, I don't know why you have to wait for November for good booze and a high end cigar.

I love a good cigar, but it is a very rare event. They're expensive, and they do cause cancer.

You do realize yesterday was Halloween, not Thanksgiving, right?

I don’t eat turds. I bet that’s something we have in common. Pretty sure it’s probably about the only thing besides Aviation we have in common. ;-)
Turds, as disgusting as they are, don't cause cancer. Hey, I'm not saying don't smoke cigars. I like them too. I'm just saying don't smoke them daily. Besides the cancer, you're likely addicting yourself to nicotine, one of the hardest of habits to beat.

While the opinions are my own, I do have degrees in this stuff so I am not bereft of expertise. As for bourbon, we've a local brew here I live called Watershed. Spendy, but one of the smoothest bourbons I've had.

Turds, as disgusting as they are, don't cause cancer. Hey, I'm not saying don't smoke cigars. I like them too. I'm just saying don't smoke them daily. Besides the cancer, you're likely addicting yourself to nicotine, one of the hardest of habits to beat.

While the opinions are my own, I do have degrees in this stuff so I am not bereft of expertise. As for bourbon, we've a local brew here I live called Watershed. Spendy, but one of the smoothest bourbons I've had.

most of the significant cancer threat from tobacco is associated with deep lung inhalation of flue cured tobaccos in cigarettes. While cigars do increase cancer risks, how much they do is hard to quantify.

I’m not saying it’s a zero risk a activity but I do have a close friend with doctoral level degrees from Ivy League universities that works in oncology research. Guess what he likes to smoke. In conversations with him regarding this subject he ranks the overall exposure to carcinogenic substances in smoking a cigar roughly the same as eating a steak cooked on a charcoal fired grill. Of course his opinion on the subject didn’t change anything about my tobacco use. I made that choice a long time ago

it all comes down to individual choice about life and managing the risks associated with how we live. I do really appreciate you letting us a know that cigars increase cancer risk since that’s obviously something we didn’t know.

I tried a cigar once. I was 18. I turned green and through up. Must be an acquired taste kinda thing.

You have a degree in turds? Impressive, Michael! :biggrin:
My degree is in Genetics.

I’m not saying it’s a zero risk a activity but I do have a close friend with doctoral level degrees from Ivy League universities that works in oncology research. Guess what he likes to smoke.
I would never trust the opinion of anyone who does research in the causes and treatment of cancer who persists in smoking cigarettes.

In conversations with him regarding this subject he ranks the overall exposure to carcinogenic substances in smoking a cigar roughly the same as eating a steak cooked on a charcoal fired grill. Of course his opinion on the subject didn’t change anything about my tobacco use. I made that choice a long time ago
He is very badly mistaken. The chemical basis of the carcinogenesis between cigars and grilled meat are nearly entirely different. Moreover, the tissues involved are different as well. I would not trust this person's opinion. I can't imagine any meaningful research being done by someone that ignorant of the underlying biology. You should not trust his word for anything. The fact that he persist in smoking cigarettes is a pretty big giveaway on that point.

It all comes down to individual choice about life and managing the risks associated with how we live. I do really appreciate you letting us a know that cigars increase cancer risk since that’s obviously something we didn’t know.
You cannot intelligently manage risks if you do not understand the basis of said risk, and it is pretty clear to me that you don't. I honestly don't mean any insult in this (though I am very, very unimpressed with your researcher fiend), I don't expect everyone to be as steeped in these things as I am.

most of the significant cancer threat from tobacco is associated with deep lung inhalation of flue cured tobaccos in cigarettes. While cigars do increase cancer risks, how much they do is hard to quantify.
That simply isn't true. The epidemiological connection between cigars and orofacial cancers is rock solid.

I repeat I am not preaching abstinence. Hey, I like a good stogie too. Just moderation.

It can still cause orofacial cancer. I wouldn't do it on a daily basis ever.

Cancer ain’t so bad in some respects, ever had a family member with Alzheimer’s? Living to long can be a real *****......

My degree is in Genetics.

I would never trust the opinion of anyone who does research in the causes and treatment of cancer who persists in smoking cigarettes.

He is very badly mistaken. The chemical basis of the carcinogenesis between cigars and grilled meat are nearly entirely different. Moreover, the tissues involved are different as well. I would not trust this person's opinion. I can't imagine any meaningful research being done by someone that ignorant of the underlying biology. You should not trust his word for anything. The fact that he persist in smoking cigarettes is a pretty big giveaway on that point.

You cannot intelligently manage risks if you do not understand the basis of said risk, and it is pretty clear to me that you don't. I honestly don't mean any insult in this (though I am very, very unimpressed with your researcher fiend), I don't expect everyone to be as steeped in these things as I am.

That simply isn't true. The epidemiological connection between cigars and orofacial cancers is rock solid.

I repeat I am not preaching abstinence. Hey, I like a good stogie too. Just moderation.

You can’t read for crap. He smokes cigars.

You are wasting your time trying to question his credibility. You can’t even pay enough attention to what I’m saying to accurately participate in the conversation.

Gave up both cigars and bourbon. Enjoy I remember when.

Back